Changing downtown streetscapes

it's just dave

As I was driving through town on the way home tonight, it struck me that I'm sometimes too stuck on buildings going up, what they're made of, who's building them, how tall or not they will be, and such things as that. But what struck me most tonight was the changes in street level I noticed.

I'm not really thinking Broadway or Second, but the interior core. Tonight I noticed a sign for the upcoming Fire Finch Downtown to be located next to Village Real Estates offices between 3rd and 4th on Church St. http://www.firefinch.net/

This is a very cool store. I've been at the one in Hillsboro Village many times and am thrilled that downtown will now have a location...between Church St. Lofts and The Exchange.

I started thinking of a year ago when most things that are there now, weren't. Among them: H.G. Hill Urban Market, Mad Mod, Standard Restaurant and Standard Cafe across the street, Estel Gallery, Tag (among other galleries), Morton's new bar (which ISN'T behind blacked out windows), the upcoming Amerisuites (or...not sure), American Apparel, soon we'll have Panera at SunTrust, we have Dunn Bros., the cool little McQuiddy Building in well underway. The Hampton. The Schermerhorn. The MC Star Station.

While we're watching the cranes, things are happening at street level that's transforming our city. I haven't been out much, but just this little tip of the iceberg tour this afternoon gave me a lot to look forward to.

I haven't been watching the pot of water because it seems that by doing so, it never, ever boils, but my limited exposure (intentional) to downtown allows my occasional trips to show me just how quickly things indeed are changing around here. I'm frankly, quite blown away. Knowing that I ain't seen nuthin' yet makes the Fall that much more exciting when I trade in my shovel and weeding and mulching for long, fascinating walks downtown.

Give some of these big projects a rest and look more deeply into our city streets. Then, before you know it, the big ones will rise before your eyes. Pot watching drives me crazy, but I love surprises.

Hank, you know what I'm talking about here since weeks pass between your visits. Pretty cool, huh?

I know I've missed some things. If anybody's got any tidbits about some of the small things, I'd love to hear about them.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I was driving through town on the way home tonight, it struck me that I'm sometimes too stuck on buildings going up, what they're made of, who's building them, how tall or not they will be, and such things as that. But what struck me most tonight was the changes in street level I noticed.

I'm not really thinking Broadway or Second, but the interior core. Tonight I noticed a sign for the upcoming Fire Finch Downtown to be located next to Village Real Estates offices between 3rd and 4th on Church St. http://www.firefinch.net/

This is a very cool store. I've been at the one in Hillsboro Village many times and am thrilled that downtown will now have a location...between Church St. Lofts and The Exchange.

I started thinking of a year ago when most things that are there now, weren't. Among them: H.G. Hill Urban Market, Mad Mod, Standard Restaurant and Standard Cafe across the street, Estel Gallery, Tag (among other galleries), Morton's new bar (which ISN'T behind blacked out windows), the upcoming Amerisuites (or...not sure), American Apparel, soon we'll have Panera at SunTrust, we have Dunn Bros., the cool little McQuiddy Building in well underway. The Hampton. The Schermerhorn. The MC Star Station.

While we're watching the cranes, things are happening at street level that's transforming our city. I haven't been out much, but just this little tip of the iceberg tour this afternoon gave me a lot to look forward to.

I haven't been watching the pot of water because it seems that by doing so, it never, ever boils, but my limited exposure (intentional) to downtown allows my occasional trips to show me just how quickly things indeed are changing around here. I'm frankly, quite blown away. Knowing that I ain't seen nuthin' yet makes the Fall that much more exciting when I trade in my shovel and weeding and mulching for long, fascinating walks downtown.

Give some of these big projects a rest and look more deeply into our city streets. Then, before you know it, the big ones will rise before your eyes. Pot watching drives me crazy, but I love surprises.

Hank, you know what I'm talking about here since weeks pass between your visits. Pretty cool, huh?

I know I've missed some things. If anybody's got any tidbits about some of the small things, I'd love to hear about them.

You are so right Dave. Many of the larger projects are going to generate a lot of smaller projects, in fills, and new business's. I really think the Capitol Mall area is going to surprise a lot of people over the next 2 to 5 years. I think Sobro will come along with or with out a development starting right away at the thermal plant site. We should see a lot of smaller development going in here as well as much more in the Gulch. The retail community will take a little while to catch up to the residential development going on, but it will and we will all be surprised. I take many walks DT and in Midtown and notice just about every new development (large and small) and new business going in. East Nashville is no exception either. Many new retailers will go in along with the ones already there.

:offtopic: I was just thinking this morning that a good use for the Thermal Plant site would be a urban town center much along the lines of HG Hill Town Center in Green Hills. This would work well DT, IMO. I am sure that would be up for debate with some here, but it would add a much needed urban aspect to DT with a mix of retail, residential and commercial development. They could incorporate Green Space into this as well.

I am waiting on some surprises this year and I hope and think we will have some. ^_^

At the last URA meeting, Tamara Dickson with the Nashville Downtown Partnership told us about a new firm they have hired to research, market and recruit retail businesses to the downtown area. I am sure the Partnership can offer more info on this if you are interested.

i don't know fellas, i'm not sure if i like downtown now. i liked it better when there weren't as many people there and it wasn't so crowded. lets make nashville like it used to be. ok, so that was all a lie. nashville is becoming (for lack of better terms) badass. all of my out of town friends are amazed at all there is to do out here. and for once you can actually LIVE DOWNTOWN! man, this city makes me more proud each day. great post dave, you hit it on the head with this one (as you usually do!)

Did a little drive around downtown today as I like to do at various times and because I needed to get some looks at the smaller things that have changed and not just look up at cranes...

I loved driving past the new public square by the courthouse and seeing so many people walking around, sitting down, eating lunch and then a few little girls playing in the fountains while their parents watched. I really like the new lighted street signs and I am very happy whenever I see they have replaced one of the old signs downtown.

The area all around Viridian and the Siggy site was filled with people, of course it was around lunchtime, but it still looked like a true downtown area...I just kept thinking how great it would be if those people had more retail options to stop by instead of just walking to get food...then I got to witness a homeless woman slap and proceed to tackle a homeless man in front of a large group of people...quite a sight!

Finally I made it down to SoBro and I could see how that same kind of activity could soon be found down there once Encore is complete and the Pinnacle building (which had a lot of equipment on site today and part of the lot had been torn up) rises. I just wish I had the time, or better yet lived down there, so I could take all of that in on foot and not in my car.

One thing I notice tonight while driving downtown . On top of the large parking garage on second avenue there must be a very large projector on the roof. There was video advertisements and commercials being shown 4 to 5 stories above second on the side of a building . It was a very large and wide projection . It was Very Cool,

It makes you think of Times Square in New York.

As I was leaving downtown from the Earl Scruggs concert at the Ryman (amazing experience by the way), I noticed a projection advertisement on the side of the Holiday Inn Express or whatever it is across the street from the Frist...must have been the same type of thing you are talking about

Archived