Public Waterfront Access for Mobile

Southron

Mobile badly needs more public waterfront access near downtown, and more southward along the western shore of the bay. The Lagniappe article linked below mentions a new 41-acre public park at Arlington Point just south of the Coast Guard base in the Brookley Field complex. According to the article, plans for the park include a boardwalk, picnic areas, bike trails and canoe/kayak access. The port authority director expects construction to start in the summer or fall.

What should be done to provide more public waterfront access for downtown and the western shore of Mobile Bay?

Lagniappe: The Real Deal

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mobile badly needs more public waterfront access near downtown, and more southward along the western shore of the bay. The Lagniappe article linked below mentions a new 41-acre public park at Arlington Point just south of the Coast Guard base in the Brookley Field complex. According to the article, plans for the park include a boardwalk, picnic areas, bike trails and canoe/kayak access. The port authority director expects construction to start in the summer or fall.

What should be done to provide more public waterfront access for downtown and the western shore of Mobile Bay?

Lagniappe: The Real Deal

To me, this plan for Arlington Park is a big waste. Not being pessimistic, but what average Mobilian is going to drive into/through Brookley Industrial Complex to get to a small public water access? That area is notoriously unsafe and not exactly picturesque. We need access downtown. We also need to remove some of the public housing from the waterfront/flood planes to make room for better development.

It is not hard to find the area that they are talking about. I think the park is a great idea. The park will certainly bring good things to that area. After all USA has been approached by tons of developers wanting to purchase and develop the golf course there. I think a lot of people would travel there. It has beautiful plans. It is also included in the bring back broad with the trolley traveling down broad and ending at the park. It will just help the down the bay area, which is historic, redevelop. I often go to parties on USA campus there and feel totally safe.....there aren't any people there!!

I dont doubt that lots of developers want to get at that land(especially the golf course/bayfront). I guess my doubts are based on the port authority/local govt handling the development. A private group would do this project to the max and it would be amazing. Im not sure that the port authority/local govt wont just do the minnimum to fulfill their requirements. We, as a city, do not take very good care of our public spaces. We have lots of spaces that are underused because they are in bad areas and because they are severely under-maintained. I hope this project becomes a huge success, I just am slightly pessimistic at the onset.

Archived