New Urbanism in a Sports Facility?

Good day everyone.. I need your opinions and expert comments on this one..

I'm an Architecture student :rolleyes: .. I'd like to gain knowledge about New Urbanism and its adaptive applications in terms of other projects rather than planning public spaces and communities.

Is "New Urbanism" applicable in designing a sports facility/athlete's community, just like an integrated Athlete's Training Complex (swimming, athletics, martial arts etc.) and Dormitory Complex?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good day everyone.. I need your opinions and expert comments on this one..

I'm an Architecture student :rolleyes: .. I'd like to gain knowledge about New Urbanism and its adaptive applications in terms of other projects rather than planning public spaces and communities.

Is "New Urbanism" applicable in designing a sports facility/athlete's community, just like an integrated Athlete's Training Complex (swimming, athletics, martial arts etc.) and Dormitory Complex?

University of Cincinnati kind of comes to mind from what you are describing. Although it does have public spaces for the whole community, it really is all centered around the athletics. I have photos, and when I find them, I will post them here.

Not exactly what you're talking about, but some professional sports facilities have broken with the recent tradition of building stadiums among a sea of parking lots, and instead are better integrated with existing neighborhoods, and more accessible by transit and pedestrians.

I haven't been there, but as I understand it PETCO Park in San Diego is a good example of this trend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETCO_Park

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good topic. As we speak, I have been working on a land use plan for a district with a possible MLS stadium. There are a tone of elements, and it is a redevelopment project. Its been very challenging, but fun at the same time.

But, this is a new trend that is becoming common among sport venues. I live in the valley of the sun, and it is becoming common here. A place called Westgate out in Glendale for the coyotes stadium is being built. The cardinals stadium is surrounded by a sea of parking. It is amazing to see both types and how bad one looks vs. the other. Also, in downtown phx, the suns and d-backs area is working on the proposed jackson st. entertainment district. Even around ASU, there are a ton of condo towers and other projects going around the campus and stadium. Light rail is helping to fuel this movement of urban living.

You have petco park, the chargers have looked into it. LA live around the staples center. Kansas city light and power district to name a few others. Victory park and glory park are some others.

What sport owners and cities etc have in mind is to make their area a destination before and after games. There is a lot of positives in mixing uses and doing this around these type of venues.

As someone said, New Urbanism can be used in any setting, and a lot of people, universities are going that way.

Archived