Bonnaroo 2007

nashvol85

I went to Bonnaroo for the first time this year and I thought it was incredible. Despite the scorching heat and lack of rain, I really enjoyed the festival. There were folks from all across the nation and from all walks of life intermingling and really enjoying the weekend. I did not personally see anyone get really upset (which surprised me)...everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves (either that or they were on too many drugs and were in there own little world...lol).

All in all, I saw at least part of 13 different concerts:

The Black Angels

Tea Leaf Green

The Roots

TOOL

STS9

The String Cheese Incident

DJ Shadow

Ween

The Police

Galactic

Gov't Mule

The Flaming Lips

Wolfmother

The concert I enjoyed the most was TOOL...they really blew me away...they put on an incredible show. They played most of their hits, along with a lot of new stuff. It was a really good mix. It's highlight was a 15-or-so minute version of "Lateralus" which included a guest guitar solo from the legendary Tom Morello (from Rage Against the Machine), who played part of the solo with his teeth.

I also really enjoyed The Roots and Tea Leaf Green...both of them really rocked and had the crowd really into the show...The Roots cover of Bob Dylan's "Masters of War" was very, very good...

I had never heard of The Black Angels before, and they were the first show that I saw. I was very happily surprised by what I saw...they were a really good band in my opinion. Despite the almost unbearable heat, I ended the weekend watching Wolfmother play. I thought they put on a pretty good show even though I just stayed for the first 5 songs. I wanted to stay for the White Stripes and Widespread Panic, but it was just too terribly hot and everyone I camped with was ready to get the hell out of Dodge...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad you had a good time. LOL... I'm only 36 and your post is evidence that a generation gap exists between me and your peers. I've never even heard of those groups.

Regarding Bonnaroo, I couldn't believe my bad luck two years ago when I opted to drive up to Nashville instead of fly there on a Thursday (I was going to stay over through Sunday). Anyway, it happened to be Bonnaroo weekend and I found this out in Chattanooga. I made the huge mistake of going by way of Hwy 111 to Cookeville to bypass the traffic on I-24. Turns out, I probably wouldn't have taken nearly as long if I'd gone the usual way (I-24).

Question: I recall some construction on I-24 a year or so ago at the western foot of Monteagle. There was some elaborate bridgework and what looked like gates put up at the sides. At the time, I had heard that TDOT was making a temporary exit for Bonnaroo. I was skeptical as it was not really anywhere near the site of Bonnaroo. Is that what it really was?

the temporary exit for Bonnaroo is near mile 112 for westbound traffic only. It's basically just some dirt and a break in the tree's, but it really helps with traffic. They began this the 2nd or 3rd year of the festival. As a 5 time veteran(i missed the 4th) i can honestly say that they seem to have the traffic down to a science. for the most part, the only traffic the past 2 years has been directly at the site. I-24 and most surrounding highways have had few problems recently.

as far as the festival goes, it was a blast as usual! The Police were a little disappointing. They played a very short set. But everything else was great.

Archived