Chicago Spire

Allison Slater

Looking at the site plan, it looks like there is an inner atrium area about the size of that circle of metal retaining walls going in. It looks like the entire tower pushes all the way to the edges of the site footprint.

ChicagoSpire-002.jpg

From where I was standing, this looks like the elevator core at the top left of your plan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A very interesting article I think everyone should read.

http://enr.ecnext.com/free-scripts/comsite...le=nebuar071205

Pier Pressure May Make Or Break Spire

Chicago's 2,000-ft-tall tower would generate massive loads, and some neighbors are worried

12/05/2007

By Tudor Van Hampton

The Chicago Spire, slated to be the Americas' tallest building at 2,000 ft, probably won't set any world records for height. But if built, it may achieve other firsts: Longest elevator run, tallest all-residential structure, most slender profile. All this would bear on one of the most extreme tall-building bases ever built.

[article continued by link]

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a webcam for this project?

I can't imagine one not being set up for such a large project.

I can't seem to find one on the net...which seems pretty unusual because as you say it's a huge project, and also, there's an abundance of buildings adjacent to the lot that could provide positioning for such a camera.

I really hope some people on this site start posting more construction photos of this project for those of us who don't live in the Chicago area!

I've been taking a bunch from the parking structure of the condo tower across the canal, but it's only a matter of time before security chases me out. I'll try and get some posted later. At this moment, there is a ~40 foot deep, 120' diameter hole where the core will go. They are doing a bunch of work on the perimeters too. They've also gotten pretty far on construction of the ramps to lower LSD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mini update from SSP:

long time reader but this is my first post.

I attended the New York launch two days ago at the Pratt House here in NYC. Calatrava was there as well as Kelleher. Spoke with both of them for a bit, seemed like solid dudes, especially Kelleher.

No pictures, but the highlights:

*Calatrava said they sold around 20 units in less than 2 hours during the Singapore event

*Sales rep said it would probably take at least a year before getting to the fifth floor

*Calatrava drew some incredible sketches which were projected live onto flat panels all over the room

*The foot/bike bridge is still being worked out but was not included in the model

Being a proud Chicagoan living and working in NYC, I was pleasantly surprised by how many people showed up for the event. Based on the solid turn out and the caliber of these people (wealth all over the place) I have no doubt this building gets sold out.

Im really happy to see that the bridge is still on the table. Its one of my favorite aspects of the entire project. And those sales numbers are quite impressive.

• 2 months later...

Mini update from SSP:

Im really happy to see that the bridge is still on the table. Its one of my favorite aspects of the entire project. And those sales numbers are quite impressive.

Today the developer announced that they had sold 30 percent of the units in the building. That is a total of 352 units which is not to shabby. However, I am still saving up the $750,000 for a studio unit so I will have to wait to pre-order. here is a link:

30% of unites sold in Chicago spire

Edited by mgman

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it wasn't here and was elsewhere, but I seem to remember a lot of people complaining that the Chicago Spire is ugly because it does not fit into the Chicago skyline and just isn't right for Chicago.

Well, July in my "American Cities, Past and Present" panormaic calendar features Chicago, and the panorama of Chicago from 1927 instantly reminded me of Chicago Spire. Say if the materials and general style of the spire were more historical, and scaled down to a height fitting for that era, I think it would blend right in. Chicago Spire seems to me to be a revisitation of the former Chicago Skyline, and an element which has become almost lost in the sea of blocky international-style buildings.

5252006Chicago-1927.jpg

(It fits in better towards the northern end, which coincidentally is where the spire is being built!)

Edited by tSlater

• 7 months later...

Looks like this project is dead in the water unless an additional $1.75B in financing comes in. I hate to see this project not go vertical since it was so unique (even for Chicago). Hopefully once this recession is over additional financing will become available and push this project vertical.

NYTimes.com has an article on this project being halted BTW:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/business...pire&st=cse

This project was probably a bit too much, especially for current market conditions. While I hate to see it go, it simply isn't practical and I understand the reason for its demise. Can you imagine firefighters having to climb all of those stairs in the case of an emergency?

• 10 months later...

This project was probably a bit too much, especially for current market conditions. While I hate to see it go, it simply isn't practical and I understand the reason for its demise. Can you imagine firefighters having to climb all of those stairs in the case of an emergency?

Not dead yet!

Garrett Kelleher, developer of the planned 150-story Chicago Spire, has acquired some financing, said his publicist. It's a start, but don't look for cranes right away at his property, 400 N. Lake Shore Drive. Kim Metcalfe, spokeswoman for Kelleher, said the developer has gotten backup financing in the form of bridge loans and a mezzanine loan, which is similar to a second mortgage. She said the financing would kick in if Kelleher can secure about $170 million to restart the project, potentially the tallest building in North America. Metcalfe declined to provide any details of the financing.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/1928670,CST-FIN-roeder09.article