Why does Charlotte architecture "stink" so bad?

atlrvr

SwampFox, I think you hit the definition of architecture right on... "it's thinking out of the box"... that is the definition of good architecture. Creativness, originality, adaptability (with the area, etc); all qualities of good architecture.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good architecture makes you want to stop and look at it for a moment....perhaps take a picture....I'd argue there are less than 10 buildings that aren't highrises that qualify.

Architecture should be both artistic, yet functional, but most importantly building are permanent (unlike most visual art) so they should fit into the context of their surrounding.

Good architecture makes you want to stop and look at it for a moment....perhaps take a picture....I'd argue there are less than 10 buildings that aren't highrises that qualify.

Architecture should be both artistic, yet functional, but most importantly building are permanent (unlike most visual art) so they should fit into the context of their surrounding.

Possibly yes.....While I never really decided if I liked 4FU, it very likely was the context....the building would probably have been an excellent addition to Dubai.

There can be great progressive architecture that makes you notice it, yet "works" at that site, even if surrounded by non similar buildings. It's usually subtle touches that refernce the surrounding buildings that makes a great building.

Let's throw out a few to see what you think? I have personal opinions on these but I'm not going to get upset if anybody feels one way or the other.

Central 27-The big yellow on Central Avenue

Greene Residence-417 McDonald Avenue in Dilworth

Celadon in Wesley Heights

Lofts 34

Steelhaus

I'm new to this blog so forgive me if these projects have already been discussed.

Let's throw out a few to see what you think? I have personal opinions on these but I'm not going to get upset if anybody feels one way or the other.

Central 27-The big yellow on Central Avenue

Greene Residence-417 McDonald Avenue in Dilworth

Celadon in Wesley Heights

Lofts 34

Steelhaus

I'm new to this blog so forgive me if these projects have already been discussed.

I'll go for it...

Central 27 -- really hate to say it but this to me is bad. it isn't selling well either. the reasons aren't just the look, but the colors, the lack of windows in the unit other than the mini ones for end units and the big garage door front. i was really excited about this when it was announced.

Celadon -- love it. context in the trees, design, i think it will age well

Lofts 34 -- so-so. nothing spectacular, nothing bad. worked well with a small site and kudos on the retail spaces

Steelhaus -- hmmmm...out of context. weird site, but weird design. somewhere else i think i would like it much much more.

Archived