Is Memphis the forgotten city?

SecondStrangeness

Why is Memphis forgotten?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Why is Memphis often (seemingly) forgotten in these polls/rankings?

• Lack of outside promotion by leadership/Chamber of Commerce
    • Lack of Big League Sports keeping it on TV
    • If you didn't live in Memphis would you think of it?
    • Who cares what they think
    • Memphians' self loathing/Memphians not talking up the city when they travel

Came across another list of rankings of cities. This time it was Forbes Magazine's "Best Cities for Young Professionals"

When I found it, I flipped through the slideshow wondering where Memphis was ranked. As I flipped through I saw St Louis (#14) Raleigh, NC (#17) Nashville (#22) New Orleans (#24) Sacramento (#28), Salt Lake City, UT (#30) Greensboro, NC (#31), Norfolk, VA (#34), Kansas City (#37) Indianapolis (#39), and ended with Tampa being #40

No offense, but is Memphis really worse for young professionals than Salt Lake City???

I often wonder if these people even remember to consider Memphis on these lists. I recently saw a poll of "what's your favorite city" with several dozen cities listed in the poll, but no place for Memphis. I really would not be surprised if the people at Forbes magazine completely forgot to even consider Memphis in the rankings. My question is: Why is that?

Is it because we don't promote the city when we travel. When I think of it, even I will say something negative if I am asked about Memphis by another tourist while traveling and I know several others that do the same thing. I am trying to get better with my civic pride though.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say this time and Time again. Memphis's Workforce is NOT educated as well as those cities.

I go to Purdue and im graduating next year with a degree in Structural engineering. The reason Indy is ranked way higher is because its workforce is far more educated. Purdue university, Indiana University and Notre dame university all contribute to its work force.

I see it when i go to indy. The City isn't very fun like Memphis, but as am I look for a job to begin my career there are litterally 10x the job offers in Indy than there are in Memphis for engineers. Nashville was about 4x the job offers. now, also realize that CE's are in demand that theyre having to higher ME's to fill the void.

Came across another list of rankings of cities. This time it was Forbes Magazine's "Best Cities for Young Professionals"

When I found it, I flipped through the slideshow wondering where Memphis was ranked. As I flipped through I saw St Louis (#14) Raleigh, NC (#17) Nashville (#22) New Orleans (#24) Sacramento (#28), Salt Lake City, UT (#30) Greensboro, NC (#31), Norfolk, VA (#34), Kansas City (#37) Indianapolis (#39), and ended with Tampa being #40

No offense, but is Memphis really worse for young professionals than Salt Lake City???

I often wonder if these people even remember to consider Memphis on these lists. I recently saw a poll of "what's your favorite city" with several dozen cities listed in the poll, but no place for Memphis. I really would not be surprised if the people at Forbes magazine completely forgot to even consider Memphis in the rankings. My question is: Why is that?

Is it because we don't promote the city when we travel. When I think of it, even I will say something negative if I am asked about Memphis by another tourist while traveling and I know several others that do the same thing. I am trying to get better with my civic pride though.

I do find an unhealthy level of self-loathing attitude in Memphis. There does not appear to be enough boosterism within the resident population. There are of course many areas Memphis can improve upon, but that doesn't mean that we can't be proud to be here. Nor does it mean that I'm saying we can't criticize the areas that Memphis is deficient in. But most people criticize the city to score status points, rather than to provide constructive solutions. They always mention in a haughty way, "well, I've been to X, Y, and Z, and you probably have never been outside the city limits." The reality is, many people who love the city have lived across the country, across the world, and find something very unique and special in Memphis. Believe me, as someone who wants Memphis to pursue it's world-class potential, I realize, the only way to do that is to always improve, and there's no way to improve if you don't pinpoint areas of weakness and look for realistic solutions. But I seldom hear a criticism that includes an interest in repairing the weakness.

The bottom line is to expose and publicize the strengths, and improve upon the weaknesses. I in no way imply there are no weaknesses.

I do find an unhealthy level of self-loathing attitude in Memphis. There does not appear to be enough boosterism within the resident population. There are of course many areas Memphis can improve upon, but that doesn't mean that we can't be proud to be here. Nor does it mean that I'm saying we can't criticize the areas that Memphis is deficient in. But most people criticize the city to score status points, rather than to provide constructive solutions. They always mention in a haughty way, "well, I've been to X, Y, and Z, and you probably have never been outside the city limits." The reality is, many people who love the city have lived across the country, across the world, and find something very unique and special in Memphis. Believe me, as someone who wants Memphis to pursue it's world-class potential, I realize, the only way to do that is to always improve, and there's no way to improve if you don't pinpoint areas of weakness and look for realistic solutions. But I seldom hear a criticism that includes an interest in repairing the weakness.

