Made in West Michigan?

I understand what you guys are saying. I guess this was a leading question so I'll just cut to the chase:

If you were to have a retail operation that sold nothing but products either made or designed by companies in W. Mich, what would you put in it?

My thoughts

- Mrs. Dogs Mustard

- Rose's Carmel Corn

- Wine from local Vineyards (but not a wine cellar per se)

- Marie Catribe's packaged granola

- Nostalgiac jukebox (Rowe)

- Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman (Herman Miller)

- Maya Lin Stones (Knoll)

- Frank Gehry High Sticking Chair (Knoll)

- Nelson Marshmellow Sofa (Herman Miller)

- Nelson Ball Clock (Howard Miller)

- Lumichron Clocks

- Froebel Gifts (Uncle Goose)

- Dreuke Games

- Uncle Goose Blocks

- Post Cards (originals, not the schlock you see now)

- Books (about Grand Rapids, by Grand Rapids authors, by native Grand Rapidians)

- Local products made / developed by Grand rapids artists

- Art

- Pottery

- gifts

- Nuke Proof sunscreen (do they still make it)?

etc. etc. etc. :)

Joe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could I forget Wolverine Worldwide?! I grew up in the town for god sakes. Good catch GRDad. Added.

More ideas appreciated. Think: Has to fit in retail environment.

I could have a lot of fun with custom drug labels. :) I don't know if the FDA would approve though. ;)

How about GRPD and GRFD? Do they have schwag?

Joe

How could I forget Wolverine Worldwide?! I grew up in the town for god sakes. Good catch GRDad. Added.

I could have a lot of fun with custom drug labels. :) I don't know if the FDA would approve though. ;)

Joe

Has UICA or the DAAC ever had a local postcard exhibit? I'm new to the area, so I don't know of any off the top of my head. If they put some of those into production, that would be awesome!

I would kill for a blue hoodie with the GR logo on it!

GR CityStore. (No hoodies shown--get that here: http://www.cafepress.com/buy/grand+rapids/...t_/fpt_/c_360/)

http://grcitystore.promoshop.com/featuredp...?DPSV_Id=145331

[query sent to Chris Gray and he replied in 4 minutes...I love this town!]

ETA: Cafe Press has a wise selection of GR logos submitted by the public. I am partial to the "large letter" postcard image...but it's cut off!

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/grand%20rapid...archBox/x_0/y_0

Koeze is a good one. Thx.

As far as the city stuff, I have never seen two of the GR logos in my life. What did they do just make them up for the shirts and hats?

Koeze Nuts...Colassal Cashews...massive chocolate puddles. Roasted right here in GR and shipped worldwide.

Try Koeze peanut butter too...you'll thank me.

I understand what you guys are saying. I guess this was a leading question so I'll just cut to the chase:

If you were to have a retail operation that sold nothing but products either made or designed by companies in W. Mich, what would you put in it?

My thoughts

- Mrs. Dogs Mustard

- Rose's Carmel Corn

- Wine from local Vineyards (but not a wine cellar per se)

- Marie Catribe's packaged granola

etc. etc. etc. :)

Joe

The Business Journal is reporting that Kellogg's may be moving another production line here from Mexico, possibly creating 60 new jobs. With Mexico having a reputation for very poor quality manufacturing practices, I can imagine it's got to be difficult having food products made there. :sick:

Maybe more products for you Joe. :thumbsup:

The Business Journal is reporting that Kellogg's may be moving another production line here from Mexico, possibly creating 60 new jobs. With Mexico having a reputation for very poor quality manufacturing practices, I can imagine it's got to be difficult having food products made there. :sick:

Maybe more products for you Joe. :thumbsup:

Heinz in Holland is one of the largest pickle producers in the world.

Grand Craft runabouts (J-Lo just bought one....)

Tiara Yachts

Howard Miller clocks

Trendway office furniture

Holland is just now losing the Reddi Whip plant (EVERY can of Reddi Whip is made in Holland as of today...)

Another great loss, LIFESAVERS! Used to be every lifesaver ever made was made in Holland.

I could be mistaken or out of date, but isn't there a nail factory in GR, I remember being back home in NY and my parents having nail boxes with made in Grand Rapids, MI on them. Then there is also American Panel in Grand Haven, they made pre-made hearth boards to protect floors underneath wood, gas and pellet stoves.

Edit: yep there is a nail factory http://www.nationalnail.com/Article.asp?ID=4

Archived