What was that tiny radio station?

The R&B radio station thread reminded me of this mystery. When I moved to GR in 1982, I found a kicky little (and I do mean "little") radio station somewhere in the 88's or 89's on the FM dial. They seemed to have a broadcasting diameter of a mile, and they were located on Cherry Street in East Hills or Cherry Hill. One of the programmers had a mysterious one-word handle and played scratchy original Broadway cast recordings he borrowed from the downtown library...his programming slot was Monday, Wednesday, and I think Friday mornings.

Another programmer had a show called "Wise Women" playing the latest in lesbian stand-up comedy records and live interviews with midwives, crystals-readers, etc.

This is not a quiz; I'm truly interested: What were the call letters of this station? Anyone remember?

And I'll consider you Fabulous if you can tell me the name of that programmer who loved Broadway cast recordings!

~~~Zenstyle, in a nostalgic mood.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lowest station on the dial I can pickup is WYCE 88.1 FM. Its based in the Library located just of the intersection of Bridge St. and Walker Ave. Though its transmitter is located elsewhere and has a range of about 15 to 20 miles.

The lowest station on the dial I can pickup is WYCE 88.1 FM. Its based in the Library located just of the intersection of Bridge St. and Walker Ave. Though its transmitter is located elsewhere and has a range of about 15 to 20 miles.

Archived