Wilmington Metro Development

CapeFearRiver10

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article in todays (06/16/2007) Wilmington Star News says the city council has received five bids for the new hotel to be located with the new convention center downtown. Out of the five companies the most notable is John Q Hammons Industries of Springfield Mo.They operate 65 hotels in 23 states including five hotels in North Carolina. Those include Embassy Suites in Charlotte, Cary, and Greensboro a Renaissance Suites in Charlotte and a Homewood Suites in Greensboro. Considering the fact that the city council wants a higher quality full service hotel, I think an Embassy Suites might be a real possibility.

A city spokesman said details on the proposals will be released next week after private financial information is released.

The convention center its self is still on schedule and a ground breaking is to be scheduled soon.

I will try to post any information next week when it becomes available.

Carolina Beach was one of the first NC beaches I took my wife to when we were dating. She liked it but said it needed more vibe to it. She did say it was better than Va beach. The traffic there makes having a hassle free time impossible. I'm sure this is just the beginning for CB. The way Wilmington is hot right now it is only amount of time before the southern coast becomes more attractive.

The new Home Depot is well underway at Monkey Junction. The exterior will probably be complete in a couple of weeks. The land beside the strip center where the Depot is being built has been cleared. A lot of land has been cleared. This is the area where a new theater multiplex and free standing restaurants were planned about a 1 1/2 years ago. I wonder if that is still the plans for this location? It would be a great place for movie theaters,there are no nice theaters located on that side of town.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: The new Home Depot shopping center at monkey junction will also have another Staples, Petsmart, and a couple as of yet unannounced national chains retail stores and also chain restaurants to be announced soon.

• 1 month later...

Home Depot at Monkey Junction had their grand opening this week. Other construction going on in the Monkey Junction area;

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Alliance Credit Union

Holiday Inn Express

Carmike Theaters

Harris Teeter

PetSmart

Staples

unnamed shopping center

All of these are under construction except the Holiday Inn Express. The plans for construction on this project will start this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

The New Hanover County Commissioners approved plans for a third Lowe's Home Improvement store in Wilmington Wednesday night.

The new Lowe's will be located near the Northern Outer Loop (I 140) in the Porters Neck area. Construction will begin almost right away, even though there is a building moratorium because of the northeast interceptor sewer line construction/repairs in this area. The moratorium should be lifted by early next year.The developer may build, but will not be able to connect to the sewer system until the ban is lifted.

As a side note there will be a boom in construction early next year when the moratorium is lifted around January. There are a lot of projects planned and ready to go. The largest is the new Autumn Hall mixed use development which is going to be a project about the size of Mayfaire. Pre-construction has already begun.

• 1 month later...

Here is a list of the new stores and restaurants to open soon at Mayfaire Town Centre and Community Center, some will open this month, some by early next year. I will add to this site as more info becomes available.

Opening this month;

Pottery Barn

Eddie Bauer Sportswear

Victoria's Secret

several smaller shops

Opening by Early January under construction now;

Trysports

J Crew

more small shops

Two larger retail shops, reserved spaces but yet unannounced

Restaurants opening by early next year;

Panera Bread

The Melting Pot

Brixx (Italian Food)

Three more reserved spaces, but unannounced restaurants

Three more large retail spaces are under construction 45,000 sq ft, 25,000 sq ft, and 20,000 sq ft all spaces reserved but unannounced.

Land is being prepared (leveled and filled) for another business building and another hotel.

Archived