16 Year Old Marriage

dgreco

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish my daughter would come to me wanting to get married at 16, let alone to a grown-ass man. The parents lost for giving in. They had the power NOT to sign the consent form but because they got scared, they signed it anyway; what's the worst she could have done, run away screaming "I hate you and I'm never speaking to you again"? First loss goes to the parents. The coach & 16-year old lost for wanting to get married, what do they see in each other :dontknow: I hope he enjoys his fresh meat because that's all she is to him, is a piece of meat. I'd also ask him one question: Which body of water does he want to be found in, the MS River or Lake Ponchartrain? Unless he wants to see tomorrow, I would suggest he comes nowhere near my daughter.

This has been a big controversy here in NC. Her parents 'claimed' they did everything they could to stop them but that the 40 year old man had all the power. Even the police said there was no crime commited here.

I don't want to lay too much blame on the parents, but they should have been much more involved with her life and this may have been prevented.

This has been a big controversy here in NC. Her parents 'claimed' they did everything they could to stop them but that the 40 year old man had all the power. Even the police said there was no crime commited here.

I don't want to lay too much blame on the parents, but they should have been much more involved with her life and this may have been prevented.

Her dad needs to grow up and get a back bone! I can't believe that we are even talking about this. There is no way that her parents should permit her to act like that. More so, where is her dad? He should be protecting her from scum like this!

If it where my kid and she said that she would not talk to me any more, I would say fine! If the guy came around we would walk out behind the house and I would inform him that there is a lot of land back there... and no one would ever hear him scream. I would then suggest that he leave the property and not return... ever.

But then again, I am an old fashioned, conservative, RNA gun owning, hunting, blue blooded, white collar, sports watching guy who thinks that as long as my kids are under the age of 18, they are not adults, they will live under my roof, and if they don't like my rules than that is too bad. They could appeal to their mother, but she is stricter than I am.

It's a private family matter.

While it might be a big deal to some people, and I too think this is a relationship that will come to no good, it's really nobody else's business as long as no laws are being broken. In the same token, nothing good comes from telling other people how to live their lives. In the United States, a 16 year old is allowed to get married so really the issue here is the age difference between the two. I think the two, especially the 40 year old, along with the parents are demonstrating really bad judgement, but it's folly for the rest of us to get worked up about it.

I personally think it's bonkers to get married before 30, so yes, I think this is a bad situation. The parents really should have made her take a step back and look at this instead of just giving in.

However, despite having said that, I do agree that it's a private family matter and that what we say shouldn't necessarily have any bearing on how the family runs their business.

It's a private family matter.

While it might be a big deal to some people, and I too think this is a relationship that will come to no good, it's really nobody else's business as long as no laws are being broken. In the same token, nothing good comes from telling other people how to live their lives. In the United States, a 16 year old is allowed to get married so really the issue here is the age difference between the two. I think the two, especially the 40 year old, along with the parents are demonstrating really bad judgement, but it's folly for the rest of us to get worked up about it.

if no laws were broken who cares? the guy she married is probably really messed up thinking he can find love in a 16 year old. she's not fully developed yet (at least not mentally and emotionally). it'll either end up in divorce or she'll be so screwed up mentally that she'll stay with him and he'll always have his wife that's 24 years younger. she's basically his trophy wife, but i'm sure his buddies that he goes out for drinks with are having a laugh that his wife can't legally drink for another 5 years. heck, i was ridiculed for dating someone 4 years younger (the key here is the past tense of dated).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived