Going on a trip, need some assist

Hey all, I'll be going to D.C. with my wife in August and wondered where the good urban exploring places are. I'll have basically a whole day to myself while she attends a conference, so I'll be in "walking-shoes photo-mode". Looking for great walkable commercial districts, entertainment districts, classic architecture (other than the governmental offices and monuments), historic neighborhoods near downtown, interesting new architecture, the usual. It's my first time to D.C., so any assist would be great! :camera: I don't mind walking for miles, even in the heat. :tough:

I don't know where we're staying yet, but it will be downtown (as opposed to Virginia or suburban D.C.).

Always on the hunt for great ideas.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey all, I'll be going to D.C. with my wife in August and wondered where the good urban exploring places are. I'll have basically a whole day to myself while she attends a conference, so I'll be in "walking-shoes photo-mode". Looking for great walkable commercial districts, entertainment districts, classic architecture (other than the governmental offices and monuments), historic neighborhoods near downtown, interesting new architecture, the usual. It's my first time to D.C., so any assist would be great! :camera: I don't mind walking for miles, even in the heat. :tough:

Always on the hunt for great ideas.

I live in the Dupont Circle area- lots of restaurants and shops around here. Georgetown is a great area to walk in- especially for Federal and VVictorian architecture. When you know where you wil be staying, send me a message so I can give you more detailed advice. I know lots of restaurants too. I think you will enjoy D.C..

I live in the Dupont Circle area- lots of restaurants and shops around here. Georgetown is a great area to walk in- especially for Federal and VVictorian architecture. When you know where you wil be staying, send me a message so I can give you more detailed advice. I know lots of restaurants too. I think you will enjoy D.C..

No Smithsonian this time. Probably when we take the kids when they get a bit older. Anything relatively CHEAP and walkable, and within walking distance, or a short train or taxi ride. :thumbsup: Can you rent bikes somewhere?

Oh yeah, any interesting train or subway stations?

I'd post this in the D.C. section, but it's a pretty slow forum and I know we have a lot of travelers here.

Thanks for the link GR1!

Take the Metro to the Dupont Circle stop. For there you will see a freakishly long escalator to the top. From the bottom of the escalator you can't even see the top. Awesome/scarry. I believe it's on the Red Line.

Dinner at DC Coast. Prepare to pay top dollar, but worth every cent.

Dinner at Philamena's in Georgetown. One of the best restaurants I've ever been to. Pricey.

Dinner/cocktails atop the Hotel Washington. Nice view of the White House. Quite pleasant.

Capitol Hill architecture is stunning. If you like Federal.

Go to Old Town Alexandria. It's on the Blue Line (metro). Too many things to see to list. If you're taking a dog, they have doggie-happy hour at the top of the Holiday Inn.

Do NOT eat on the Metro, it is not allowed. When I lived there a gal was arrested for eating a banana on the Metro. Metro Police stripped searched her. Luckiest day of her life, as she sued for millions and won. (Off topic, I know. Just a friendly warning about consuming on the metro.)

I think the Spy Museum is still downtown, and it is exactly what it's named - a museum if spy-related things.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, give anyone money if they ask/beg. Don't even acknowlege them or look them in the eye. You will be pegged a tourist immediately and they will be ruthless. Just say no.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll post again.

Dinner at DC Coast. Prepare to pay top dollar, but worth every cent.

Dinner at Philamena's in Georgetown. One of the best restaurants I've ever been to. Pricey.

Dinner/cocktails atop the Hotel Washington. Nice view of the White House. Quite pleasant.

Thanks Nate. I just found out it's the Grand Hyatt Washington at the corner of H St and 10th and across the street from the convention center. Based on some maps I found, it looks pretty centrally located and right near the Metro Center station:

http://images.travelnow.com/hotels/SFO_HY02.map.gif

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=16&om=1

It's too bad I will only be there one night and one full day. :( That's why I'm planning it out in advance. :thumbsup:

Thanks Nate. I just found out it's the Grand Hyatt Washington at the corner of H St and 10th and across the street from the convention center. Based on some maps I found, it looks pretty centrally located and right near the Metro Center station:

That is hilarious, Dadoff...slip of the tongue, so to speak...Right in the shadow of the capital is a botanical garden and they had amazing things, special plants from all over the country, historic ones, etc...Great to spend a little while.

Archived