The "Develop Indian Trails or Not" Poll

tamias6

The "Develop Indian Trails or Not" Poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. So which is it?

• Golf Cart
    • Shopping Cart
    • Somthing Else (explain)

In light of the the potential political controversy of GR's idea to sell/lease Indian Trails golf course to a developer in a bid to revive its stretch of 28th street, what do you think? Should Indian Trails be developed or stay as it is.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 28th street could use some revitalization, but not at the expense of the only large portion of green space left in that area. It nicely breaks up the asphalt parking lots. If they want to put in more or better stores, I think what the are doing at Centerpointe is right on; redeveloping an area that is already parking and has the necessary infrastructure. 28th Street needs to see more of such developments.

100 years from now city-owned recreational land will still be something we're glad to have.

Another WalCVSAid and Johnny Carraba's Garden will not.

There's no more public land to be had in the city (that is to say once we've sold it, it's gone forever...essentially). Don't start selling it off. That's my general take.

A metro park with a skate park and bmx ramps and stuff. Maybe a pond with pedal boats and model boats or something like that. Could even be a place for outdoor concerts as there is at least some distance between it and the surrounding neighborhoods. Could be a private or public venture or some combination. That's my 2 cents.

A city-owned golf course cannot be replaced while shopping can go just about everywhere. There's too many underused shopping areas such as Rogers Plaza to add yet another large chunk of retail to 28th Street.

Wouldn't strip malls out here serve as competition to efforts to revitalize retail in downtown, eastown, etc.?

There's plenty of empty space along 28th that could be redeveloped. Indian trails is a nice bit of green space, and I've always thought it was a great place to run in the spring and fall when golfers aren't out. Also, a lot of cross country skiers use the space in the winter. It sits quite a ways below 28th, so it seems like they'd have to move a lot of earth to make it accessible from anywhere besides Kalamazoo street.

Golf courses aren't sustainable, but I'll take it over more asphalt any day.

There's plenty of empty space along 28th that could be redeveloped. Indian trails is a nice bit of green space, and I've always thought it was a great place to run in the spring and fall when golfers aren't out. Also, a lot of cross country skiers use the space in the winter. It sits quite a ways below 28th, so it seems like they'd have to move a lot of earth to make it accessible from anywhere besides Kalamazoo street.

Golf courses aren't sustainable, but I'll take it over more asphalt any day.

...And 20years from now Alpine Ave. EBL, and Rivertown Parkway will too be slums, while new suburban rings further out sprout up. Suburban sprawl reminds me of a wild fire. The fire advances burning any combustible material in sight and leaves ashes in its wake. Well places south of M-6 are the materials ahead of the fire, 44th-68th street is the fire, while 28th-36th street are the ashes left in the fire's wake.

the fact that 28th street is losing its viability as a retail corridor in light of the alpines, 44th's, and e. beltline's; lead me to believe that poorly planned cities are not "sustainable"... not green spaces/parks/ and to a lesser extent golf courses

I've always compared it to an agressive cancer. :) It's a perfect representation of our anxious, fickle, throw-away society. The shelf-life of unsustainable sprawl is getting shorter and shorter, and this type of design begets more of the same. I like Zen's idea of transforming it into a public park if a golf course is no longer a viable option for the city.

Lansing is having the exact same problem, right now. It operates four golf courses with an increasingly shrinking budget, or mayor wants us to get out of the golf business as we're having a hard time finding money for just basic city services. He wants to sell or transfer at least two of the courses off to companies/neighboring municipalities that will either continue operating them as golf courses or turn them into parks. The city council has been far too scared of possibly ticking off city golf lovers, who have been very vocal. However, in our case, none of them are even being considered for redevelopment. That's something city residents would never go for.

I've always compared it to an agressive cancer. :) It's a perfect representation of our anxious, fickle, throw-away society. The shelf-life of unsustainable sprawl is getting shorter and shorter, and this type of design begets more of the same. I like Zen's idea of transforming it into a public park if a golf course is no longer a viable option for the city.

Lansing is having the exact same problem, right now. It operates four golf courses with an increasingly shrinking budget, or mayor wants us to get out of the golf business as we're having a hard time finding money for just basic city services. He wants to sell or transfer at least two of the courses off to companies/neighboring municipalities that will either continue operating them as golf courses or turn them into parks. The city council has been far too scared of possibly ticking off city golf lovers, who have been very vocal. However, in our case, none of them are even being considered for redevelopment. That's something city residents would never go for.

Therein lies a fundamental Gov't / Private sector question - Does our local government need to be in the golf business when there are multiple choices for the same service in the private sector? Keep the land - privatize the golf course.

As long as you mean publicly accessible golf course, city-owned land, privately managed...that is the route to take, I agree.

The city shouldn't be saddled with management...but they shouldn't part with the land either.

Does the City actually make a profit with this thing? If so, then I dont have a problem with them running it. But I agree that the City doesn't need to be in the golfing industry.

I say leave it for golf; heck, do ANYTHING other than develop into more shopping. I think there are plenty of places to buy crap on 28th Street.

Does the City actually make a profit with this thing? If so, then I dont have a problem with them running it. But I agree that the City doesn't need to be in the golfing industry.

I say leave it for golf; heck, do ANYTHING other than develop into more shopping. I think there are plenty of places to buy crap on 28th Street.

• 2 weeks later...

What about a mix use iteration of a golf course community. For instance instead of the usual McMansions squeezed between fairways type of setup, how about inserting some shops, offices, restaurants, row houses, etc. between the fairways. We get the development needed to revive 28th street while keeping green space and a functional golf course. Give me a bit to workup a sketchup file...

Archived