WAM Site, 720 North Monroe

GRDadof3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Workstage is in the closing process of building. The hole in the roof was from old age, not man made!

Tear down might happen around Oct/Nov. Office space is certain. Residential is being talked about with a real developer, not a wannabe developer who turns old buildings into cheap condos. Retail on first floor is also in talks.

Workstage is in the closing process of building. The hole in the roof was from old age, not man made!

Tear down might happen around Oct/Nov. Office space is certain. Residential is being talked about with a real developer, not a wannabe developer who turns old buildings into cheap condos. Retail on first floor is also in talks.

The buildings pictured don't look too bad. But they are not too exiting ether. We'll just have to see what happens with 720 Monroe.

I don't know BestOfParade, I went through their entire portfolio and didn't find ONE urban project that they have done. It all looks pretty suburban to me. And doesn't workstage do buildings in "kits", like prefab? I'm not saying their work is bad, but I'll have to wait and see the concept here before I get excited about the prospects. Somehow I envision a large concrete and glass box with a parking lot out front. :sick: Maybe some architects out there can shed some light on how they work. They're a division of Steelcase, aren't they?

566091985_a446ecd7b7_o.jpg

Also, Workstage usually builds buildings for other people. I wonder who the office tenant(s) will be?

Did you know about the project when you started this thread, or did you glean information later on BOP?

I don't know if I should float this out there or not, but this is the building I designed way back in '04 for the WAM site. We use it in our marketing packets sometimes, so people around town who we've submitted proposals to have seen it. At this point this design is dead, but it was a good exercise for me nonetheless. It was for an "Undisclosed Client"...

195471886_a97e95b5e1_o.jpg

- ground floor retail

- second floor parking

- tiered condos above

*looks like I didn't do a very good job of replacing that tree on the right, oh well.

view from the balcony (the client rented a lift so I could get this shot)...

195471838_4b62c0b38d_o.jpg

That would have been a nice addition to N. Monroe area. The ground floor would have promoted allot of street life. The view from the balcony would have been awesome.

I don't know if I should float this out there or not, but this is the building I designed way back in '04 for the WAM site. We use it in our marketing packets sometimes, so people around town who we've submitted proposals to have seen it. At this point this design is dead, but it was a good exercise for me nonetheless. It was for an "Undisclosed Client"...

195471886_a97e95b5e1_o.jpg

- ground floor retail

- second floor parking

- tiered condos above

*looks like I didn't do a very good job of replacing that tree on the right, oh well.

view from the balcony (the client rented a lift so I could get this shot)...

195471838_4b62c0b38d_o.jpg

That rendering looks awesome Golscorer! If this version would have gone through, it would've really helped that stretch of Monroe. Hopefully we can get something that's as pedestrian friendly for that site in the near future.

I don't know BestOfParade, I went through their entire portfolio and didn't find ONE urban project that they have done. It all looks pretty suburban to me. And doesn't workstage do buildings in "kits", like prefab? I'm not saying their work is bad, but I'll have to wait and see the concept here before I get excited about the prospects. Somehow I envision a large concrete and glass box with a parking lot out front. :sick: Maybe some architects out there can shed some light on how they work. They're a division of Steelcase, aren't they?

566091985_a446ecd7b7_o.jpg

Also, Workstage usually builds buildings for other people. I wonder who the office tenant(s) will be?

Did you know about the project when you started this thread, or did you glean information later on BOP?

Me neither.

BOP, you seem to have an axe to grind with a particular developer. What gives? Is is just the addition on Union Square you object to? I think it's great what Rooks has done with most of his projects.

BTW: Who is this "real" developer you're talking about? Any clues for us?

Difference of opinion. I think Soldier Field is beautiful and it would have been an atrocity to try and mimic the old building. Personally, I think the new part of soldier field accentuates the old, and I don't think that would have been the case otherwise. I bet in 20 years, it will be universally lauded as an architectural gem.

you got that right. soldier field is an atrocity and last I heard the city was considering stripping them of thier historic designation. I dont' know if they ever did though it was probably 6 months to a year ago I read that.

Me neither.

BOP, you seem to have an axe to grind with a particular developer. What gives? Is is just the addition on Union Square you object to? I think it's great what Rooks has done with most of his projects.

BTW: Who is this "real" developer you're talking about? Any clues for us?

It's called "moderators responsibility" to keep the riff-raff off the board so we don't have mutiny. I'd be more than happy to kick you off myself if you'd like. Just PM me if you'd like me to make it happen :thumbsup:

Joe <- bad cop

GRDadof3, I'll tell u if you send me a private message to identify yourself! Can't have the information get into the wrong hands before it's official. I think you might remember me from certain opinions and posts from way back. I've always been intrigued by your wealth of knowledge and power to ban users.

Archived