Devastating fire in West Ashley

krazeeboi

This has been all over local and national news outlets. My heart goes out to the families of the firefighters that were lost in this blaze. It's said to be the greatest lost of firefighters due to one event since 9/11, and it's probably the greatest such loss in Charleston's history. Flags at state institutions have been ordered to be flown at half mast in honor of the fallen firefighters.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a great tragedy that I, using a quote from Mayor Riley, simply cannot fathom or comprehend. I have a friend who is a city firefighter, and I immediately thought of him. He was not in the blaze, thank the Lord. My old house was just 1/2 mile from the Sofa Super Store. When I was younger, I ran by the store and rode my bike past it all the time. I even asked store employees for a drink of water. In my earlier days, the store used to be a Piggly Wiggly where my family bought groceries.

It's just dumbfounding. May God bless and comfort the fallen, brave souls and their families.

The scenes I've seen from the funerals of these heroes have been quite touching and moving to say the least. May they all rest in peace.

So what do you guys think about the site of the Sofa Superstore? Should it be converted to a memorial park? Should Highway 17 be renamed in honor of the nine firefighters?

Hmmm. I knew this question would come up sooner or later. I don't know if they'll rename the Savannah Highway, because when you have a massive loss of life like that, what namewould you use? Fireman Drive, maybe? The better option is to create a park, but what should be done with the Sofa Superstore? It is a good business, and maybe the owner could be compensated to move his WA store to the old Walmart site on Glenn McConnell...but I'm still kind of undecided on that. If the store was rebuilt on the original site, one section should definitely be a memorial park.

Hmmm. I knew this question would come up sooner or later. I don't know if they'll rename the Savannah Highway, because when you have a massive loss of life like that, what namewould you use? Fireman Drive, maybe? The better option is to create a park, but what should be done with the Sofa Superstore? It is a good business, and maybe the owner could be compensated to move his WA store to the old Walmart site on Glenn McConnell...but I'm still kind of undecided on that. If the store was rebuilt on the original site, one section should definitely be a memorial park.

I know that Mr. Goldstein, owner, said that they plan to continue the north area and Mt. P locations. However, the WA location was the HQ of the company. Remember, their warehouse for storage and shipping was there. No one has indicated that they will open another WA location, yet, but I really hope they do.

Archived