DTW layover pics

Veloise

Flew home to Grand Rapids through the new terminal last night, and took that opportunity to shoot some pics.

When I walked in, the tunnel was playing light jazz and had these colors.

dtw-01.jpgdtw-04.jpg

dtw-03.jpg

dtw-05.jpgdtw-02.jpg

dtw-06.jpg

Did not race through it, but it didn't take very long to cycle through to these soothing shades and more Star Warsy sounds.

dtw-09.jpgdtw-08.jpg

The boy shown is from Atlanta. He loved the tunnel, and the fountain too. His mom had a much less enthusiastic viewpoint. "You're paying for it, too." Sheesh.

dtw-10.jpgdtw-11.jpg

I could have spent much more time watching this, but...um...felt inspired to go find a facility.

dtw-13.jpg

L@@K!! Detroit has mass transit!!!

dtw-14.jpgdtw-15.jpg

Always on the lookout for great souvenirs (this is a magnet, photographed atop a Freep for which I searched three stores)

suitcase.jpg

Once the NWA modeling gig ends, this woman might have a celebrity look-alike career ahead of her.

minors.jpg

GRIPE: GRR (in Grand Rapids) has free Wifi. Little Rock has free Wifi.

DTW: $7.95 a day.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sinking into the sea? Huh?

That's DTW's Midfield Terminal (Edward H. McNamara Terminal/The Northwest WorldGateway) completed in 2002. It includes 122 gates, a people mover, among other amenities.

Not just that, but the Smith Terminal, the oldest terminal at DTW completed in 1957, is being replaced by the new, modern-styled, 700,000 square foot, 29-gate North Terminal, which is to open in 2008. Once the North Terminal is completed, the Smith Terminal will be demolished, and thank god.

Check out this link:

http://www.metroairport.com/project/

Development_Map_lg.jpg

detroit_baggage2.jpg

DTW_NTR_E1.gif

DTW_NTR_E2.gif

DTW_NTR_E5.gif

Really, DTW is nearly a whole new airport.

• 6 months later...

So, I always wondered...isn't the tunnel of lights the underground connecter to the international terminal? If so, do many domestic fliers just go down there to check it out because they know of it? If not, it seems like most people who come through the airport would never knew it existed meaning it's only visited by international travelers (mostly). Or am I wrong? I've never flew through the new Terminal at Detroit.

I'm pretty sure all different sorts of flights come through those terminals. In fact I think the international flights actually use the main concourse as the planes are usually larger and more full of people. If you look at the image above you'll see that the largest planes are on Concourse A while many of the smaller planes are on B and C.

Archived