Is Memphis the forgotten city?

SecondStrangeness

Why is Memphis forgotten?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Why is Memphis often (seemingly) forgotten in these polls/rankings?

• Lack of outside promotion by leadership/Chamber of Commerce
    • Lack of Big League Sports keeping it on TV
    • If you didn't live in Memphis would you think of it?
    • Who cares what they think
    • Memphians' self loathing/Memphians not talking up the city when they travel

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are correct with a lot of your statements. My main was that when population shifts and people start moving back to midtown and downtown businesses will follow. I am not one to count out that one beale could start a new trent of condo towers downtown. This is probably unlikely, but it is still possible. If this were to happen, it is only logical to think that businesses will follow the trend because people will want to follow the trend.

As for memphis being a forgotten city, I am not sure that I think it is forgotten. The only reason I feel that this subject has been brought up is because of the failure of the city to attract young proffesionals. Our leaders are not progressive. Willie doesn't give a crap about cleaning up the crime in the city. He is to consumed with spreading his seed and tending to his ego. Due to this, people graduating from college don't talk about going to memphis to try to find a job, they go to birmingham, nashville, charlotte, raleigh, etc. This is not to say that the city is not fun because I think it is, it is just geared more for an older crowd. There are some great parts of the city and there are some very intelligent folks that are really trying to push memphis past its present image, but as long as the people running our city are too interested in their self-image and crying racism when something is against their views, we will never fully reach our potential.

That is a question that can be asked. Does anyone on this forum feel our city government is too interested in their own ego and crying racism when they don't get their way?

I will add that memphians are too critical of their city. Like TennBear, I have a lot of friends that have visited that absolutely love memphis. I think all this comes down to the fact that when you are told you are bad for so long by people up in nashville and other places you start to believe it. I will be the first to tell you that memphis is not bad and it has a great future as long as the current city government stay out of its progression.

You are correct with a lot of your statements. My main was that when population shifts and people start moving back to midtown and downtown businesses will follow. I am not one to count out that one beale could start a new trent of condo towers downtown. This is probably unlikely, but it is still possible. If this were to happen, it is only logical to think that businesses will follow the trend because people will want to follow the trend.

As for memphis being a forgotten city, I am not sure that I think it is forgotten. The only reason I feel that this subject has been brought up is because of the failure of the city to attract young proffesionals. Our leaders are not progressive. Willie doesn't give a crap about cleaning up the crime in the city. He is to consumed with spreading his seed and tending to his ego. Due to this, people graduating from college don't talk about going to memphis to try to find a job, they go to birmingham, nashville, charlotte, raleigh, etc. This is not to say that the city is not fun because I think it is, it is just geared more for an older crowd. There are some great parts of the city and there are some very intelligent folks that are really trying to push memphis past its present image, but as long as the people running our city are too interested in their self-image and crying racism when something is against their views, we will never fully reach our potential.

That is a question that can be asked. Does anyone on this forum feel our city government is too interested in their own ego and crying racism when they don't get their way?

I am going to lightly touch this subject. First off it is kind of funny because when a white person proposes something to the city council, they cry and yell racism because it doesn't benefit the black community in south memphis.

Second, I am one to believe that it is a good thing that race is not discussed anymore. I feel that the days of segregation and "keeping the black man down" are long over. Our society is based on a person's ability to produce. I don't we should make special exceptions for someone just because they are a different color. If a person has a good work ethic and tries hard than I don't care what company you interview for or work for chances are you are going to be successful. Fed Ex is a very good example of it. You can look at their executives. Almost every color is represented there because those are the ones that tried the hardest and they are the ones that have made Fed Ex the most money.

We live in a corporate world that is blind to color. People like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are the one that make sure that racism still exists. Look at the Duke case. Jackson and Sharpton ripped those kids apart because of what they did to that black girl. In the end, the duke kids did nothing and Jackson and Sharpton have never apologized for their accusations.

If you look around the country at all the cities that are doing well, they don't have city councils that cry racism when ever they can. The citizens of those cities understand that to progress you have to work together. That is something we have not fully mastered yet. Our business community has, but the city council has not.

We live in a society that is success driven, there is no time for the race card. If I don't get a promotion it is because I didn't work hard enough or somebody worked that much harder than me.

