Greenbelt

ballard100685

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I think the project you are referring to is the Wolf River Greenbelt project. I've heard of the Nonconnah Greenbelt, but I'm not aware of what is going on with it--and that info sounds very familiar to the Wolf River project. The Wolf River greenbelt includes federally funded land acquisition of floodway land to protect and preserve and a Corps of Engineers construction project to reduce headcutting and stabilize the banks. I'm pretty familiar with the Wolf River project. It has also had several pieces run in the CA. The Collierville section is undergoing land acquisition and river stabilization projects and has been since 2004. Other sections, like in Germantown, near Baptist Hospital, and near Shelby Farms/Agricenter are really already set aside and some improvements (trails, boat ramps, etc) exist or are in the works. The CA ran an article in the last month or so about the Berclair-Raleigh-Frayser-Memphis section and that the Council had approved it or at least heard it as a proposal to develop trails and other amenities. I'm much more familiar with the Collierville section, so my facts may not be all straight on the other sections.

It is interesting that a similar project already exists near Moscow, TN in Fayette County near the headwaters of the Wolf. I believe that long term, the goal is to connect the 2. Of course, trails are not the only amenity--boat ramps are also planned to promote canoeing and fishing.

This is not only a major amenity, but also an important commitment to natural resources--their protection and recreational use.

As for Nonconnah Creek, it's possible something similar is being developed, but I am not aware of such. I do know that it is set aside as greenbelt and probably will include trails at some time as Memphis, Shelby County, Germantown, and Collierville see fit. If anyone does have information about the Nonconnah Greenbelt, I'd love to see some links to see how it compares/relates to the Wolf River project.

Archived