Ghost Ballet

MTSUBlueraider86

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get this structure - what's the point? What does it have to do with nashville? What action would the observer (supposedly) take after looking at this piece of crap?

A bronze statue of Timothy Demonbreun or James Robertson would be a million times better. These guys were some of nashville's first residents and they have amazing stories.

Contrary to what this structure might suggest, nashville was not first settled by a race of rollercoaster-people.

For those of us remember the heavily industrialized East Bank and have eyes for the abstract think this is pretty cool. I can see the point through the artist's eyes, but I guess I'm lucky that way.

10-SC, you might try looking on the West bank of the Cumberland. We already have bronze sculptures of your guys.

When the artist described the two forms as colliding galaxies, it helped form a visual context me. I like it a lot. This evening a lot of people were just sitting there looking at it from Riverfront park and the pedestrian bridge. Strangers were engaged in conversation about it; one guy cupped his hands to represent the sculpture as he described his interpretation to bystanders. Others were standing directly beneath it just staring upward for what seemed like several minutes at a time; walking around changing their perpective. A noticable number of people were actually hanging out on the east bank, many in the vicinity of the sculpture. I really like how it appears to sit at the terminus of Broadway. Perhaps it has a novelty factor but foremost I noticed that people were engaged by it, seemingly in a positive, pensive way.

When the artist described the two forms as colliding galaxies, it helped form a visual context me. I like it a lot. This evening a lot of people were just sitting there looking at it from Riverfront park and the pedestrian bridge. Strangers were engaged in conversation about it; one guy cupped his hands to represent the sculpture as he described his interpretation to bystanders. Others were standing directly beneath it just staring upward for what seemed like several minutes at a time; walking around changing their perpective. A noticable number of people were actually hanging out on the east bank, many in the vicinity of the sculpture. I really like how it appears to sit at the terminus of Broadway. Perhaps it has a novelty factor but foremost I noticed that people were engaged by it, seemingly in a positive, pensive way.

I was another one of those checking the piece out from up close yesterday evening. While I walked around under the structure I was again struck by how big it is. Some things I didn't really get such as the space ship looking thing in the center of the two main steel pieces. Perhaps that will all come into play when the lighting is completed within a month. There were people on the Shelby Bridge looking down, people on the bank walking and looking. I liked the fact that I could walk directly beneath it, touch it, bang on it. I hope the city will provide rails at the base to prevent anyone looking and backing up for a better view from falling into the river. I hope they do that soon.

I found new friends as I explained to people what I thought it represented. A photographer from Portland, OR was taking pictures. He lives here now and takes photos from stock photography sites. Two ladies from Memphis listened as I briefly explained how the base once served to unload materials for building barges. I made friends with two Cajun-accented men from New Orleans who were fascinated by everything around them. They commented on how clean things were around here (so I guess PSC isn't so visible from the greenway, lol), how safe it seemed downtown, and "I've got to get tickets for my mom to come up here." I've volunteered to show them around on Saturday. The last time I did that to folks from New Orleans, Nashville sold an East Nashville house and we have two very active musicians teaching music and dance in Nashville, in addition to Cajun cooking classes.

So, for some us, it appears the sculpture has already done part of its job. It has engaged us, as locals, with our visitors. It's gotten us out of the cars and onto the greenway. It's aroused curiosity from Broadway. Thinking it looks like a roller coaster isn't a bad thing, it does, until you get up close. I see this piece as part of a continuing puzzle for the East Bank. Even if it does appear a lone ranger on the bank, it's merely one of the first in the entire context of what will become a new East Bank. I hope it's only the first of many such new and strange things for us discover.

I don't get this structure - what's the point? What does it have to do with nashville? What action would the observer (supposedly) take after looking at this piece of crap?

A bronze statue of Timothy Demonbreun or James Robertson would be a million times better. These guys were some of nashville's first residents and they have amazing stories.

Contrary to what this structure might suggest, nashville was not first settled by a race of rollercoaster-people.

10 SC, I'd appreciate it if you'd edit your assumptions out of your last post. I would start with not telling me from which spoon I eat and how I arrive at my analysis of this or any other observation I may choose to share.

My knowledge of, exposure to, involvement with, and appreciation of the East Bank of the Cumberland River and its history are not for you to question. Your asking "what is PSC" tells me you obviously weren't around to watch the barges launch, pick up sand from Ingram Barge, see boats tied up to a furniture warehouse during a flood, work at Jamison mattress, dig up plants prior to the leveling of some buildings that now grow in your yard, show any awareness of the fact that thousands of the original 2nd Avenue cobblestones are now buried under asphalt in the vicinity of the stadium satellite hookups, and yes, I'm not too shy to say, I didn't see you at Boots on any of those dark nights. And actually knowing the family Howe of the Howe Water Co. who's business and land were huge parts of the East Bank. I'm surprised to know my appreciation of local history is viewed as shallow and meaningless. I guess your assumptions are just that. No real harm done.

The bank as it was is gone, forever. Get over it. At least I remember how much I appreciated being able to drive my car onto the 5th floor deck at the Nashville Bridge Co. lot and watch the past you'll never know unfold before me on a crisp Sunday morning. Those moments are priceless in my memory ... and I have pictures.

What does this have to do with Nashville? Obviously more than you're willing to comprehend at this point. The Ghost is a part of new chapters in Nashville's history being written in front of us. For good, or bad, it's there, it's real, and I for one, love it.

^Great post.

