Ford Gravesite Work

sparky05

While walking through the Ford Museum grounds today, I noticed work going on at the Ford's gravesite:

576485394_1fbd948c4f_b.jpg

576635559_5437f170c4.jpg

I presume that another curved wall to mirror the original will be put in place here; does anyone have any inside info on this project?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Y'know, there's this thing called "the internet" and it has "search engines" that will answer just about any question one might have on any topic.

I went to "Google" and typed in "gerald ford burial site benches." Up came this from WZZM:

..."The project is in response to the wish of former First Lady Betty Ford - to give all visitors a more comfortable place to reflect on her husband's life.

"I think they'll really like it. It'll be very serene here and that was the intent. It will be a nice time for them to give thought to President Ford," says Jim Kratsas, deputy director of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum

A Plainfield Township company donated the benches that will face the gravesite, located just north of the presidential museum.

The site will also include a retaining wall, greenery, and biblical passage that was a favorite of the President. "...

HTH

I think the point was to create a space for the benches, somewhere for people to sit and reflect. In my opinion, placing the benches anywhere else in that area would have been awkward. The only thing I can't figure out is the stantions and ropes behind the benches. I wonder if those are still out there, or just happened to be there that particular day?

Also, don't forget that many of the people visiting the gravesite are elderly. They may want to sit at the benches after walking all the way from the parking lot. Benches say "sit and stay awhile", and makes it more homey (as Mrs. Ford stated that she wanted). Most people do not have an abnormal fear of gravestones of famous people and loved ones.

I've seen it in real life, and I think it's pretty nice.

Archived