Abercorn Widening.... interesting project...

109investments

Well today I attended the Georgia Department of Transporation meeting at the new Armstrong Center, it was exciting the see the new pictures of the future of abercorn street ... they are talking about turning abercorn from rio road to holland drive into a freeway, there will be 3 lanes of frontage of the left side and 3 lanes of a frontage road (as they call) on the right.. and in the middle will house the beams for the 6 lanes on top ... the bridge on top will connect into truman parkway (which is phase 5 starting in 2009) which will finally connect to abercorn... traffic in savannah is projected to go off the charts, predicting something close to 100,000 daily traffic counts on abercorn.... its amazing the exit ramps and under bridge traffic lights, they even had a simulation of traffic on the road on the projection sceerns, its amazing how southside and midtown are going to look....

check this out...

The GDOT is very concerned with the traffic out of King George BLVD.. so they are adding a overpass on 204 and if you want to get off at georgetown you have to take the exit, its like a interstate now ... and the waffle house and parkers store will be taken away because of the ramps.... i wish i had pictures of this.. but its going to be consistent traffic flowing in and out..... btw from king george to the rio road, it will be 4 lanes on each side.....

Anyways i asked when they are going to start, they said truman IS starting in 09 and they are working on the georgetown/ king george around the same time ....

Savannah is truely turning into a mini atlanta .... brunswicks our macon and statesboro is our athens :shades:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well today I attended the Georgia Department of Transporation meeting at the new Armstrong Center, it was exciting the see the new pictures of the future of abercorn street ... they are talking about turning abercorn from rio road to holland drive into a freeway, there will be 3 lanes of frontage of the left side and 3 lanes of a frontage road (as they call) on the right.. and in the middle will house the beams for the 6 lanes on top ... the bridge on top will connect into truman parkway (which is phase 5 starting in 2009) which will finally connect to abercorn... traffic in savannah is projected to go off the charts, predicting something close to 100,000 daily traffic counts on abercorn.... its amazing the exit ramps and under bridge traffic lights, they even had a simulation of traffic on the road on the projection sceerns, its amazing how southside and midtown are going to look....

check this out...

The GDOT is very concerned with the traffic out of King George BLVD.. so they are adding a overpass on 204 and if you want to get off at georgetown you have to take the exit, its like a interstate now ... and the waffle house and parkers store will be taken away because of the ramps.... i wish i had pictures of this.. but its going to be consistent traffic flowing in and out..... btw from king george to the rio road, it will be 4 lanes on each side.....

Anyways i asked when they are going to start, they said truman IS starting in 09 and they are working on the georgetown/ king george around the same time ....

Savannah is truely turning into a mini atlanta .... brunswicks our macon and statesboro is our athens :shades:

check this out...

Savannah is a very short-sighted city, unfortunately. Abercorn should have been made into a "freeway" years ago. While I dig this plan, it doesn't go far enough. First, it makes no sense to end the Truman at Abercorn/Holland. You're merely dumping all that traffic in an already heavily congested area. What would make more sense would be to keep that terminus as a spur, but link up the Truman at the Veterans, giving Savannah a loop around the city. Extending the Truman to Hutchison Is, at this point in time, makes little economic sense. Buidling another high rise bridge over the river, while cool, would be cost prohibitive. I'd rather see a collaboration beween GA & SC to carry I-16 over the Talmadge, bring US 17 up to interstate standards, and bring it up to I-95, somewhere north of the current exit 8. With the joint port coming, that makes a lot more sense to me, and it would fully address Hutchison Is. access. Even better, as a carat to SC & reward them for joining up with GPA for the Jasper Co. port, go ahead & extend I-77 down from Columbia & end it at the foot of the Talmadge.

Back to Abercorn. It should continue north as a freeway to at least Montgomery Xrds, if not further up (Mall, Eisenhower..Derenne?).

Nonetheless, the plan sounds interesting, and without actually seeing the renderings, evokes images of Houston's freeway system, with frontage (feeder) roads, and lights at underpasses. It works very well for them & could work well here, if executed properly.

Savannah is a very short-sighted city, unfortunately. Abercorn should have been made into a "freeway" years ago. While I dig this plan, it doesn't go far enough. First, it makes no sense to end the Truman at Abercorn/Holland. You're merely dumping all that traffic in an already heavily congested area. What would make more sense would be to keep that terminus as a spur, but link up the Truman at the Veterans, giving Savannah a loop around the city. Extending the Truman to Hutchison Is, at this point in time, makes little economic sense. Buidling another high rise bridge over the river, while cool, would be cost prohibitive. I'd rather see a collaboration beween GA & SC to carry I-16 over the Talmadge, bring US 17 up to interstate standards, and bring it up to I-95, somewhere north of the current exit 8. With the joint port coming, that makes a lot more sense to me, and it would fully address Hutchison Is. access. Even better, as a carat to SC & reward them for joining up with GPA for the Jasper Co. port, go ahead & extend I-77 down from Columbia & end it at the foot of the Talmadge.

Back to Abercorn. It should continue north as a freeway to at least Montgomery Xrds, if not further up (Mall, Eisenhower..Derenne?).

Nonetheless, the plan sounds interesting, and without actually seeing the renderings, evokes images of Houston's freeway system, with frontage (feeder) roads, and lights at underpasses. It works very well for them & could work well here, if executed properly.

• 1 month later...

they are shooting for may 08' ..... there was a interesting article in the SMN about the middleground widening... and how its being redeveloped and new developments are sprining up all around the road.... a office park developer says more the half of his office spaces are already sold .....

Archived