The bottom line is to expose and publicize the strengths, and improve upon the weaknesses. I in no way imply there are no weaknesses.

In over fifteen years of actually living in the Memphis MSA, I dare say that the vast majority of people I encountered were actually in fact, from the MSA, and DID NOT TRAVEL outside the region very often AT ALL, or even lived anywhere outside the REGION....that's my experience ! If that were true, there would be more positive growth influence and greater demand for 'excellence' in many many things ! Exposure teaches, homogenous thought cripples.

When locals travel outside of Memphis, the only place they seem to know is friggen "Destin Florida" (which is not really 'Florida' at all).......plus, they go to the same place EVERY YEAR....how smart and broad is that ? (hey, how about visiting Chicago, NYC, or Montreal ?...er, just ONE year, say, out of FIVE ?)

I never viewed my role in ANY city that I lived in as one of 'official greeter', or local 'cheerleader' , promoter or booster....that seems awfully silly...unless of course that's actually one's job, or you have extensive real estate holdings that are salable in a specific MSA......at any rate, it's certainly not my role on any web-based forum.

En masse, I have to say that Memphis is the most undereducated, stratified, and repressive city that I've lived in.....with a population that appears to be oblivious, ergo indifferent to divergent thought in re 'progress' and growth 'between the ears'.

I confess that I don't know much about Memphis, but I've been there numerous times. It has some very attractive areas. It also has a lot of potential as a unique, large American city. However, reading this board and some of the other things that have been posted on the Web, I must say that I think Memphis suffers from a deficit of leadership (both public and private). Having said that, I ask the Memphis posters here: Who are the big civic boosters of the city (both private and government)? Is there significant cooperation b/n city and business on matters like education, arts, business, etc.? Is the mayor pro-business? Does the city/county government have a reputation of good-ethics (I can tell you that this has hurt many cities)? Just a few random questions.

I'm a native Memphian and I have been to almost every major city in the country. Memphis is very unique. The people of this town who criticize the most are mainly people who aren't satisfied with their current situation and want something or someone to blame. Can't find a job in Memphis? Go back to school or learn a trade because I've never had a problem finding good paying professional positions! The public schools are awful? Mentor a child and stop voting the same idiots into office for decades at a time! Are there better cities to live in? Sure, but that is extremely subjective.

Comparing Memphis, TN to the life in Atlanta, GA seems silly on its face.

I too lived in Atlanta, for about six years (who hasn't in business). Atlanta is light years ahead of Memphis, TN.

in re The 'mecca to Destin' :

The folks visiting Destin, every friggen summer are 99% WHITE......these 'good ole white folks' aren't the ones visitng Chicago, or NYC or Montreal, they're the big dummies going to the same place (Destin) every year !! That's the point.

BTW, I certainly know Harold Ford, Sr....he's smart enough to live on the beach too....he has a place right down here on Fisher Island....want his number ?....and his family has had a place right down the road from me in Naples, for years. I can't blame him for that....heck I'm out of Memphis too !

ON THE BEACH

I'm a native Memphian and I have been to almost every major city in the country. Memphis is very unique. The people of this town who criticize the most are mainly people who aren't satisfied with their current situation and want something or someone to blame. Can't find a job in Memphis? Go back to school or learn a trade because I've never had a problem finding good paying professional positions! The public schools are awful? Mentor a child and stop voting the same idiots into office for decades at a time! Are there better cities to live in? Sure, but that is extremely subjective.

Parochial and typically simplistic Memphis psychology, but each has an opinion.

Better cities to live in is SUBJECTIVE ??? Hardly....'better' can certainly be objectively 'quantified' and scientifically measured.

I suppose your own statement buttresses the notion that many in Memphis are not very 'objective' or even rational ?

ON THE BEACH

I confess that I don't know much about Memphis, but I've been there numerous times. It has some very attractive areas. It also has a lot of potential as a unique, large American city. However, reading this board and some of the other things that have been posted on the Web, I must say that I think Memphis suffers from a deficit of leadership (both public and private). Having said that, I ask the Memphis posters here: Who are the big civic boosters of the city (both private and government)? Is there significant cooperation b/n city and business on matters like education, arts, business, etc.? Is the mayor pro-business? Does the city/county government have a reputation of good-ethics (I can tell you that this has hurt many cities)? Just a few random questions.

Parochial and typically simplistic Memphis psychology, but each has an opinion.

