"Why can't we be more like Grand Rapids?" - The Patriot Ledger - Boston

GRDadof3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would disagree. The Boston market is far more advanced than GR. According to Wikipedia they have over 100 colleges and research universities in the Greater Boston area and 250,000 students in Boston and neighboring Cambridge. There are many cultural institutions due to Boston

I am not sure that I understand how you disagree. I was just watching a bit on CNN about how the Boston residential market is so expensive that young proffesionals and college grads are shying away from starting there because sallaries are not keeping pace with cost of living and housing prices. I was just commenting on a matter of perspective and how $400,000 is a lot of house to someone from our area.

I am not sure that I understand how you disagree. I was just watching a bit on CNN about how the Boston residential market is so expensive that young proffesionals and college grads are shying away from starting there because sallaries are not keeping pace with cost of living and housing prices. I was just commenting on a matter of perspective and how $400,000 is a lot of house to someone from our area.

Just for kicks, google the subject phrase. Most of the hits point right back here!

Wonder if the author has noticed...whoops, bet she just did. (Key to the City awaits upon your return! Come back for Celebration, we're having a bicycle race!)

I love the article...but when a contributing editor's email is ____@yahoo.com we might be dealing with a paper on the grand scale of the East Grand Rapids Cadence.

Does anyone know anything about the Patriot-Ledger?

This article was also passed out at the most recent EDC meeting and a recent meeting of the areas top HR officials.

It's not important how this article makes the average Bostonian feel about GR it's very important how this article makes the average GR citizen feel about our area.

To often we fall in to the trap presented by our media that things are horrible and everyone who is anyone is leaving. That's just not true West Michigan is not Michigan. We have many wonderful stories that we need to tell the rest of the world.

Even if it takes an editor from a small paper in Boston to make us realize it.

This article was also passed out at the most recent EDC meeting and a recent meeting of the areas top HR officials.

It's not important how this article makes the average Bostonian feel about GR it's very important how this article makes the average GR citizen feel about our area.

To often we fall in to the trap presented by our media that things are horrible and everyone who is anyone is leaving. That's just not true West Michigan is not Michigan. We have many wonderful stories that we need to tell the rest of the world.

Even if it takes an editor from a small paper in Boston to make us realize it.

No kidding. I was in Cincinnati last weekend for a wedding and while we were there we went to this thing called Home-A-Rama. Basically it's a development where different luxury builders and subcontracts do their best and most expensive work and show them off. Think real guady stuff like plasma TVs on outside porches, showers surrounded by fish tanks, and kitchen islands so big you can't even reach the middle of them. The largest house was about 11,000 square feet or so and they were only asking a little more than $2 million for it. I hate to imagine what that would cost on either coast.

So I'm moving; talked to the water department a couple days ago. Today I didn't have water. Turned on everything at the meter, still nothing. Rang up their emergency number (it was after 5) and a very pleasant fellow tried looking me up. Computer down. He said, "tell ya what. Give me a call when you get to your house, and I'll send somebody out then."

What is it with these people trying to be helpful and friendly?? Dude, you're a municipal employee! "That's not my department. I don't make the rules." (No, I didn't play the former City staffer card. I got the impression they treat everyone with such good care and concern.)

I'm a GR expatriate living in Boston for the last 4 years. The cost of housing around here is ridiculous. The mariginally higher wages do not put me or most of my friends in a position to buy a house. Even a tiny 3 bedroom will cost around $300k or more. I always enjoy coming back home to GR. Visits to the downtown area are becoming especially exciting. Also, my friends who visit GR are always very surprised with what they see.

I'm a GR expatriate living in Boston for the last 4 years. The cost of housing around here is ridiculous. The mariginally higher wages do not put me or most of my friends in a position to buy a house. Even a tiny 3 bedroom will cost around $300k or more. I always enjoy coming back home to GR. Visits to the downtown area are becoming especially exciting. Also, my friends who visit GR are always very surprised with what they see.

On the other hand, there are pieces like this in the Arizona Daily Star about a West Michigan expatriate living in Tucson.

Some of Cindy Bezaury's comments are ridiculous, in my opinion.

And then there's Tucson's sunshine. "When you grow up in the Midwest you spend the majority of the year in rain, snow or gray skies," she said.

People in Tucson are happier, she said, because of the weather and all the things they can do here. By contrast, many people in Michigan are not very happy, she said.

Archived