Nyberg Developments in Asylum Hill

asylumhill

I heard through the grapevine that David Nyberg's company College Street LLC has purchased the Hartford Gardens apartment buildings on Farmington Ave and Imlay Street near the CT Culinary Center. It looks as though some of them are now getting a facelift. Does anyone have any insight on Nyberg's plans for expanding west of downtown? I've found nothing in the media on this purchase.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the cross-posting, I accidentally put this in the CT forum instead of Hartford.

Does anyone have any insight into David Nyberg's plans for the properties he bought in Asylum Hill? He purchased the Hartford Gardens package which is several buildings on Farmington Ave and Imlay St., including the pretty yellow/white one next to the Family Dollar. I see some of them are being renovated but I can't find anything in the media regarding his plans. As far as I know these are the first properties outside of downtown that he has gotten involved with.

I heard through the grapevine that David Nyberg's company College Street LLC has purchased the Hartford Gardens apartment buildings on Farmington Ave and Imlay Street near the CT Culinary Center. It looks as though some of them are now getting a facelift. Does anyone have any insight on Nyberg's plans for expanding west of downtown? I've found nothing in the media on this purchase.

Sorry for the cross-posting, I accidentally put this in the CT forum instead of Hartford.

Does anyone have any insight into David Nyberg's plans for the properties he bought in Asylum Hill? He purchased the Hartford Gardens package which is several buildings on Farmington Ave and Imlay St., including the pretty yellow/white one next to the Family Dollar. I see some of them are being renovated but I can't find anything in the media regarding his plans. As far as I know these are the first properties outside of downtown that he has gotten involved with.

• 5 months later...

I used to live in the building next to the old Arthur's and if restored it could be beautiful again. There are working fireplaces in many of the units and nice wood floors. Hartford Gardens did some work on all the buildings and they certainly look a lot better than they did when Aetna owned them. There was more housing in that area once. My mom lived in a building that used to be on what is now a parking lot for a number of arts groups that occupy a building that Aetna used to house people in. Both the Laurels where I also lived at one time before it was converted and the Whiloughbey (sp?) condos were rehabed in the 80s and were beautiful but now many of the units are owned by investors and their tenants are not necessarily as interested in keeping the properties in good shape. A face lift to the area that attracts a different kind of tenant would be very positive. To me the crys of gentrification a invalid, taking back an area that was nice not so long ago is good for the city. Perhaps they could do a mix of prices, market level and more affordable so less people will be displaced.

I have know someone who lived in Hartford Gardens, they forced out for renovations. I actually live in that area, it is highly transient, I wouldn't call it gentrification to raise the rent, there is no real community to push out. Though you are getting rid of the last really inexpensive rentals in the city. I think there are still plenty affordable in Hartford.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

progress is being had.

some of the problems have been worked out with the city, and some of the Asylum hill projects will be moving forward.

apparently the dude actually tore down historic garages. that may not sound like much, but I assure you its very bad.

I am sure he will be paying some kinds of fines, and some kind of restitution will take place.

also Nyberg has applied for a new parking lot in a residential area as I am guessing some kind of shared parking structure for his conversions.

I don't understand why he would risk his reputation by doing the work without the proper permits. Maybe it was an oversight, but this is a guy who got his start in New Haven and should really know how to deal with city governments and historic structures. It's just bizzare, but it's good that he's continuing to invest. Hopefully he has learned a lesson and will only be in the news for positive reasons in the future.

I don't understand why he would risk his reputation by doing the work without the proper permits. Maybe it was an oversight, but this is a guy who got his start in New Haven and should really know how to deal with city governments and historic structures. It's just bizzare, but it's good that he's continuing to invest. Hopefully he has learned a lesson and will only be in the news for positive reasons in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where this falls in the greater scheme of things, but I wanted to post it

http://www.varenhorst.com/projects/206farmington.html

Renovation of an existing Italian Renaissance style brick apartment building constructed in the 1920s. Eligible for National Register of Historic Places listing, the Ambassador Apartment building is being redesigned to accommodate 89 new one- and two-bedroom residences. The design strikes a balance between maintaining original historic details within the 120,000 square foot building, preserving the building's recognized exterior, and creating residences with contemporary space planning and amenities.

Not sure where this falls in the greater scheme of things, but I wanted to post it

http://www.varenhorst.com/projects/206farmington.html

Renovation of an existing Italian Renaissance style brick apartment building constructed in the 1920s. Eligible for National Register of Historic Places listing, the Ambassador Apartment building is being redesigned to accommodate 89 new one- and two-bedroom residences. The design strikes a balance between maintaining original historic details within the 120,000 square foot building, preserving the building's recognized exterior, and creating residences with contemporary space planning and amenities.

I know, thats where I got the info from.

but the fact that Imlat leads away from farmington, and this project etc, there is definately some room for gentrification.

The key piece would be for Aetna to encourage workers to move into these spaces.

or for these to be successful I guess, and for Nyberg or someone else to expand from this anchor of density.

I think what we are seeing is great. The key will be to make the building upscale enough to attract more affluent people and charge them appropriate market rate rents. As MadVlad said, the inside was a hole before, the same can be said of so many buildings in Hartford. They all need to be tackled one at a time, renovated, and then appropriate rents charged. Keep doing it until gentrification spreads to the entire city. The rents are extremely low now, and that is why pretty much anybody can live in these neighborhoods.

I guess this should be posted in this thread. it is an old article, but it is actually a good article and gives you a solid description of the plans

07/15/2007

http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/documen...rant_071507.asp

htfd_courant_071507.jpg

His latest plan is to take the roughly 250 apartments he's just bought on Imlay Street, Niles Street and Farmington Avenue - including the complex known as the Hartford Gardens - and remake them with new electrical and water systems, new landscaping and increased security. The renovations have already begun.

12 million to buy and over 12 million to fix up.

Nyberg kind of rocks.

With 55Park, The metropolitan, and the AA building he is developing quite a portfolio.

I am assuming that if the AA building gets its additional COs, and these buildings do reasonably well he will buy additional propertys next doo to further expand his scope.

Still I lament the metropolitan for its lack of success. but damn good of him to try

• 6 months later...

Archived