A Dollar Alternative

wellen

I read this article and thought it was a very interesting, creative way to keep local-money local. It would encourage customers to shop locally, and also encourage local businesses to buy from local suppliers/producers. What do you guys think of the possibility/potential of 'GreenBills'?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it - people that want to buy locally do so now. And they make an extra effort to do so. Forcing it isn't really an issue - and one thing I've always wondered how do I decide what's local and what isn't? For instance Subway is a franchise business. So locally Fred might own it - does that count as shopping local or not? I mean Fred still does some business locally - it's a tricky thing. IMHO a lot of the reason people don't shop locally is convenience - it's easier to go to Target than it is to 5 different places to get what I need. And a local grocery? Bi-Lo???? Sorry but I've never really had a good shopping experience at Bi-Lo.

And try to find a "local" restaurant that's not high end and good luck to you. I'm talking something along the lines of a Red Robin, Ruby Tuesday type place. Fast food tends to suffer from this as well - I <3 Swad, Taco Casa, Pita House, BBQ places, etc. But where is there a good local deli that's not a franchise? Point me to it and I'll give it a shot

And I swear I remember a story not too long ago about a community in appalachia using their own currency and the government was cracking down on them - isn't this the same thing?

Subway gets all of their food supplies from a distribution center. All produce is grown far, far away. So, where the franchisee and his employees are local, his suppliers are not. Nor does the 8% royalty payment stay local.

But it is not just food. There are plenty of local clothing store, kitchen supply stores, and appliance stores. I don't want anyone to be 'forced', to use your word, to spend their money where they don't want to. This is a marketing tool that will allow small business to possibly get the same name recognition locally that the chains have nationally. I don't dislike chain stores, but I will spend a similar amount of money on a simlar product at a local retailer first.

Why shouldn't local business be expected to offer a superior service or product that appeals to a broad range of consumers, just as national retailers are? Why should the standard be different, simply because a place is "locally owned?"

In Greenville, the local retailers who have failed did so because they made poor decisions. They either overestimated the desire for their product/service, and/or selected a location with rent that was higher than they could afford. I'm sorry, but some of the stores on Main Street that have closed recently made the mistake of offering products that targeted a much too narrow range of customers. I hate it for them that they were not successful. But I can't bring myself to blame the public for "not supporting local businesses" when the product didn't appeal to more than 5% of consumers to begin with.

Besides, I hate it when any business fails - national retailers included. It still involves someone's personal investment, and in the case of many national chains, it was a local person who ponied up tons of money to own a franchise. So why is such a scenario not met with as much tear-shedding as when a local mom-and-pop store closes?

I read this article and thought it was a very interesting, creative way to keep local-money local. It would encourage customers to shop locally, and also encourage local businesses to buy from local suppliers/producers. What do you guys think of the possibility/potential of 'GreenBills'?

...But where is there a good local deli that's not a franchise? Point me to it and I'll give it a shot...

And I swear I remember a story not too long ago about a community in appalachia using their own currency and the government was cracking down on them - isn't this the same thing?

Archived