Schools- No Physical Contact Whatsoever?

tombarnes

Virginia Student In Hot Water For A Hug

A student at Kilmer Middle School in Vienna, Virginia (suburban D.C.) has been disciplined for hugging his girlfriend. Oh, and he got up ftom his assigned table in the cafeteria. This isn't the military! The "no touch" rule is the most ridiculous thing I've heard of recently. This will serve to make children even more neurotic. Brave New World anyone?

The Washington Post

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These types of rules just create more problems. Yes, they are overstepping the boundaries.

This is all so incredibly ridiculous. Handshakes are banned?

Rules of types of touching should be what they have always been, unwritten and based on a teacher or administrator's judgement of what is inappropriate. If a teacher sees two students groping at each other, they would be told to cease those actions immediately, on a second offense, they should then be sent to the principal's office.

I just don't get it. Schools need to focus on teaching students, not worrying about silly rules.

How can anyone expect these kids learn what right and not right when it comes to physical contact if they are not allowed to even to do a simple high five? What about the fact that physical contact is a part social bonding--things like a pat on the shoulder, a hand shake, even horse play? Personally I think the entire school board and the middle schools administration are being pompous biased idiots and should all be fired for cooking up this crack pot "no touching" rule.

How ridiculous.

Conservative-mania.

Who cares what the kids do? This country is so uptight, it's downright unbelievable.

Our schools here have much more common sense. If kids are making out in the hall, a teacher will generally break them up and tell them to do it on their own time. Hugging and holding hands and other things were encouraged at our schools during "kindness week" in which students were encouraged just to give random hugs to their friends to show that they cared.

Get uptight administrators and parents out of our schools. They do nothing but harm our children.

I think The Handmaid's Tale may be the apt dystopian parallel.....

Regardless, it's much easier to punish hugging teens than to teach them simple algebra.

Edit. This stuff happens because parents shirk the responsibility of being parents, and instead empower the schools to become the morality police....as long as the punishment isn't a paddling.

Oh, grow a pair, honestly.

"Rules and regulations"

Why is it that conservatives whine and moan the most about political correctness and using "common sense" and letting parents do the punishing and blah blah blah.. but when it comes to rules, they fall in line under their f

I guess hugs are too intimate for some. After all didn't northern Va have a problem with oral sex being the new handshake? But I guess some may see that hugs may lead to pregancies haha.

How about you grow up!

Who said these people were conservatives? I guess you just have a problem with kids being given rules to follow, I didn't know that was liberal or conservative.

The problem comes with parents who don't teach their kids how to act in public. That's why schools are now going to these lengths to try and instill discipline. Then you have parents like these who go to the media to get attention. Is this really that big of a deal? School is not for social experimentation, kids today are more in touch with each other than ever before with the internet, cell phones, and have their own cars by the time they are 16.

Now does this rule go too far, sure, but I agree with its intent. The parents should work with the school get it changed, not going whining to the media so they can be portrayed as victims, give me a break!

Being groped? It was his girlfriend!

Students dont go to school to hug people, of course. Kids go to school to learn cirriculum and also valuable social skills. I dont see how anyone could think that having kids think that handshakes and hugs are bad is a good thing.

How about you grow up!

Who said these people were conservatives? I guess you just have a problem with kids being given rules to follow, I didn't know that was liberal or conservative.

The problem comes with parents who don't teach their kids how to act in public. That's why schools are now going to these lengths to try and instill discipline. Then you have parents like these who go to the media to get attention. Is this really that big of a deal? School is not for social experimentation, kids today are more in touch with each other than ever before with the internet, cell phones, and have their own cars by the time they are 16.

Now does this rule go too far, sure, but I agree with its intent. The parents should work with the school get it changed, not going whining to the media so they can be portrayed as victims, give me a break!

There was an article the other day in the New Haven Register, and probably elsewhere, about the laxing of zero tolerance policies just due to the absurdity and totalitarianism behind them.

This here, it's not like the guy was giving the girl any "favors". It was just a simple hug. Getting up from an assigned seat? Oh wow, that's a felony? What has this country come to?

This is just sad. I can't even begin to count the # of times, a hug from a friend in school or anywhere else would brighten my day, whether it be from a girlfriend, a friend, a teacher or guidance counselor, or friend's parent. I had a hard time dealing w/ a friend of mine that was killed in an auto accident right in front of me, when I was in High School. For several days, I received many hugs, even in school when friends or teachers saw how I was struggling to cope w/ it. I guess if my school had that stupid rule, I would have probably had to go to counseling or something to help get over it.

School is for much more than just learing curriculum. School is to prepare you for the real world, and I don't see how such a strict policy helps prepare you for the world socially.

Liberalism and Conservatism run wild will be both lead to tighter restrictions on the population. Honestly, we all knew what PDA (Public Displays of Affection) was when I was in high school (ten years ago!!!) and it was brought by same people who changed "Christmas Holiday" to "Winter Break." I honestly don't see how this is conservative or liberal. Both sides have their share of busy-bodies with nothing better to do.

Liberalism and Conservatism run wild will be both lead to tighter restrictions on the population. Honestly, we all knew what PDA (Public Displays of Affection) was when I was in high school (ten years ago!!!) and it was brought by same people who changed "Christmas Holiday" to "Winter Break." I honestly don't see how this is conservative or liberal. Both sides have their share of busy-bodies with nothing better to do.

Although I agree with most of your post, Pillsbury, but the part about this being neither liberal or conservative I have to disagree. This is most definitely a conservative agenda, just like the banning of sex education and the preaching of abstinence in public high schools. We are very prudish in this country, but still don't realize the kids that want to do whatever will do it regardless. They'll just be very sneaky about it instead.

Archived