• 1 month later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NN planners discuss rezoning for new Wal-Mart

BY FRED CARROLL

247-4756

June 1, 2005, 5:39 PM EDT

NEWPORT NEWS -- The Newport News Planning Commission is scheduled to consider a rezoning request today that would allow Wal-Mart to open a store on Hampton Roads Center Parkway.

The Planning Commission makes recommendations to the City Council, which ultimately will decide whether to rezone the property. The council is scheduled to vote during a June 28 meeting.

City planners said the commission might delay making its recommendation until a later meeting.....Full Story

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not that it is ground-breaking retail, but Panera Bread is opening there second NN location at CNU Village, the mixed-use development at Christopher Newport. Ben and Jerrys is also going there as well as Bottoms Up pizza. Several establishments have already opened including my brother's place, Schonners Grill.

Not that it is ground-breaking retail, but Panera Bread is opening there second NN location at CNU Village, the mixed-use development at Christopher Newport. Ben and Jerrys is also going there as well as Bottoms Up pizza. Several establishments have already opened including my brother's place, Schonners Grill.

Panera Bread!? that's awesome! I have only been to one in Michigan, but i liken it to a Starbucks that serves delicious soup and sandwiches. MacArthur Center needs a Panera. :shades:

Panera Bread, if I am not mistaken is part of the Starbucks company...If you look at their store at Jefferson Commons, they are connected to Starbucks, the store layout is similar, and the style of the menus and interior are also similar

Wow I didn't know that, but it sure makes sense. No wonder they seem similar to me! :lol:

I believe that Panera also offers Wi-Fi at many of its locations, which is sure a plus.

Panera Bread, if I am not mistaken is part of the Starbucks company...If you look at their store at Jefferson Commons, they are connected to Starbucks, the store layout is similar, and the style of the menus and interior are also similar

As far as I can see, Panera Bread is its own individually traded company. I don't even see evidence of a single investor having large stakes in both Panera and Starbucks. There may be a business venture like Barnes & Noble with Starbucks coffee and Borders with Seattle's Best, which is owned by Starbucks.

BJ's breaks ground in Hampton Power Plant

The city has spent more than $24 million helping develop the 107-acre Power Plant site that has faced criticism for not matching expectations but has generated momentum of late.

Nothing to get excited about but at least that project is showing signs of picking up steam. Hopefully when it's connected to the Peninsula Town Center via that pedestrian bridge it'll take things up a notch.

It is still disappointing considering the Power Plant was supposed to be strictly entertainment, food and higher end retail; not a BJs. I guess it is better than Kmart

Last I checked the project did just that, and is doing very well. Do you come out to the night clubs there? Eat at the great restaraunts there? Stroll the boardwalk after getting a nice cold ice cream cone from coldstone? You can't get all of your information from newspapers or biast people. Come check the place out. There is no possible way that the whole are there could have been completely nothing but the power plant itself. That whole area is huge. The main power plant is just the area on the lake beside Bass Pro Shops ( A place that always is full) the rest is just retail infill. By the way, higher end retail was never an idea. This was to be nothing more than an entertainment spot. Which it has done very well. Clubs are packed on the weekend as well are restaraunts. However, my only gripe is that we didn't get a espnzone. Now that would have put the cherry on top.

You're right about Power Plant, but I see where Babiko is going. Many people expected a far cry from what it is today. The development, while moderately successful for what it does offer, is in no way in a similar league to the Power Plant of Baltimore. I don't blame Hampton necessarily for that- I'd probably say it's the Cordish Company's inability to do their job and attract the right kind of tenants. The truth is this: the Power Plant development, as it stands, is nowhere close to being the kind of entertainment nucleus that was touted before it was built. That says, I think Hampton has done a fine job with the cards they've been dealt, but I would be surprised if there weren't a few glum faces regarding the progress of the project.

I'd sooner put my money on something like Peninsula Town Center than Power Plant at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

The Melting Pot of Newport News is under construction and scheduled to open in the Jefferson Green Shopping Center across from Patrick Henry Mall during the second quarter of 2006. The dinner-only fondue restaurant is locally owned and operated by Jason Harding and Andrew Holder.

Encompassing more than 4,800 square feet with seating for 180, the restaurant offers the four-course dining experience that is the trademark of The Melting Pot Restaurants Inc., a company that has more than 90 restaurants nationwide with 30 locations under development. Company headquarters are in Tampa, Fla.

• 1 year later...

Pasta with Panache - City Center scores a coup with Ceriello's Fine Foods

If you are up at City Center, be sure to stop by Ceriello's -- superior selection of Italian groceries, and great paninis, as well as a decent choices in Italian take out. Stocks San Pelligrino's Chinotto soft drinks -- think Italian Dr. Pepper -- as well as the standard Aranciata and Limonetto. Warning for the faint of heart -- it ain't cheap, but think of John Ruskin's famous quote as you enjoy your frozen lobster ravioli with Ceriello's bottled vodka sauce. No one will believe you didn't make it from scratch. (well, maybe your friends that really know you won't :rolleyes: )

Then, you can stroll around to the CC lake and try the gelato place -- biggest selection of gelato "giusti" in HR, and outstanding quality. If they have them the day you are there, try the "frutti de bosco" and "limone" combination -- a summertime spectacular.

Archived