More exposure for GR

Cabot

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Downtown Grand Rapids has an eclectic selection of specialty stores. Shoppers might want to take a peek inside Modern Day Floral and Gift Boutique, 1245 Ottawa NW, (616) 454-IRIS or www.moderndayfloral.com, with its French green walls and sophisticated collection or Little Bohemia at 40 Monroe Center, (616) 454-2323 or www.littlebohemiaonline.com, whose global and eclectic items include beads, jewelry, fancy footwear, clothing and home accents.

Travelers should check out Groskopfs Luggage, 112 Monroe Center NW, (616) 451-2846 or www.groskopfsluggage.com, a fourth-generation family-owned business that first opened in 1881 and carries not only luggage but also desk accessories, globes, jewel boxes, weather instruments and other unique objects.

Travelers should check out Groskopfs Luggage, 112 Monroe Center NW, (616) 451-2846 or www.groskopfsluggage.com, a fourth-generation family-owned business that first opened in 1881 and carries not only luggage but also desk accessories, globes, jewel boxes, weather instruments and other unique objects.

Hey! She forgot umbrellas!!!

[see my Festival thread in the Coffeehouse]

• 2 months later...

Honestly, I missed this bit when you originally posted it. I think its great that Grand Rapids is on the forefront of green design, specifically in regards to building. There are a number of projects just finished/finishing up that are LEED certified in the area and I think the efforts are only going to increase in the upcoming years

Here's a bit for the rest of us:

The Green “LEEDer”

One city trumps all others that claim to be the most sustainable.

Can you guess which U.S. city is the “greenest”—that is, has the most buildings certified by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) with ratings from the U.S. Green Building Council for energy efficiency, superior indoor air quality, and reduced greenhouse gas emissions? Chicago is a front-runner, with more than 100 green buildings, including United’s new downtown headquarters. Pittsburgh claims to have more square feet of green buildings than any other U.S. city. Portland, Oregon, has planned an entirely green district. But it’s Grand Rapids, Michigan, that has more LEED-rated buildings per capita than any other city.

That is a nice graphic. While Michigan as a whole isn't the absolute leader (who can beat CA with so much population?), it definitely shows we're making a good effort. I think it's particularly important that we conserve energy in this state as we'll be hit pretty hard with higher energy costs since heating your home is not an optional expense.

Back to the issue of the Hemispheres article not getting a lot of response, I think it had already been mentioned on UP somewhere. Plus, it seemed more like a rehash of things we've already heard and more of a "press release" article.

It's still great to get some more exposure. We need some meat to go along with the presentation. :thumbsup:

I really hate words like "greenest". I'll guarantee you, we are not the greenest city around. Not by a long shot.

The article is a bit misleading. I'm glad they clarified and added "per capita" at the end of the paragraph. We don't have the most LEED certified projects. Portland OR and several other cities have more then we do.

Rick Fedrizzi the head of the US Green Building Council was here in GR for a USGBC meeting awhile back. He made a comment that he loved to hear all the cities around the US touting Most LEED buildings per capita or LEED Buildings per this or that, Greenest City or what ever greenest or most LEED'iest monikers they could come up with. Frankly to me it all sounds like a bunch of chest thumping and takes the focus away from what we are really trying to accomplish with sustainability.

Here, here!

Well said. This is going to be a very big topic in the coming years, and it really has me worried about the future of the movement. Green is turning into the new fat-free, and if it keeps going in that direction, I fear a mainstream backlash.

there is a great article in this issue of FAST COMPANY laying out some pretty big arguments why LEED is becoming simply a money making industry itself. One example they use is a developer putting a cheap bike rack out in front of a building earns the same point value as something as important as window technology. It balances the article by stating alot of people inside the LEED movement are starting to see they need a "weighting value" for things such as these.

Archived