Better cities to live in is SUBJECTIVE ??? Hardly....'better' can certainly be objectively 'quantified' and scientifically measured.

I suppose your own statement buttresses the notion that many in Memphis are not very 'objective' or even rational ?

ON THE BEACH

hmmm....I spent several years in Memphis, living in Germantown....banking business...and hiring manager. I would not advise too many young pros to waste too much time in Memphis. There are too many better options, and better places to live.

I found much of the work force lacking in basic communication skills...and I'm not talking about just a bunch of minorities, I'm talking about god ole boys and gals getting degrees from the Univ of Memphis, and surrounding colleges..

Plainly put, Memphis is behind the curve....in many many educational, economic, and socio-cultural respects.

Comparing Memphis, TN to the life in Atlanta, GA seems silly on its face.

I too lived in Atlanta, for about six years (who hasn't in business). Atlanta is light years ahead of Memphis, TN.

in re The 'mecca to Destin' :

The folks visiting Destin, every friggen summer are 99% WHITE......these 'good ole white folks' aren't the ones visitng Chicago, or NYC or Montreal, they're the big dummies going to the same place (Destin) every year !! That's the point.

BTW, I certainly know Harold Ford, Sr....he's smart enough to live on the beach too....he has a place right down here on Fisher Island....want his number ?....and his family has had a place right down the road from me in Naples, for years. I can't blame him for that....heck I'm out of Memphis too !

ON THE BEACH

I have noticed that others that left Memphis also left bitter and speak the way that shekelmeisterMan does. I know people who left Memphis are having grown up here and speak very ill about the place the entire time they visit and get on everyone's nerves (hint to someone)

I haven't put my finger on why it is, but whatever the case, people just have to realize Memphis is what it is and that it is not NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles or Miami.

Some people just happen to like a slow pace.

Some people like wide streets and plenty of parking. (Memphis is a good place for large families)

Some people do NOT like New York City style crowds on the streets

Some people (especially family people) do NOT like to go club hopping til 2:00AM on a Wednesday

Some people actually like to spend time at home with their families at dinner time

What Memphians like about Memphis is that it is home. We are insular (and at times even a little misanthropic) and that means that we love to be with those we know and love. We love to watch the game with family and close friends at someone's home and not at the bar. We love to get together over some good food and good music with those same people. NYC in contrast is a place where people like to go to meet new people. We aren't very interested in meeting new people. Perhaps that is why some leave so bitter, but there is nothing wrong with the way Memphians are.

Bottom line. A lot of things mentioned on the lists are subjective

I have noticed that others that left Memphis also left bitter and speak the way that shekelmeisterMan does. I know people who left Memphis are having grown up here and speak very ill about the place the entire time they visit and get on everyone's nerves (hint to someone)

I haven't put my finger on why it is, but whatever the case, people just have to realize Memphis is what it is and that it is not NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles or Miami.

Some people just happen to like a slow pace.

Some people like wide streets and plenty of parking. (Memphis is a good place for large families)

Some people do NOT like New York City style crowds on the streets

Some people (especially family people) do NOT like to go club hopping til 2:00AM on a Wednesday

Some people actually like to spend time at home with their families at dinner time

What Memphians like about Memphis is that it is home. We are insular (and at times even a little misanthropic) and that means that we love to be with those we know and love. We love to watch the game with family and close friends at someone's home and not at the bar. We love to get together over some good food and good music with those same people. NYC in contrast is a place where people like to go to meet new people. We aren't very interested in meeting new people. Perhaps that is why some leave so bitter, but there is nothing wrong with the way Memphians are.

Bottom line. A lot of things mentioned on the lists are subjective

I dunno. I'm moving to Boston in the fall, and I will go away with nothing but love for this place. I love the grit and glamour of Memphhis and everything that comes with it. However, I think Memphis is anything but "slow". I prefer..."relaxed" haha. I mean, how can you not love a place where you can grab cheesecake from the Cheesecake Corner late at night before going to party on Beale Street until 4AM? Memphis has so much to offer, and I think people realize that. You just have some people who leave who just won't open their eyes and actually experience and try to know the city.

Did somebody from Memphis kick you in the butt, because it sounds like you dislike the city uncontrollably.

Well anyway, this 'good ole boy' here will just take his 4.0 gpa and go to the U of M, or Christian Brothers and get an engineering degree. Then a couple of years later look back at the Memphis skyline with its Ritz-Carlton and say,"yeah, I built that". Go to the Atlanta forum and go give your so called 'constuctive criticism' there.

Archived