Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChiefJoJo

Southern Village

6 posts in this topic

I forgot to post this last week, but developer DR Bryan has proposed perhaps building shops and a hotel in the town center of the neighborhood.

I will say that, unless things have changed over there in the past year or so, I recall many of the stores there have had trouble staying afoat based on neighborhood business alone. Perhaps this is a good idea.

I don't think there has been much turnover at all with the businesses in Southern Village-that has been more of an issue at Meadowmont.

I went to the charrette for this site last weekend. Lots of SV residents there, and it was interesting to hear some of their NIMBY arguments. Mostly they like being able to park in the existing lot and also don't want outside visitors parking on residential streets. Initially it seemed their was no support for a building but as the groups started doing designs people became more interested. I still think that the project will be very tricky because the site is not that big and has lots of street frontage. Everyone was talking about structured/underground parking hidden from the street, which would be great but also very challenging.

The Bryan Properties folks were really pushing the boutique hotel idea, since SV has nothing like that. Also they explained that the village center was fairly successful and not in any danger, especially with Weaver St Market there, which makes it one of the only New Urbanist projects with a grocery store.

So would the lawn area bite the dust? That seems to be a pretty popular feature of Southern Village.

So would the lawn area bite the dust? That seems to be a pretty popular feature of Southern Village.