North Charleston Mayoral Elections

Spartan

I'm curious to know what you think about the North Charleston mayoral candidates. Which do you think would be more successful, and which do you think will be better for the Charleston region as a whole? Maybe its time for new leadership, since Mayor Summey has been there since 1994.

If the results are already in by the time you read this, then what do you think the results will mean for N Charleston and for the Charleston metro?

Article

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a hard time seeing Hillary Douglas winning over Mayor Summey. Mayor Summey has the vision to make North Chuck a better city for the future. IMO, Douglas is focused on fixing problems to the exclusion of planning for a better tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Summey won. But I'm not surprised, since Hillary did not run a well-organized campaign. However, the voter turnout for him does show some discontent with Summey's leadership. If Hillary had been more organized and vocal, he could have beaten Summey. As far as impact, the ever-increasing competition of the north city to become the primary city in the metro area will continue...unless the Magnolia and Noisette projects start providing the momentum for talk of a city merger.

Park Circle I will give you, but the other areas are not the same. They are part of the large equation, but are mostly new development in existing brownfield sites (which is important in its own right). My point is that North Charleston has a lot more existing territory that needs improvement, not that they aren't doing anything about it.

Archived