Regions-Harbert Promenade

csedwards72

Just curious about the downtown Parisian in Birmingham. Does it do pretty well- or is it expected to? Or is kept open because it's Parisian's hometown? Downtown department stores are so rare these days that I'm curious about why some of them stay open but so many have closed. Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand, it doesnt do maybe AS well as some suburban stores, but it still does fairly well all things considered. Fortunately, it's in the heart of the financial district so it does get a good bit of pedestrian traffic.

I forgot about that store.  I seem to remember it was a little smaller than your average dept store too.  Am I right?

Downtown Birmingham is very attractive, I think.  I wish Jacksonville had saved as many old buildings as Bham has.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The downtown location is not a typical Parisian. It doesn't carry some of the items

that other locations do. It caters to to daytime office crowd. That's why it does

well in that area.

I think I may have walked right past it and never noticed.  After all it would have been closed since I went out around downtown with my digital camera between 7 - 10 am, last Friday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you post pics Lakelander?

-J

• 1 year later...

I wonder if Belk has made up their mind what to do with this location. Does anyone know if they plan to keep it open? I certainly hope so. If it closed, that would be a huge hole to fill. All I've heard about Belk/Parisian issues is the Summit's suit to try to force Belk out.

I wonder if Belk has made up their mind what to do with this location. Does anyone know if they plan to keep it open? I certainly hope so. If it closed, that would be a huge hole to fill. All I've heard about Belk/Parisian issues is the Summit's suit to try to force Belk out.

Honestly, at this point I could careless what Belk, Inc. does with any of the Parisian stores. Most of their upper end locations around here seems to be doomed from start, but hey what do I know? Honestly, I doubt Belk will keep it open because they don't seem to see any market in downtown/CBD stores. They don't even have one in downtown Charlotte, so it is kind of obvious to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was most recently in the shopping center at the foot of the AmSouth Building and Park Place Tower, and I finally got a chance to see how much it has changed in the past 8 years. It does still have the small Parisian store, Planet Smooth, and a couple of shops, but generally it is an empty place with numerous dark, empty storefronts.

Since Downtown has been shown to have at least 20,000 permanent residents and grocers like Publix seriously considering opening a location, is there any hope for this center to make a comeback? At its peak it was home to a full food court of restaurants like Wendy's, Taco Bell, BellSouth Mobility/Cingular store, ect.

I was most recently in the shopping center at the foot of the AmSouth Building and Park Place Tower, and I finally got a chance to see how much it has changed in the past 8 years. It does still have the small Parisian store, Planet Smooth, and a couple of shops, but generally it is an empty place with numerous dark, empty storefronts.

Since Downtown has been shown to have at least 20,000 permanent residents and grocers like Publix seriously considering opening a location, is there any hope for this center to make a comeback? At its peak it was home to a full food court of restaurants like Wendy's, Taco Bell, BellSouth Mobility/Cingular store, ect.

I hadn't realize the Promenade was declining. I have been inside there for years. This seems like it could turned into a great opportunity for Belk and/or Harbert Realty... They could possibly make the plaza more of a shopping destination by reorienting the shops toward the street and creating a flagship-like Belk store. The area is in prime position to benefit from the new downtown residents as well as the guests that will come with the opening of the hotels that are planned nearby.

I agree that suburban mall type stores would be awesome. I can see something like Aeropostale, American Eagle, Hollister Co., Gap, Express, or Pacific Sunwear(Pac Sun) having stores there. Those are stores that are not very upscale, however, the people living downtown maybe be able to support some stores that are a little more upscale like J. Crew, Talbots, Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic...not sure. I know one thing is for sure, UAB is not that far at all and neither is Birmingham-Southern. All they need to do is inform students that this center exists, because I know I would want to drive all the way to The Pinnacle(Trussville), the Galleria, Brookwood Village, The Summit, or even Watermark Place to get some nice clothes from my favorite stores. It would be an excellent addition. I think a nice mixture of chain stores and maybe a few boutiques would work. Also luring some restaurants to the food court would be a must. With the Amsouth-Harbert Promenade getting itself back into shape, there may soon be 2 small, downtown malls(the other being the proposed mall in the Pizitz building). If you build it and they will come...with good advertisement.

• 1 year later...
Downtown Belk (former Parisian) closed?

Just like the upcoming closing of the downtown Charlotte Belk- nobody knew much about the store and nobody really cared?

Sad, as I recall seeing the store in the mid-90s and thought how nice it was to have a Parisian right downtown.

Archived