Smart comes to America

monsoon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

I think Hybrid technology will be more popular than those here. Hybrids, even in Civic sized cars can achieve 60mpg (more if they really wanted too), and would be something Americans are more use to driving.

I don't want to see the pictures of the first accident of one of those with an Expedition.

Other than my old truck, everything in my driveway is capable of 30 mpg+ (even the high modified ones), which is more than enough to survive the current gas prices.

Guest donaltopablo

I just don't see them being that popular.

The Scion xA makes nearly 40 mpg and is nearly the same dimensions as the Ford Focus. Plus, it holds 4 people and has considerably more cargo space and is in the same price range. According to the UK cost (US cost I didn't see), it will be ~12,000 for the absolute bottom of the line model. Scion xA is that price, and Hybrid technology cars can now be had (i.e. Toyota Pirus) for 20K and makes 60 mpg in the city! Plus, it's larger.

Just my thought though, I just don't see it being more than novelty item.

yeah that is kinda a "get your ass kicked" car :D

seriously though it would severly limit your options on what roads you could use, and because of that most Americans I don't see buying one, seriously I know elderly or "anti-establishment" types that just go on those scooters, the driving range (as far as staying off major highways or roads or interstates) would be the same restrictions right? I would never try driving on an interstate highway or a major highway in that, if a Semi Truck passed me doing 70 they would blow me off the road :(

Guest donaltopablo

I think you could make the argument that modern hybirds achieve 50-60mpg, a feat the Honda CRX HF achieved in the late 80s with a standard gasoline engine.

1989 Honda Civic CRX HF

Fuel Economy

Fuel Type Regular

MPG (city) 50

MPG (highway) 56

MPG (combined) 52

Annual Fuel Cost 501

Archived