Barack Obama

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kerry wasn't that bad of an option, really...a bit bland and boring, but still would have made a good president. There's just something about Obama that really grabs me. There's an energy...it's almost (and I really hate to make this comparison, but it's the obvious one to make in my view)...it's almost Kennedy-esque (and I'm talking JFK/RFK, not Ted).

Kerry wasn't that bad of an option, really...a bit bland and boring, but still would have made a good president. There's just something about Obama that really grabs me. There's an energy...it's almost (and I really hate to make this comparison, but it's the obvious one to make in my view)...it's almost Kennedy-esque (and I'm talking JFK/RFK, not Ted).

I'm concerned slightly about Barack's lack of experience, after his comment during his speach this week. His comment stating he would send ground forces into Pakistan without Musharraf's approval to weed out terrorist, seemed to go against what I've thought were his core prinicples. Pakistan is a sovereign nation and has been an ally (to what degree can be questioned). I thought Barack would go much more the diplomatic route.

Not sure.......not sure......

I'm concerned slightly about Barack's lack of experience, after his comment during his speach this week. His comment stating he would send ground forces into Pakistan without Musharraf's approval to weed out terrorist, seemed to go against what I've thought were his core prinicples. Pakistan is a sovereign nation and has been an ally (to what degree can be questioned). I thought Barack would go much more the diplomatic route.

Not sure.......not sure......

^ Well written. :thumbsup:

Your first couple of paragraphs, give insight as to why I'm uncertain about him. He started his campaign as being fresh....not a typical Washington politician.....not an insider......he was going to run a "different" kind of campaign. So now Hillary calls him naive, and to counter her, he comes up with a reactionary foreign policy to look strong. Foreign policy that is about face from his statement concerning open meetings with anti US nations. That isn't what I expected of him. :( It is a slight waffle.

I'm not too thrilled with any of the candidates this time, in either party.

Last night at dinner, some friends and I discussed our wishes for a three party (or 4 or 5 for that matter) system. Seems the US has gotten in a pattern of Republican, then Democrat, then Republican, then Democrat. We had Bush (Rep), then Clinton (Dem), now Bush (Rep), and I assume in 2008 another (Dem). One party holds office for 4 or 8 years. We aren't happy with them, and we switch. Then we aren't happy with that party, so we switch back.

Honestly, neither party shares my views. I'm gay and socially liberal, so Republicans are out. I want lower taxes and less government entitlement programs, so Democrats are out. Surely I'm not the only one in the middle? Why don't we have a TRUE third party?

Your first couple of paragraphs, give insight as to why I'm uncertain about him. He started his campaign as being fresh....not a typical Washington politician.....not an insider......he was going to run a "different" kind of campaign. So now Hillary calls him naive, and to counter her, he comes up with a reactionary foreign policy to look strong. Foreign policy that is about face from his statement concerning open meetings with anti US nations. That isn't what I expected of him. :( It is a slight waffle.

Last night at dinner, some friends and I discussed our wishes for a three party (or 4 or 5 for that matter) system. Seems the US has gotten in a pattern of Republican, then Democrat, then Republican, then Democrat. We had Bush (Rep), then Clinton (Dem), now Bush (Rep), and I assume in 2008 another (Dem). One party holds office for 4 or 8 years. We aren't happy with them, and we switch. Then we aren't happy with that party, so we switch back.

Honestly, neither party shares my views. I'm gay and socially liberal, so Republicans are out. I want lower taxes and less government entitlement programs, so Democrats are out. Surely I'm not the only one in the middle? Why don't we have a TRUE third party?

• 2 months later...

Was in a store last night that had Fox News :sick: playing and caught the tail end of story about Barack and the flag. Curious that were rehashing old news, I looked it up on the net. Seems while campaigning, Barack was the only candidate not to put his hand over his heart. What do you guys think of this?

On one level I think it's silly, but yet something is bugging me about it.....its seeming like a snub to me. The flag is our symbol of freedom (and in this day and age with freedoms being taken away left and right by Bushy and friends, IMO its important we show our support for freedom).

Here is what I found on the net:

http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/10/obamas_dis...ng_behavior.php

Barack is popular mostly because of his ability to articulate an attractive, future and hope oriented message.

Moderators - any chance there could just be created a 2008 primary thread, since the late January primaries by both parties will play a huge role not only nationally, but to the state as a whole, and due to Greenville's role too?

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time in my life, I was able to attend a presidential debate last week. The UNLV Democratic debate in Las Vegas.

Quite the eye opening experience!!!

What I found most interesting was all the visual cues you miss when watching a debate on TV. On TV, when one candidate is speaking, the camera is focused on that candidate, and you miss the reactions / body language (slight as they may be) of the other candidates. I found the candidates reactions to their peers, far more telling than their answers.

A few observations on each candidate:

Hillary clearly won the debate. She came across as Hillary, more centrist than in her past. Her body language and attitude toward Obama made it clear she thinks he is naive and inexperienced. Edwards attacked Hillary more than once during the debate and she stood up well to his attacks. She came out on top and turned his attacks back on him. She looked the most comfortable of the candidates and seemed the most composed.

Edwards came across as a somewhat "angry", frustrated man. Most attacks on others candidates came from Edwards.

You got the feeling that Edwards knows his campaign is in trouble and he showed those troubles to all. What is the old saying...."never let them see you sweat"? I saw Edwards sweat. Not pretty.

Obama waffled on the question of does he support illegal immigrants having drivers license and would not answer yes or no to the question. Wolf Blizter, after much back and forth, told Obama that the question "really lends itself to a yes or no answer".

Obama came across as "another" politician, and not the change agent he is painting himself to be. Obama comes across as rehearsed to me....not really credible.

Biden actually came across as the most level headed. On the question of "do you support drivers license for illegal immigrants", after Obama refused to answer yes or no, all other candidates were asked the question and answered yes or no, but with many qualifications following their answer. Biden was ask the question last and simply answered "No"....and looked at the audience. He received a huge round of applause for his direct and honest manner.

Richards had many words to say, but very little substance in any of his words. He tended to repeat the questions in statement form and continually stated the obvious. No solutions from him.

Dodd made little impact.

And then Kucinich was, well, Kucinich. He angrily rebuffed Wolf for using the term "illegal" immigrant.....then proceded to say these "undocumented" immigrants were working toward "legalization". Pretty funny. "Legalization" means you have become "legal", and if you aren't legal, then you are "illegal". Kucinich, as always, provided some laughs.

It's not really a matter of selling the voters short. They've already made their mind up, and it would be selling them short to say so otherwise for the Democratic nomination.

There simply isn't a real comparison between the level of support, the resources the organization and the consistent popular support between Howard Dean and Hillary Clinton. Yes, 52% of Iowans would rather votes for someone else, and I wouldn't be surprised if Obama won a narrow victory in Iowa, and for Hillary to appear to stumble in a few other places, but as this rolls in on, in state after state, it just won't be competitive and in all likelihood, over by mid February. If Hillary was running against just one other candidate, since last spring, maybe, but she isn't.

I don't think any of the voters have made their mind up. I think the MEDIA has made their mind up. I see so much hate for Hillary out there. I heard a story on NPR two or 3 weeks ago that the GOP is quite happy that Hillary looks nomination bound because they know that she is too polarizing to pick up the moderates, and thus the Republicans can continue to run the US into the ground.

That said I'm an Obama fan. Bros before hos.

I agree with you. It is sickening how much control the media has over elections. They decide early on who THEY like, and they cover those candidates the most and leave the others out to dry. The public is obviously swayed by that, and I think it sucks.

Archived