Houston, Still Live and Kicking

turlough

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, several hotels have been recently completed or are about to be. 1000 Main and Calpine Center are done for the most part (both 30+ story towers) and the proposal at this site is pretty interesting...http://www.jimarp.com/img/eastside.jpg

Toyota Center (new basketball arena) is opening later this month and additions to the GRB Convention Center will be done by November (including 30+ story Hilton Hotel).

GO HOUSTON!

Guest donaltopablo

Being a car lover, I think it's cool that it's going to be named the Toyota center.

As for being named for the only non-local company, do you mean only center named after a company that doesn't have a significant presence in that city?

Guest donaltopablo

Because First Union (Wachovia) has an arena in Philly and Phillips Arena in Atlanta are both two I can think of where the company isn't HQ in the city, but both companies have major operations in those respective cities.

Well being an Asian company, and Houston having a highly popular Asian player, the name was bound to come around. Toyota has a large presence in TEXAS, not necessarily Houston. (Remember, Houston was rejected by Toyota for the plant, they chose San Antonio) I think having an international company have the naming rights tells you something about our city and our culture. Its great, even if it is named after a car.

Guest donaltopablo

I'm sure there are some, I may have even seen them before. But what/are there any developments already underway/planned that will take advantage of Houston's soon to be light rail system? This is when I really noticed mass transit systems paying off and changing the lifestyle of the city when the developments built specifically around the transit systems come to form.

Well, alot of the downtown development was due to the rail. 1000 Main, a recently completed tower, chose Main st. specifically because of the rail line. Now the street in front of that tower will become the METRORail Super station, a pedestrian-only plaza with fountains and such. Also, once the new downtown arena opens for shows, games; realators (excuse my spelling haha) will realize the potential in downtown. Almost all of east downtown, including the new Hilton, expanded convention center, ballpark and arena, is abandonded buildings and surface lots. Can you say potential? A a crap load of it at that. In 10 years, that entire area will be redefined.

Archived