WAM Site, 720 North Monroe

GRDadof3

Wow - that was pretty harsh. Please inform me as to what in BOP's post would result in his being excluded from this site - looked pretty harmless to me. If he had added one of those ridiculous emoticoms, would it have made a difference? I just want to make sure that I don't make any similar mistakes myself. Thanks for any info you can share. Oh, and kudos to Goalscorer - that building was beautiful and would fit that address perfectly.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GRDadof3, I'll tell u if you send me a private message to identify yourself! Can't have the information get into the wrong hands before it's official. I think you might remember me from certain opinions and posts from way back. I've always been intrigued by your wealth of knowledge and power to ban users.

I don't know if I should float this out there or not, but this is the building I designed way back in '04 for the WAM site. We use it in our marketing packets sometimes, so people around town who we've submitted proposals to have seen it. At this point this design is dead, but it was a good exercise for me nonetheless. It was for an "Undisclosed Client"...

195471886_a97e95b5e1_o.jpg

- ground floor retail

- second floor parking

- tiered condos above

*looks like I didn't do a very good job of replacing that tree on the right, oh well.

view from the balcony (the client rented a lift so I could get this shot)...

GRDadof3, I'll tell u if you send me a private message to identify yourself! Can't have the information get into the wrong hands before it's official. I think you might remember me from certain opinions and posts from way back. I've always been intrigued by your wealth of knowledge and power to ban users.

Wow - that was pretty harsh. Please inform me as to what in BOP's post would result in his being excluded from this site - looked pretty harmless to me. If he had added one of those ridiculous emoticoms, would it have made a difference? I just want to make sure that I don't make any similar mistakes myself. Thanks for any info you can share. Oh, and kudos to Goalscorer - that building was beautiful and would fit that address perfectly.

Back to the topic at hand, he was right. Drove by today and as I got close I thought, "Hey, I should look for those "holes"". Wow! It's as if the roof is caving in! There was also a good deal of activity on the site.

I guess we'll find out sometime in the future, since some people seem to know what's going on. Hopefully there will be an announcement sometime soon.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm heading back to grad school in the fall so it'll be a little while longer before you see any of my work actually come to fruition.

My only complaint is the blandness of the first two floors. It needs a little more texture, or indentations for outdoor patios, or something (or maybe make it more modern like the upper portion). Otherwise a project like that would do wonders for that area if it can be pulled together. Do you think you would design it the same way today golscorer?

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm heading back to grad school in the fall so it'll be a little while longer before you see any of my work actually come to fruition.

We're on the same page GRDad. I probably spent the least amount of time on designing the base, and it definitely comes across as 21st-century-suburban-strip-mall-wanna-be-historical-town-center. The faux-historical is not my taste at all, so it was very hard to do. Looking back, the thing that horrifys me the most is the cruciform window mullions on the second floor. I absolutely hate cruciform window mullions, they're sooooo unimaginative.

I actually think a lot of the WAM building has potential. Should be interesting to see what happens. Are we sure that roof fell in? That building seemed pretty solid when I used to work down there (and it was occupied). It doesn't seem likely that it all came crashing down on its own.

Joe

I actually think a lot of the WAM building has potential. Should be interesting to see what happens. Are we sure that roof fell in? That building seemed pretty solid when I used to work down there (and it was occupied). It doesn't seem likely that it all came crashing down on its own.

Joe

His expertise seems to lie in snarky comments. :) If there is one thing I've learned over the past month of travel (London, Chicago, Tokyo) is that it's variety of architecture that makes a city cool. I find Union Square to be interesting. I don't know if that is a "good" interesting or bad, but it ads variety. And that makes cities interesting (in a good way).

Another thing I've also learned in the past month is that all of these world-class cities have some pretty horrid, poorly thought out buildings. Even while walking the streets of Tokyo I thought to myself "Man is Grand Rapids cool". It's an interesting new perspective. In fact, I could now care less about how tall a building it is. It is all about how it relates to the street and the people (or potential people) that will use it. That is what will make our city Grand.

Joe

What was your contribution to this healthy, popular, economy-stimulating movement ?

Yep, thought so......

When risk takers spend money to revitalize a local economy and create jobs and vitality to the benefit of all taxpayers and urban dwellers it's good for everyone. Except you apparently.

What was your contribution to this healthy, popular, economy-stimulating movement ?

Yep, thought so......

He voted with his checkbook and took the risk. I am glad it's working.

Rooks has invested / borrowed 10's of millions of dollars even in just the past 12 months, investing in the revitaization of our urban core and providing cool places for people to live and work and generating economic vitality through increased tax base all while creating hundreds of jobs for people just like you. Yes, he is doing it with a profit motive and he is successful.

When risk takers spend money to revitalize a local economy and create jobs and vitality to the benefit of all taxpayers and urban dwellers it's good for everyone. Except you apparently.

Yep, thought so......

Archived