Newsweek Top 1200 High Schools in the Nation

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I long known Rickards would emerge as a top high school in the city for the simple fact that it's the most challenging school to attend here. Most are intimidated by their IB program... only the brave dare tackle it, and those who succeed really gain alot from the experience. I was fortunate to get a great bit from AP at Lincoln.

It comes as no surprise at all that Rickards was among the top on the list. Its amazing how sometimes locals don't think things can improve or change... such as the condition of our community is changing, so too is the condition of our schools.

Opps. I forgot the link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/site/newsweek/

I knew Tallahassee schools were pretty good. My high school wasn't even on the list (my school didn't have a magnet program. We were the "ghetto" high school"). I can always tell the gap in conversations sometimes, where locals can remember more facts or do mental math faster than I can. Though I am pretty good at figuring things out and find things out.

I don't know how I feel about their judging methods:

Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews: the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2006 divided by the number of graduating seniors.

That really doesn't tell us much of anything about a high school.

I went to Santaluces High School in Palm Beach County. My dad taught there so I tagged along when I was of age to go to school there. Our school was known for its special education program. XD

I took AP and Honors classes there, but we didn't have any IB or Magent programs. I don't know why.

I don't know how I feel about their judging methods:

Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews: the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2006 divided by the number of graduating seniors.

That really doesn't tell us much of anything about a high school.

I wonder where my alma matter ranks. Our high school is one of the 3 or 4 worst in Dade County. In fact, the SGA treasurer who got arrested for fraud at FSU was an alumna of my high school.

I see Miami Norland Senior High graduates are doing great things :rolleyes:

That's what i'm talkin about, Rickards moving on up like The Jeffersons :shades: Rickards IB program isn't for the weak @ heart. Regardless, congrats to my alma mater. Miami Coral Reef came in @ #21, Miami Palmetto #81, Miami MAST Academy #70. Only 3 Miami high schools came on the list. Northwestern, Central, Carol City or Norland were nowhere to be found.

:lol: Not even one New Orleans or Louisiana high school made the list. I'm not surprised since LA's education system is one of the worst in the nation. It's sad because even in the worst schools, there are intelligent students. If this list was titled "Top 1200 high school football teams" I guarantee Miami Carol City, Northwestern, Central & Norland would rank either in the top 5 or 10. In Broward/Dade/Palm Beach County, moreso in Dade, athletics reign supreme

Out of curiosity, I went to the site to see where high schools from the state in which I was reared (Mississippi) ranked on the list. Only two: Murrah in Jackson (#540) and Oxford in Oxford, MS (#1198). Not surprising since Mississippi ranks as having one of the worst education systems statewide in the nation. <_<

I went to Santaluces High School in Palm Beach County. My dad taught there so I tagged along when I was of age to go to school there. Our school was known for its special education program. XD

I took AP and Honors classes there, but we didn't have any IB or Magent programs. I don't know why.

Archived