Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDC

Presidential candidate endorses light rail

7 posts in this topic

New Mexico governor and democratic party presidential hopeful Bill Richardson pledged to help implement light rail systems throughout the country, including in Los Angeles, if elected.

Story from the Associated Press

New Mexico governor and democratic party presidential hopeful Bill Richardson pledged to help implement light rail systems throughout the country, including in Los Angeles, if elected.

Being as I've never been to New Mexico I have to ask...are there any light rails running in Santa Fe, or any other city in New Mexico?

Great find....his stock just went up tremendously in my book...finally, someone who "gets it"

Same here, though he's easily the most qualified candidate out there anyway... but we probably want to stay away from politics. ^_^

There's commuter rail in Albuquerque - the Rail Runner Express. It doesn't go to Santa Fe, but I believe there's an extension planned.

Michael Bloomberg is another potential candidate who's demonstrated an affinity for transit. He recently told a reporter that his dream as mayor is to make public transit free and charge a fortune to drive a car in the Big Apple.

from The NY Daily News

"I would have mass transit be given away for nothing and charge an awful lot for bringing an automobile into the city," he said.

A reporter might have expected a politician to then rumble away in a black SUV. He instead walked the two blocks to the G train without a single news camera to record the event.

Most of the population lives in cities, so it makes sense that city issues are important to the US.