Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sparky05

Ford Gravesite Work

21 posts in this topic

While walking through the Ford Museum grounds today, I noticed work going on at the Ford's gravesite:

576485394_1fbd948c4f_b.jpg

576635559_5437f170c4.jpg

I presume that another curved wall to mirror the original will be put in place here; does anyone have any inside info on this project?

Interesting. I wonder of Marv DeWinter is designing it? :dontknow:

I've been told that the site is being modified to accommodate a couple of granite benches that are being donated. I believe the cut into the hillside will have a similar concrete facing to match the grave itself. Work should be done in short order. :thumbsup:

I wonder why none of the local news networks seem to have caught wind of this yet? After all they did a good job on covering the burial ceremony.

I guess my question is, what was the point?

Symmetry?

not that its bad, I think it looks nice, and compliments the memorial, but it just doesn't make sense why it was placed there.

Symmetry?

not that its bad, I think it looks nice, and compliments the memorial, but it just doesn't make sense why it was placed there.

Symmetry?

Y'know, there's this thing called "the internet" and it has "search engines" that will answer just about any question one might have on any topic.

I went to "Google" and typed in "gerald ford burial site benches." Up came this from WZZM:

..."The project is in response to the wish of former First Lady Betty Ford - to give all visitors a more comfortable place to reflect on her husband's life.

"I think they'll really like it. It'll be very serene here and that was the intent. It will be a nice time for them to give thought to President Ford," says Jim Kratsas, deputy director of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum

A Plainfield Township company donated the benches that will face the gravesite, located just north of the presidential museum.

The site will also include a retaining wall, greenery, and biblical passage that was a favorite of the President. "...

HTH

yeah yeah I read about the benches... it just still seems awkward to just sit and stare at a gravestone. I dunno graves creep me out really. And the idea of sitting down to look at one? even creepier.

yeah yeah I read about the benches... it just still seems awkward to just sit and stare at a gravestone. I dunno graves creep me out really. And the idea of sitting down to look at one? even creepier.

rivegauche - I couldn't have said it better myself - brilliant. (You might want to be prepared to be taken to the woodshed though - you just stepped on a few conservative toes.)

Politics aside. I think Ford was an alright guy. It was the volatile circumstances Nixon left behind that put Ford's back up against a wall and lost him the election to Carter.

I think the point was to create a space for the benches, somewhere for people to sit and reflect. In my opinion, placing the benches anywhere else in that area would have been awkward. The only thing I can't figure out is the stantions and ropes behind the benches. I wonder if those are still out there, or just happened to be there that particular day?

Also, don't forget that many of the people visiting the gravesite are elderly. They may want to sit at the benches after walking all the way from the parking lot. Benches say "sit and stay awhile", and makes it more homey (as Mrs. Ford stated that she wanted). Most people do not have an abnormal fear of gravestones of famous people and loved ones.

I've seen it in real life, and I think it's pretty nice.