Barack Obama

It's been fascinating seeing everyone's reactions to the various Democratic candidates. Thanks to everyone who's posted on this topic...because I think, honestly, it reflects the way most Democratic Primary voters are thinking right now. What's so interesting about SC is that ANYONE can vote in either primary, since unlike most states, we don't register by party. So Democrats can vote in the Republican primary (although, to be candid, I haven't heard of anyone who's doing that), traditional Republicans who voted for "W" twice can vote in the Democratic primary, and Independent voters can participate in whichever primary they choose. That's part of what makes SC's primaries such a litmus test for November 2008...when it's for REAL.

But this back and forth about Hillary being already coronated, and Obama maybe being a real challenger and a way to change course, and Biden being the smart, level-headed guy who really COULD be a great President...I think a lot of potential Democratic Primary voters are having that same internal argument as well. Do you vote for the person the media tells you can win? Or the person you think could pull this country out of an apparent tailspin? Or the long-shot, who just might be the one we all really need?

I don't have the answer, but it's great for SC to be a part of it all. Whether you're a Republican or a Democrat or simply an American, being in a state that will play an important role in the selection of the next President is, you have to admit, pretty cool. Now...if only all those 18-34 year olds would actually vote!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Democrats can vote in the Republican primary (although, to be candid, I haven't heard of anyone who's doing that),

I don't have the answer, but it's great for SC to be a part of it all. Whether you're a Republican or a Democrat or simply an American, being in a state that will play an important role in the selection of the next President is, you have to admit, pretty cool. Now...if only all those 18-34 year olds would actually vote!

• 2 weeks later...

^I am not so sure. I think the fact that Graham could lose is seat to Buddy Witherspoon and then a challenger from the democratic party is going to make for a lot of fireworks in SC next year.

I know of several traditional Democrats, who find candidates like Guiliani, Thompson, Huckabee and Romney attractive and intend to vote for them

I had forgotten about this thread.

Anyway, is anyone going to Cola to see Oprah and Obama?

I wholeheartedly agree that Hillary will not be coronated. If she does win the nomination, it will be aftet at least one or two major setbacks.

I have followed national and state politics very closely since 1980, and if I had to bet money, I would bet on Obama to win Iowa and SC. HRC COULD actually come in third in Iowa. Huckabee is doing great in Iowa, and I would put my wager on him to win the GOP caucas. His biggest concern is that he may have peaked too soon.

Personally, as a die-hard (very die-hard) independent, I will either vote for Obama in the Dem. primary or Huckabee in the GOP primary. If HRC should win in Iowa and NH, I would not waste my vote on Obama at that point. McCain is the only other GOP candidate that I would consider voting for, but at this point, I like Huckabee better.

Ron Paul is awesome! He is definitely getting my vote. You should go with your conscience and vote for him too, gsupstate. :thumbsup:

And hey, if Huckabee can come out of nowhere to be leading in Iowa and South Carolina, why can't Ron Paul? Paul's message appeals to a wider spectrum of voters, I think - if only the mainstream media would give him more coverage!

• 5 months later...
It's interesting to see who these predictions of inevitability turned out. Thankfully it wasn't a coronation, not even close since this is the only time I can remember primary contests being relevant through all 50 states. Interestingly enough, I believe that SC was first to correctly pick the eventual contestants. Obama & McCain.

At this point, any of the original candidates for either party would have been much better than Bush. The two that have gotten the nomination have done so because they've struck a certain chord that resonates among voters in light of the bullcrap we've had to deal with for the past 7 years. In particular, I've been quite impressed with the way Obama ran his campaign. He was smart about it, he made the rules work for him (however convoluted they may be), and had a long-term strategy. To me, that speaks volumes about his administrative skills, a very important quality for someone vying for the highest office in the land.

It's interesting to see who these predictions of inevitability turned out. Thankfully it wasn't a coronation, not even close since this is the only time I can remember primary contests being relevant through all 50 states. Interestingly enough, I believe that SC was first to correctly pick the eventual contestants. Obama & McCain.

Archived