Ghost Ballet

MTSUBlueraider86

The criticism is that I fail to see art. It is not inspiring, and seems to me an odd choice for Nashville. I think its great that we have the percent for the arts, but I truly believe a better choice could have been made. I suggest looking at public art anywhere in Europe. I am not saying my taste is 'sophisticated' at all, disagreeing is all. But who cares, its there now to stay so I guess I need to learn to love it...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Newguy, I'm not going to respond to all your points and questions but let me just quote something you said because I think it is insightful and may just answer some of the questions you have:

"I am all for art, in many many different forms, but just because something exists, does not mean that it should and/or that it really represents somethigng."

So cool, there's a big new sculpture which may or not carry a lot of literal, representational significance with it on the east bank of the river in front of LP Field. But don't worry, you don't have to "get it." How many people get the figurative sculptures adorning and surrounding the Schermorhorn? You have to know something about mythology to understand them right? How many visitors to Nashville (or citizens for that matter) know who any or many of the statues represent at the capital or at the park off the Music Square roundabout (not "Musica") etc. are without reading the accompanying plaques? Non figurative art is supposed to be democratic and populist because it frees art from the literary baggage and symbolism of previous art. How many people know all the biblical stories or mythological references in Renaissance and post-Renaissance figurative western art? Yet without knowing the specifics, people still appreciate these works of art and consider them worthwhile if not beautiful objects and testimony to mankind's inventiveness and creative spirit and such. There doesn't have to be symbolism and "hidden meaning" for art to be valuable; there is still feeling, emotion, spirituality, logic, reason along with pure formalism and visual beauty. Consider this as well--artists, faced with the advent of photography and film, faced a crisis of relevance--what's the point of figurative, representational, literal art in the age of mechanical reproduction? Long story short, the rapid advancement toward abstraction in the second half of the 19th and on into the 20th century, etc. etc.

An artist can choose materials, colors and forms which she feels are appropriate and meaningful in a certain context, which Alice Aycock has done in this instance. These choices may give the artwork added layers of meaning or signification for one to consider or to ignore, there's no right or wrong answer. I haven't chided or chastised anyone for a negative assessment of this artwork, in fact, I came out and said I thought it was a little clumsy myself but I gave a reason for that assessment. My gripe is when people use unconsidered and limiting words without justification, for or against, and then even go on to back up their opinion with snobbish suggestions that others must to travel to Europe and see better examples of public artwork. As if Europe has a monopoly on such things and an individual's financial wherewithal to travel there is required for an appropriate knowledge to have opinions on the matter.

You don't have to "get it", there doesn't have to be anything there at all beyond something to be seen and experienced, loved, loathed, or neither. Maybe like a forest, a mountain range, the sea or even the PCS Metals recycling yard or LP Field. What mysteries do you think could possibly be contained within this or any other artwork, or anything else for that matter? In the short time I spent around it, I saw adults come check it out, spend time underneath it, looking up and around. Families with little kids that touched it and played in the grounds. Since it's unveiling, a few people have even considered the aesthetic and artistic merits of the PCS Metal site in an attempt to justify its existence beyond mere economics. Can it really be that bad to have done so much in a few short days?

Nashvillain my suggestion was not even remotely snobbish. You ought to try being less defensive, as should many on this board and maybe there could be more than a post a day. This 'art' doesn't make me feel or think, and everyone who has seen that I know has chuckled at it. In a way it bothers me, we spent hundreds of thousands on this, while our school systems are deplorable in Metro. As for what I would have liked....I would love to have seen a beautiful fountain or sculpture with a small plaza, an area where people could sit and eat lunch during work. Something simple, classy, and useful for everyone to enjoy. Thats all, but to each his own.

It should be noted that the Titan(ic)s have closed ALL parking lots over on their side of the river. They are not allowing any public parking over there so a leisurely walk across the river is near impossible at this point unless you park on the downtown side.

Anyone know why they closed the lots??

Also, many of Alice's works are featured in Europe. For what it's worth of course.

From today:

original.jpg

^ It's a good question as to why they closed their parking. Perhaps something was going on, or feared to be, that might have raised liability concerns.

A side question: Didn't there used to be a park and ride service in their parking lot at time?

I really don't know what to make of this piece of art. I'm glad that art is being added to the waterfront because art lifts the soul. But I'm not sure I will ever like this project. I'm hoping when I see it in person, it will look better to me. I'm hoping that Nashville decides to add much more art to both sides of their waterfront as Chattanooga has. Most of the art does not need to be anywhere near the size of Ghost Ballet. Lots of smaller pieces added to this and a few other large pieces on both sides of the river is what the city needs, in my opinion.

Archived