Schools- No Physical Contact Whatsoever?

tombarnes

Most school board members are moderate to even liberal though (as is most of academia, especially in the liberal arts). Stuff like banning sex education and the like usually comes from broad support from a conservative community which pressures those school board members into doing something they don't like. This specific case, however, is some weird rule that no one in the wider community was probably aware of. Not even your most conservative prude would stop a guy and girl from hugging.

And to be honest, I don't know if we're really that prudish. I went to high school in one of the most conservative parts of this nation (I know we live in the same part of the world) and sex education was pretty graphic. We were even given protection and this was in the 7th Grade!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think this would make people not want to touch each other in the real world? I doubt this would have an effect on anyone psychologically and would be shrugged off as one of those stupid school rules. It's not like it'll create a bunch of compulsive huggers! No big deal.

Do you think this would make people not want to touch each other in the real world? I doubt this would have an effect on anyone psychologically and would be shrugged off as one of those stupid school rules. It's not like it'll create a bunch of compulsive huggers! No big deal.

I had comprehensive sex education beginning in 4th grade with learning how the reproductive system works to talk about puberty in 5th and 6th grade, to talk about sex, STDs, safe sex and other things in 7th grade.

Then it was pretty much repetition through 10th grade, when it finally ends. Abstinence was taught as one option but that being sexually active was a personal choice. Condoms were not handed out, but it was made known where they could be obtained for free if you decided you wanted some.

I think Steven Colbert is right when he says "reality has a known liberal bias".. and I believe many religious conservatives don't want to believe this, hence programs like "abstinence only".

You should consider yourself lucky. Where I went to school, we weren't allowed any form of sex education because of the bozos that ran the place (Hint, look at my current locale in parentheses) thought that no sex ed at all was better than teaching sex ed. Low and behold, there was numerous teen pregnancies in this very suburban school district. I learned about the majority of my knowledge of sex from the research I had to do for the high school Psychology class my senior year, and my Psychology courses here in college. It is damn shame.

That reminds me of some of the schools around where I live. I think this past graduation two students weren't given diplomas since their parents cheered for them at graduation. The school board said the students had to do 10 hours or so of community service which is completly retarded. I hope they win their lawsuit.

If the parents can't sit still, be quiet and follow the rules during graduation, it's no surprise the kids are turning out all screwed up. Good for the school system for showing that the rules actually mean something, and aren't just suggestions.

It's bad enough hearing about this repugnant "no physical contact" garbage the Virginian school district is force feeding its poor students. Then comes this. Has this country become so politically correct and so full of itself that its OK for a windbag excuse of a school principal to disallow proud parents to cheer on their academically stellar kids as they graduate? For crying out loud, America! Let's grow some hair on our chest and take a dose of reality for once.

If the parents can't sit still, be quiet and follow the rules during graduation, it's no surprise the kids are turning out all screwed up. Good for the school system for showing that the rules actually mean something, and aren't just suggestions.

How about you grow up!

Who said these people were conservatives? I guess you just have a problem with kids being given rules to follow, I didn't know that was liberal or conservative.

The problem comes with parents who don't teach their kids how to act in public. That's why schools are now going to these lengths to try and instill discipline. Then you have parents like these who go to the media to get attention. Is this really that big of a deal? School is not for social experimentation, kids today are more in touch with each other than ever before with the internet, cell phones, and have their own cars by the time they are 16.

Now does this rule go too far, sure, but I agree with its intent. The parents should work with the school get it changed, not going whining to the media so they can be portrayed as victims, give me a break!

Social conservatives would like to see no hand holding, hugging, kissing, or any other physical touch in public between anyone in general, and especially none between males themselves (god forbid boys not being taught to grow up to be good old-fashioned, tough, red-blooded American men!). :angry:

Americans who have "issues" with kids (or adults) showing affection in public, are, in fact, usually social conservatives. There is no question about that. As we all know, social conservatives get offended at the drop of a hat (remember a recent Super Bowl halftime show, anyone?). Social conservatives would like to see no hand holding, hugging, kissing, or any other physical touch in public between anyone in general, and especially none between males themselves (god forbid boys not being taught to grow up to be good old-fashioned, tough, red-blooded American men!). :angry:

Look, no one wants to see people getting their freak on in the middle of the street (like I saw in downtown Atlanta last year, where a guy in a suit--probably a lawyer from King and Spalding, hehehe--and some woman--probably a lawyer as well--were going at it across from the Westin Plaza).

People need to let kids be kids and stop trying to be all bent up on rules... and this is a stupid rule. (Which I think we can all agree on)

What happens during carrier day when a fire fighter or police officer goes to shake the hand of a young man... is that against the

But that leaves 46.7% of the population that would like to see the world in chastity belt. It's no longer enough to keep the GOP in the majority at Washington DC but that is still enough to throw some weight around at local and state levels, schools included.

People need to let kids be kids and stop trying to be all bent up on rules... and this is a stupid rule. (Which I think we can all agree on)

What happens during carrier day when a fire fighter or police officer goes to shake the hand of a young man... is that against the

A guy I went to college with started a website, which is fairly popular among the teenagers crowd. Every topic relates to either boredom, sex, or religion. Kids nowadays are willingly ready to admit they're giving it up at 12, 13, or 14 years old ... or waiting to marriage because God said so. There's almost nothing in the middle.

This is becoming a very very strange culture we live in.

were any of you there to see this "hug"? hugs can be quick and meaningless or long and passionate. while i think having the rule is dumb, the rule could have been something to keep people from making out (which is why high 5's and handshakes are not looked upon as being offenses). i think it's perfectly legit for a school to have a rule against making out and i have a feeling this "hug" was probably one of those longer more passionate hugs that was borderline making out.

i also understand the need for rules such as assigned seats in the cafe. sure, it's not horrible for someone to get out of their seat, but if someone breaks the rules, they need to be punished. i didn't read to see what the punishment was, but i have worked in schools and i completely back these types of rules. they are necessary. they are generally in place for a reason, and usually that reason is that someone ruined it for everyone else. assigned seats in the cafe are there to keep people from ganging up on others, from causing problems like food fights, etc. assigned seats in class are to keep people from disrupting the class and preventing others from learning (the primary reason kids are in school).

while many of these rules might seem archaic, they are, in fact, necessary in many cases. if the rules exist and don't get enforced, they're a waste, like someone getting in trouble for being out of their seat. if one kid gets away with it, others have reason to fight their punishment.

Yes rules are rules. But when rules go too far as in the case of this "no contact" rul,e we start to get something called oppression esp. when a rule is put in place to prevent one of the most basic forms of human expression. I'm not saying that things like "making out" should go unchecked. But disallowing hi-five's, handshakes, even hugs is something I see as indisputably oppressive.

Yes rules are rules. But when rules go too far as in the case of this "no contact" rul,e we start to get something called oppression esp. when a rule is put in place to prevent one of the most basic forms of human expression. I'm not saying that things like "making out" should go unchecked. But disallowing hi-five's, handshakes, even hugs is something I see as indisputably oppressive.

Archived