I confess to not knowing and not being around for much or any of this glorious and just regular old humdrum history of the Nashville riverfront, but I'm excited that Nashville has this new sculpture that might become a destination point, a meaningful addition to the city visually and culturally, and maybe a catalyst for bigger and better things to come for downtown and Nashville as a whole.

I haven't seen it in person yet, and maybe it's not worthy of all the hopeful possibilities listed above, but I certainly won't lambast it or the artist for not fitting into some narrowly constructed definition for what art, public or otherwise is supposed to be; or where the artist is or isn't from.

dave, you make some great points, sorry if I offended, it looks like I don't quite understand where you're comming from. You obviously know your history way better than me!!

Your asking "what is PSC" tells me you obviously weren't around to watch the barges launch,

dave, you make some great points, sorry if I offended, it looks like I don't quite understand where you're comming from. You obviously know your history way better than me!!

It's true, I wasn't around to watch the barges, and I'm pissed about that! But who's fault is it? I thought I remember taht the barge company was forced out of town by the city - you tell me, is this true? If so, then I blame the city and any of its supporters for this travesty.

Now that I know what PSC is I know what you're talking about. I have seen the metal recycler - why are you against it? I personally find it a kajillion times more interesting/thought provoking/conversation starting than the dance structure. The form of PSC is a reflection of the laws of physics and the needs of man. PSC is a sculpture of the human existence - every pipe and conveyor belt an exhibit demonstrating how man manipulates elements to survive. Every device and machine designed with deliberate precision so as to utilize the laws of nature for man's benefit. Has anyone here ever read Atlas Shrugged??

So i guess all i'm saying is that anything man-made could be considered art, why do you seem to be against PSC and for the dance structure?

has anyone thought of this......when they have the riverfront concerts on the barges, esp. at night, it will create a wonderful backdrop. especially to those out-of-towners who have never heard of ghost ballet. that, shelby street bridge lit up and LP with quality music on the river would more than enough satisfy my entertainment needs. if only we could create that quasi-amphitheater into a full-fledged concert venue on the river somehow, instead of building a new one on valuable land. this will never happen though. but the view is still great.

I have a love/hate relationship with PSC. I'm not crazy about the fact that it's precisely where it is, no, I'm not. I'm glad it's further down the river just enough to not mess with the views from Broadway. I didn't say I was against it as such.

As a matter of fact, every day, on the way to work, I drive from Inglewood through Shelby Park, down Davidson and right through PSC and am quite fascinated by what I see. In fact, the entire area is a source of amazement for me. The locomotive that hisses at me every time I drive by, the piles raw metal, the cars some of which I can identify as icons of my teenage years. I love that, I really do. Some of my most compelling photography has been of such things, PSC included. I appreciate the tax base, but I think the not too distant future is the time to reclaim the area for a much better accepted tax base. An urban, human-scaled neighborhood is more in tune with Nashville in the 21st century than a recycling yard. Another location can and will be found someday, probably not too far away.

If you'd like, 10-SC, I'd be more than happy to share a weekend ride with you and show you things in Nashville that might have escaped you or you haven't discovered yet. There's so much of what you hold dear still around. One just has to know where to look. I'm sure I could make your grit-lovin' heart go a'flutter. Just let me know. I'd be honored.

Current visions are difficult without first witnessing the past. I'll bring my pictures...they pre-date digital.

Isn't it interesting that whenever one tries to pigeonhole Nashville as a one horse boot scootin barefoot town something like the Ghost Ballet shows up and reminds the world that this is the only place that keeps true to its roots but always has a slight, but noticeable suprise like this? I think this city is predictable, but at the same time it's not at all. I think others born and raised here may tend to agree. What say you Dave?

Finally got downtown to check out the sculpture for myself. I think it's a little clumsy in its execution, the heavy cables add another linear element but they might clutter a little too much. I'm sure the effect will be really spectacular at night. It really is nice as a "prism" to frame various vistas of the city as well as being interesting to look at in its own right. And the whole rollercoaster comparison isn't really a negative in my opinion, it does look like pieces of a track, and what's so bad about that? I think Alice Aycock mentioned KennyWood in Pittsburgh as a reference in her work and roller coasters are pretty graceful and sculptural to begin with. Here's some pictures. Oh, and I ran into another Nashville enthusiast on the Shelby Street Bridge, smeagolsfree was out checking out the city as well and he said the sculpture isn't as big as he thought it was going to be. Peep the tiny people in the first two shots. So much going on, exciting times in Nashville!

ghostballetwhatever002.jpg

ghostballetwhatever003.jpg

ghostballetwhatever005.jpg

ghostballetwhatever010.jpg

ghostballetwhatever016.jpg

ghostballetwhatever029.jpg

^Actually you said more, "ugly" "hideous" and "bleh" not that any of those are really helpful or insightful criticism. I can't really see how the twisting, arcing pieces could be described as ugly or hideous. Maybe bleh. Where would you suggest that the guys travel, what should they see in order to come to the same sophisticated conclusion as yourself?

The criticism is that I fail to see art. It is not inspiring, and seems to me an odd choice for Nashville. I think its great that we have the percent for the arts, but I truly believe a better choice could have been made. I suggest looking at public art anywhere in Europe. I am not saying my taste is 'sophisticated' at all, disagreeing is all. But who cares, its there now to stay so I guess I need to learn to love it...

The criticism is that I fail to see art. It is not inspiring, and seems to me an odd choice for Nashville. I think its great that we have the percent for the arts, but I truly believe a better choice could have been made. I suggest looking at public art anywhere in Europe. I am not saying my taste is 'sophisticated' at all, disagreeing is all. But who cares, its there now to stay so I guess I need to learn to love it...

Archived