Maybe I didn't touch this subject as light as I should have.

well i just hope that Herenton really doesn't win the mayoral race again, he's awful. The camp behind Morris should try and convince the other opponents to back out of the race so that we can be sure we put someone in office that will be beneficial for Memphis.

With the race the way it is now, we have no chance of getting Herenton out, and he divides this city more than anything else!

Sorry Lexy, that was a little bit of a low blow towards nashville.

Being that I have lived in nashville for two years I have come across people that have absolute distaste toward memphis and those that like it. It is kind of funny that I don't always remember the one that speak kindly of my city, but I always remember the commens that speak badly.

Memphis is a love/hate city and it doesn't seem like there is much room for the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Memphis twice, most recently back in March for Bishop G.E. Patterson's funeral. Although I didn't see the entire city either times, one thing that really struck me the last time I was there was the stark contrast from the area outside of the city near Bishop Patterson's church, Temple of Deliverance Church, and downtown; you would almost think you entered a totally different city. I understand that the church is in "the hood," but never have I witnessed such a brutal transition from a disadvantaged neighborhood to downtown in any other city I've visited. To me, that is indicative that there is a wide disconnect from the "haves" and "have nots" in the city. Now I was impressed with downtown. My friends and I ate at TGIFriday's right next to AutoZone Park (an urban ballpark done right, might I add), and the level of activity was pretty substantial downtown; of course, a lot of it was concentrated on Beale Street. I would suggest that the city at least upgrade the infrastructure in these neglected areas.

I've been to Memphis twice, most recently back in March for Bishop G.E. Patterson's funeral. Although I didn't see the entire city either times, one thing that really struck me the last time I was there was the stark contrast from the area outside of the city near Bishop Patterson's church, Temple of Deliverance Church, and downtown; you would almost think you entered a totally different city. I understand that the church is in "the hood," but never have I witnessed such a brutal transition from a disadvantaged neighborhood to downtown in any other city I've visited. To me, that is indicative that there is a wide disconnect from the "haves" and "have nots" in the city. Now I was impressed with downtown. My friends and I ate at TGIFriday's right next to AutoZone Park (an urban ballpark done right, might I add), and the level of activity was pretty substantial downtown; of course, a lot of it was concentrated on Beale Street. I would suggest that the city at least upgrade the infrastructure in these neglected areas.

I don't understand why they wouldn't do that. Just this year, my denomination announced that it was having all of the yearly general conventions in Columbia, and we just broke ground a few months ago on some land to build a hotel, apartments, etc. It would only make sense for COGIC to do the same, especially considering that they've been having their general convention in Memphis since...forever. Some of that hotel money could be going right back into the denomination.

At the same time, couldn't the city be investing in that area in terms of infrastructure and the like? A good ol' fashioned streetscaping of 3rd Street would do wonders.

I don't understand why they wouldn't do that. Just this year, my denomination announced that it was having all of the yearly general conventions in Columbia, and we just broke ground a few months ago on some land to build a hotel, apartments, etc. It would only make sense for COGIC to do the same, especially considering that they've been having their general convention in Memphis since...forever. Some of that hotel money could be going right back into the denomination.

At the same time, couldn't the city be investing in that area in terms of infrastructure and the like? A good ol' fashioned streetscaping of 3rd Street would do wonders.

But in regard to the stark contrast between DT and Temple of Deliverance area, don't forget both areas used to be identical - they were both run down and empty. The DT renaissance started and is slowly creeping outward, including toward the south. It's not as if that contrast has always been there - I'm just grateful DT is no longer the way it was 20-30 years ago.

Most of it is positive and thats good! Some is questionable. A comedian that recently performed in Memphis was making jokes about how dangerous the city is from watching A&E's "The First 48" show. He was talking about how Memphis is on the show every week and people from South Central L.A. are afraid to come to Memphis :o I watch the show and Memphis and Miami are featured quite often.

Well, everybody has their stereotypes. I would imagine as well that the comedian was playing to a Memphis audience. If he was playing in Minneapolis, I doubt if the audience would particularly connect with that.

I live in the upper midwest, and folks up here--when they think about Memphis at all--generally have a good impression of the city. Perhaps that has to do with the fact that up here people are stereotyped as all being hick farmers, so they're reluctant to do the same to other places.

Archived