Best Outer-Suburban Atlanta County

Scraper Enthusiast

Your Favorite Outer-Suburban Atlanta County?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite County

• Cherokee County
    • Coweta County
    • Douglas County
    • Fayette County
    • Forsyth County
    • Henry County
    • Newton County
    • Paulding County
    • Rockdale County
    • Walton County

What is the best outer-suburban Atlanta county? Some may be more built-up than the others, but the counties I'm listing are counties where the "sprawl" has radiated out from the five core counties (Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, Clayton) into the following counties in a contiguous built-up area. All of the following counties may not be completely built-out, but they have a significant percentage of their county's land area that has become suburban.

I have chosen to omit a few metro Atlanta counties:

Bartow: While Bartow is seeing significant growth in and around Cartersville, its development is detached from Cobb County, as the small city of Emerson, between Acworth in Cobb County and Cartersville, isn't much more developed than it was many years ago. I'd argue that such will likely change within the next five years, and perhaps then I'd include Bartow, but not now.

Carroll: While Villa Rica and Temple in northeast Carroll are seeing significant growth, the density of growth between Douglas and Paulding Counties, and within Carroll itself, is slightly less than what I'd need to see to be inclined to include it within the list. No doubt that within five to ten years it will be able to be included.

Barrow: This county, northeast of Gwinnett, is seeing significant growth, but it is in much the same position as Carroll. Not quite enough development within and to the Gwinnett mass of development.

Jackson: Same deal that Barrow is dealing with.

Spalding: I have chosen not to include Griffin-Spalding because the county hasn't grown much like the other metro Atlanta counties, and because it operates in a somewhat independent nature with Griffin being the highlight and growth center of the county, much like Bartow and Cartersville operate. There appears to be less connection with nearby Atlanta suburban counties.

Pickens: Granted this county has seen relatively strong growth for its size, this county is overwhelmingly rural.

Any of the counties picked up after the last census: Much like Pickens, the counties are too rural and detached from having a steady stream of continuous development.

HallI'll admit that Hall County is debatable. It could go either way, considering that Flowery Branch and Oakwood have seen massive amounts of suburban development, but since Gainesville and Hall County are considered their own metro area, I have chosen to omit it.

That leaves the following counties for contention of best outer-suburban county as the following:

1) Cherokee (Woodstock, Canton, Holly Springs, Hickory Flat)

2) Coweta (Newnan, Sharpsburg, Senoia, Madras)

3) Douglas (Douglasville, Lithia Springs, Winston)

4) Fayette (Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Starrs Mill, Tyrone)

5) Forsyth (Cumming, S. Forsyth/John's Creek)

6) Henry (McDonough, Stockbridge, Locust Grove, Hampton)

7) Newton (Covington, Oxford, Porterdale)

8) Paulding (Dallas, Hiram, New Georgia)

9) Rockdale (Conyers)

10) Walton (Loganville, Monroe)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The topic says "Best..." But the poll says "Favorite..." I think there is a big difference between these two words and if you want to know what's "Best...", then some criteria would definitely be needed since what's considered Best for one person may not be best for another.

Archived