Brannen Crossing

MorganA15

I came across a little bit of information about Brannen Crossing tonight.

They have it listed as Brannen Street Crossing. I don't know if it's temporary or not (Brannen Crossing sounds much better to me). It's a 150,000 square foot open-air center, which is smaller than what I expected. I'm still thinking that a phase II will follow. It will contain 4 anchors, which I believe was mentioned earlier.

It's to open in 2008, so site work should be getting underway soon.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, That is the official name of the entity developing the plot, Brannen Street Crossing, LLC. Im pretty certain that the 150,000 square-footage only refers to the main lot with the 4 anchors. The old Food Lion in Southern Square is 40,000 sq ft... so four of those arent terribly too small. Im sure the tenants will be pissed once they get settled in though and realize that their properties cannot handle the volume theyll push through.

Well, I did have two sources that specifically stated that Target is coming in 2009. Then later, I saw a friend of mine in Walmart who is enrolled at OTC. She stated that Target came to OTC's career fair and was trying to meet students to recruit. She stated that they were telling everyone at the career fair that they were opening a store here in 2009 as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I was turning left out of Buckhead Drive this afternoon on to Brannen Street so I could hit the bypass, and I happened to peek over at the BC plot. I noticed that they've cleared where the road that goes around the big box portion will be.

Maybe we'll see work start out there soon?

• 1 month later...

We may be getting closer.

A variance was requested to increase maximum building height from 35 feet to 42 feet, and maximum height from 25 feet to 31 feet for freestanding signs.

Odd thing though was that there wasn't any mention of this in the documents that followed.

It took me a few minutes to figure out your comment, but I saw that all of the information on that request is missing from the planning commission packet on the city's website. Someone with the city told me about that case and said the business names were eliminated from the drawings they were given. The developers aren't ready to make an announcement. I don't think the city is trying to keep any secret about what is going on. It looks like whoever takes care of putting that information on the website messed up. The building height variance is to allow some of the building fronts to exceed the maximum of 35' (andre's favorite rule) so some businesses get better visibility and to add some visual interest to the building.

I agree that we are getting closer. This shows they are working on architectural plans and putting together designs to meet the needs of specific companies. They must be far enough along to know exactly what they need, which means some stores are locked in or very close.

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday's city planning commission agenda included the preliminary plat for Statesboro Crossing. The preliminary plat is more than a plat and includes construction plans for the internal street, water, sewer, and drainage. In addition, the city has received the site plan for the shopping center lot. That plan does not require planning commission or city council approval, unless they need a variance.

Obviously a fair amount of money has been spent to get the project to this point. The deeper they go, the more likely the project is. I expect an announcement sometime soon.

Although that is really exciting, I am somewhat disappointed in the current anchors. Im still crossing my fingers for a bookstore, more clothing options and perhaps an electronics store. Yay for what we got though, beggars cant be choosers!!

I am very excited though about all the things that are happening in Statesboro development-wise. I have plenty to post, but no time to post any of it. I have not had one free weekend (or good nights rest) since school started in August. Im hoping to get perhaps one, before homecoming - but probably wont. lol.

While it would be nifty to have a Borders in town, those of you who are hoping for a bookstore should check out the new independent bookstore on 301 South, Book & Cranny. If we'll support their work, they might amaze us with a bigger shop one day. They've made a fantastic start already!

I love Book and Cranny. I have bought several books from there, but they usually only have one or two of the book you need and someone else has already gotten it. I love the owners too, but I suppose I crave the Barnes & Noble atmosphere more than anything. A very tolerant, open-minded thirst-for-knowledge aura that seems to set in a store like that, and of course the plentifulness of seating and lounge.

I see where you're coming from. If we'll support & nurture a shop like Book & Cranny, they could grow into something far more exciting than another Barnes & Noble. Think of the Tattered Cover in Denver, or Powell's Books in Portland: http://www.powells.com/citytour.html

With GSU growing to 25,000-30,000 students by 2020, and new faculty arriving in droves (about half of our faculty are new within the last 5 years) we could grow quite a bookstore in Statesboro-- one with a distinctly local flavor and an inspiring vibe.

I love Book and Cranny. I have bought several books from there, but they usually only have one or two of the book you need and someone else has already gotten it. I love the owners too, but I suppose I crave the Barnes & Noble atmosphere more than anything. A very tolerant, open-minded thirst-for-knowledge aura that seems to set in a store like that, and of course the plentifulness of seating and lounge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/6495/

I'm glad they did this, so all of the national retailers/restaurants can see that Statesboro is more than Bulloch County

We went to Wal-Mart on a Wednesday and took pictures of the cars in the parking lot to show retailers the car tags from all of the different counties.

• 2 months later...

A few months ago when they asked the city for a variance to allow the wall signs to be larger than normally allowed, they submitted color versions of the building elevations for the whole thing. Of course, putting a little color on most anything makes it look better. In this case though, it is obvious this will be a nicer development than some (or most) that we have. They are changing the facade heights, setting some in, and varying the materials so it's not just one flat, plain wall. Hopefully the city leaders will decide this is the new standard they want and will introduce design standards for all commercial developments ... someday.

I've been to a few BAM's as well and thought they were good stores. They aren't upscale, but certainly aren't a discount store either. I think they compete with the major bookstores. The ones I have been in have their own coffee shops, just in case we need another one.

Archived