Springfield-New Haven commuter rail

prudence

http://www.masslive.com/news/topstories/in....xml&coll=1

Rails may carry economic power

Saturday, June 23, 2007By MARLA A. [email protected]

SPRINGFIELD - Elected officials and transportation chiefs from across New England gathered here yesterday to advocate for a commuter rail line from New Haven to Springfield and perhaps beyond.

"It is absolutely one of the bedrock pieces for reinventing Springfield and the entire region," said Timothy W. Brennan, Pioneer Valley Planning Commission executive director.

Connecticut has allocated $146 million to the project, expected to have a maximum price tag of $300 million, Brennan said. However, Massachusetts' share would not exceed $30 million, Brennan said, adding he is "cautiously optimistic" that the Legislature will approve funds.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I would love to see MA jump behind this project and have a state like MA that, lets face it, has more federal pull than CT, run to Obama and say, dude, fund this and push this project. if the two states together could push this at a federal level with our new adinistration i feel as though we can get something solid and concrete under construction before Obamas term is done. add ing VT would of course be a bonus. adding in the Waterbury line would be a bonus, but the N-S commuter line would be phenominal, and make me seriously concider moving to within walking distance to a station.

Archived