Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

WAM Site, 720 North Monroe

80 posts in this topic

In the paper today is news that Grand Rapids Spring & Stamping is going to expand into the old Lear plant on Alpine, instead of completely moving out of the Monroe North area. You all may remember Blue Bridge Ventures proposal to build a large mixed use project on the Western American Mailers site on Monroe and GR Spring & Stamping's facility on Bond St. Now that GRS&S is staying, Jack Buchanan has shifted gears, and has stated he's willing to sell the WAM site.

A great spot along Monroe, and could possibly qualify for Renaissance Zone extension. Views of the river and across the street from one of downtown's largest parks and trail system makes for a great mixed-use potential. And height would probably not be an issue since you won't be blocking any neighbors' views of the river and the downtown skyline. (I am not a paid agent of the developer BTW) I think it would be cool to see something with some ground-floor retail.

post-2672-1165677889_thumb.jpg

GR Spring & Stamping expands to Lear plant

(great news that they're expanding)

Developer's plans change for Bond block

Original project thread

post-2672-1165677889_thumb.jpg

It seems like this would be a great place for a mixed use building. It also would help tie in Boardwalk and 820 Monroe with the rest of the neighborhood.

I'd like to see something a little more representative of the neighborhood. Buchanan's plans were ambitious, but I didn't like the design. It reminded me too much of Grand Traverse Resort for some reason.

The WAM building itself could make a cool rehab but I'm sure the price would be cost prohibitive without going up.

Joe

I was kind of hoping GR S&S would move to the Lear site, since I have a feeling Monroe North is going to change to the point that GR S&S will not be a good neighbor in the area in a few years with all the offices, and condos being built in the area.

Leaving Founders last night I saw a notice on the WAM Building stating that it was in the forclosure process and there would be an auction to sell the property on May 2. Anyone heard about this or have more details?

If it is up for sale on the courthouse steps, lets take up a collection and buy it! I can throw in $5. A UP Center for the Americas.

If it is up for sale on the courthouse steps, lets take up a collection and buy it! I can throw in $5. A UP Center for the Americas.

It appears to be three separate parcels, at just under an acre.

456619818_a2734b3619_o.jpg

It's a nice spot for an unobstructed view of the river and South toward the West bank of downtown (especially if you built up above Brass Works a bit).

I'm pretty sure it said May 2 at the Kent County Courthouse Lobby and that the current amount owed is 1.4mil +/-

Depending on the amount of interest, it could probably be had for less. What does that say for the future of Blue Bridge Ventures? I used to work in the Brass Works, and walked by that building every day. It's really in bad condition, and an eyesore for North Monroe. Was Blue Bridge going to demo the building or just rehab it?

Does Blue Bridge own Brass Works, or someone else? I did notice last summer that the exterior was in need of some repairs.

Someone please buy this and turn it into an integrated mixed-use streetcar terminal. I think the plans have this intersection as the northern terminus of the line. I would like to walk out of my condo, buy my cup of coffee and morning paper and step on a streetcar to take me downtown (preferably without getting wet or snowed on), all in under 5 minutes.

Someone please buy this and turn it into an integrated mixed-use streetcar terminal. I think the plans have this intersection as the northern terminus of the line. I would like to walk out of my condo, buy my cup of coffee and morning paper and step on a streetcar to take me downtown (preferably without getting wet or snowed on), all in under 5 minutes.

:wacko:

Cynical advice: time to move to a real city.

Good luck ever getting streetcars/light rail in Grand Rapids.

What would the DDA/Parking Nazis do with their precious surface lots and concrete auto tombs if they started advocating mass transit?

:wacko:

Cynical advice: time to move to a real city.

Good luck ever getting streetcars/light rail in Grand Rapids.

What would the DDA/Parking Nazis do with their precious surface lots and concrete auto tombs if they started advocating mass transit?

local...

What is a city? If it meant being Chicago or New York then I would be there; but, thats not what I want in a city... A city is what an area makes it. GR has been so for x number of years, whether it was densly populated with streetcars and retail (i.e. early 20th c. ) or the desolate landscape of the urban renewal (60-70's); GR has been and always be a city. We now create the city as we see it, and this is our city

Here ya go Rhino, this was Blue Bridge's plan. It would be interesting to hear who they had in mind for this development. I'm still convinced they were trying to land the MSU med school and make some sort of "biotech campus":

457727050_f37667f571_o.jpg

Here ya go Rhino, this was Blue Bridge's plan. It would be interesting to hear who they had in mind for this development. I'm still convinced they were trying to land the MSU med school and make some sort of "biotech campus"

That land would make the perfect place for a downtown grocer...

Actually, that little building is not such a bad little building. It just needs a little love. It'd be interesting if it somehow could be incorporated into a new development:

458019131_14b132759b_b.jpg

458019119_9251d9f5bc_b.jpg

And speaking of Sixth Street Park:

458032955_468e7d1a28_b.jpg

458032951_4ef2b1f0cc_b.jpg

I drove by today and didn't see unusual, but then again I didn't have a vantage point to see two holes in the roof. Interesting!

Welcome BestOfParade.

Joe

Anyone notice 2 huge holes in the roof of this building? I wonder if this is the begining stage of tear down. I heard office space is in the works. Did building sell?

The last thing I heard was that it went into foreclosure. Are there any new signs out there?