Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tSlater

Chicago Spire

54 posts in this topic

Just wondering, what's the status on this project? Last I remember hearing, it was slightly redesigned to be not as pointy but still 2000 feet, and that it was approved by the city. Is there any projected date as to when construction will begin?

It now called the "Chicago Spire". Last time I heard, the project changed owners, the design revised, and got the green light from the city to be built.

Wikipedia Article

Just wondering, what's the status on this project? Last I remember hearing, it was slightly redesigned to be not as pointy but still 2000 feet, and that it was approved by the city. Is there any projected date as to when construction will begin?

Correct, this is an all condo building from what I understand.

The Tribune says the penthouse will be going for $40M. Yow! I pass what I believe is the site on my way home on the bus. There is equipment there and big pile of rocks/dirt. I will try and get a photo

OK, here is the site, from all I can gather. North of the River, next to LSD, across from Navy Pier. Equipment on site, rock and huge (excuse the layman's terms) pipes(?!).1465524968_198c8d2548.jpg

And a closer look

1465524954_6792a5e6f5.jpg

glad to see this under way. It's been a long time coming. Anyone know what the projected completion date is? I'd imagine we will watch this go up for a few years.

The date I have read is 2011 for completion. I just want to see it going vertical, beyond a "point of no return".

Wow, Da Achiever, great shot and great spot to watch the construction...Here is ground eye view of the same place...hey, I see you up there with your camera

1510559846_bbafc629f6.jpg:rolleyes:

Thank you, but unfortunately that wasn't me who took those photos. I got them from a user off of another site that primarily pertains to Chicago development. I wish I was there in person to take update photos though!

Updated Rendering:

1190924997spireparkxu1.jpg

Update 10-5-07:

(photo by harryc)

Great rendering! Is that park new? I think it's just a vacant lot right now, right on the river and lakefront (?). Maybe GRGuy can get down there tomorrow and snoop it out for us. The park should have quite a view of Navy Pier and the lake. :)

(I'm really shocked that this thing is actually being built)

Great rendering! Is that park new? I think it's just a vacant lot right now, right on the river and lakefront (?). Maybe GRGuy can get down there tomorrow and snoop it out for us. The park should have quite a view of Navy Pier and the lake. :)

Me too, but my true enthusiasm won't come out in full force until it starts going vertical. ~thinks of Lyon & Ottawa in GR~

1527433729_f25ef9e10e.jpg

The area in question is outlined in red. It is currently just scrub and grass, being used as a staging area and will in the short term be used as a temporary exit from LSD. The rendering is a bit deceiving as it almost appears that the new park will be on Lake Michigan, but it is boxed in by Navy Pier (not shown in the rendering). I don't think this is a bad thing, Navy Pier is great to look at.

This tower being next to a highway will be a really cool effect, I think.

1570100353_33dfd629b8.jpg

OK, my highly scientific, extremely accurate, lifelike rendering of what Chicago may look like in a few years.

1570161177_b416d88e3a.jpg

Shangrai-La site (hotel and condos)

1570100353_33dfd629b8.jpg

OK, my highly scientific, extremely accurate, lifelike rendering of what Chicago may look like in a few years.

1570161177_b416d88e3a.jpg

Shangrai-La site (hotel and condos)

Beautiful! Bellisimo! :)

I haven't seen the Shangrai La. Sounds Vegas-sy. Got a render?

I believe it is also called Waterview Tower, on Wacker Dr. 90 stories, hotel and condos.

I believe it is also called Waterview Tower, on Wacker Dr. 90 stories, hotel and condos.

Wow, beauty! It's so SKINNY!

109234.jpg

OK, back to the subject at hand...the Spire.

Some photos from today

1782509046_033ccc6c17.jpg

Taken from under LSD on a closed sidewalk, overlooking the site and small extension of the river.

1782509056_719c1ca7cf.jpg

Taken from the 14th floor parking deck thru the only slot window with a broken grill. Hah!

1782509092_aa9d42346d.jpg

They have cleaned all the scrub and mess from the future park.

1782509076_dc00fcadc0.jpg

Closer view of the foundation going in. Seems small. Maybe there are more like this coming? Maybe this is something else?

1781681383_5851644c5e.jpg

These lucky guys will be able to tell their kids, "Yup, I built that thing..."

1782509102_944a47aa9e.jpg

Overall site and view toward Lake Michigan

OK, back to the subject at hand...the Spire.

1782509076_dc00fcadc0.jpg

Closer view of the foundation going in. Seems small. Maybe there are more like this coming? Maybe this is something else?

Looking at the site plan, it looks like there is an inner atrium area about the size of that circle of metal retaining walls going in. It looks like the entire tower pushes all the way to the edges of the site footprint.

ChicagoSpire-002.jpg