Underrated Dense City Cores

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start this off with a couple of Southern cities, Houston & Richmond. Houston gets a lot of bad press for being sprawlly, having no zoning, but it still has a very large dense core, mixed with historic and modern towers. I don't know why Richmond gets overlooked, but its core is just as old school and impressive as any city that boomed in the late 19th - early 20th century era.

Houston

hr1220888-5.jpg

205_229073_229073-R1-30A.jpg205_229073_229073-R1-8A.jpg

(Houston pics by Southend Tex)

Richmond

014skyline3.jpg

(from www.richmondcitywatch.com)

Guest donaltopablo

Atlanta does get some unfair criticism, since some areas of DT/Midtown as you mentioned are very dense and urban. But it's still not on par with a lot of other "true" urban cities Atlanta often is compared to. It's moving along, but not there.

I can tell you that the number of visible surface level parking lots in Midtown and around olympic park DT had dropped considerably and Midtown has been increasingly dense.

DT hotel/business district along peachtree is pretty dense, but lacks a dense feel because of lack of residential and ground level retail.

But to me, the important thing is it is improving, by leaps and bounds in some cases.

Maybe its just becuase I'm from a small town, but when I go to Downtown Atlanta it feels dense to me :)

Maybe not in term of residents, but in terms of alot of midrise and highrise buildings... much more so than in Spartanburg or Columbia.

Archived