IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

Well to calm us all down for a second, the Globe story said 16 and 19. So who's right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it looks like THREE separate and distinct towers projects are breaking at the same time:

Intercontinental - 2 towers at 16 and 19 stories at Waterplace Park.

Proccacanti - Hilton at 27 stories at the Holiday Inn, Dunkin Donuts Center.

Granoff and Bluechip Associates - 32 stories (!) location unknown.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it looks like THREE separate and distinct towers projects are breaking at the same time:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could be, I'm so excited I might pee my pants! :w00t:

This Granoff building may be Capital Cove, if so, we're in the wrong thread! :lol:

32 story residential, first of it's kind in over a decade? Try first of it's kind, EVER! Hartford is currenly building New England's tallest residential building... I wonder...

Need to do some quick checking!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so quick checking then...

Hartford's new tower will be 36-floors, so One Ten Westminster won't be besting it. :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, FIVE maybe SIX

• Intercontinental is 2

• Procaccanti is 2 maybe 3 (not including the second Westin Tower)

-One at the Circular gas station site, one (maybe) added to the current Holiday Inn, one 27-stories on an undisclosed vacant lot

• One Ten Westminster

Not so quick checking then...

Hartford's new tower will be 36-floors, so One Ten Westminster won't be besting it.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeesh...!

I hate to say, but based purely on aesthetics, I like the Hartford tower better than ours...

Very nice design in my opinion. Not that 110 W looks bad...Just side by side, I'll take the hartford one. Interestingly, there also seems to be a trend toward residential towers with those off-kilter cornice hats...

I was riding the trolley this morning past Parcel 2 and I was trying to mentally will it into existence. Maybe I should steal some equipment from the GTECH site and just get started. Mid-March can't come soon enough! :wacko:

Gilbane has been hired for this job.  ( Construction Management )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not much of a surprise there. Hiring a contractor is a good sign, it's almost "Mid-March." Hurry up guys, I'm getting antsy!

Towering changes in the air

A $100-million project featuring a pair of luxury condominium buildings -- one 19 stories, the other 17 -- would soar above nearby Providence landmarks.

BY GREGORY SMITH Journal Staff Writer | March 9, 2005

PROVIDENCE -- In mid-April a Boston developer backed by pension funds expects to begin construction of two residential towers that will challenge the State House for preeminence on the skyline.

The $100-million project at Waterplace Park, launched by a subsidiary of Intercontinental Real Estate Corp., will feature 193 luxury condominiums, restaurants and pubs along the Riverwalk and a three-level parking garage.

Although the State House sits atop Smith Hill, the 19-story and 17-story towers will block some views of the architecturally renowned building from the south and the east.

At 235 feet and 213 feet, respectively, the towers will reach higher than anything in the area, including Providence Place mall, One Citizens Plaza and the GTECH headquarters now under construction across the pond at Waterplace.

IN THE PAST couple of years, developers including Intercontinental have built, begun building or publicly proposed at least 1,700 apartments and condominiums -- mostly high-end -- in downtown and within a block or two of downtown.

There is nothing like the Intercontinental project in the Providence metropolitan area: high-rise condominiums. Although Intercontinental had been inclined to build apartments, in recent weeks it settled on condominiums for economic and market reasons.

Units averaging 1,150 to 1,200 square feet, but with some as large as 2,000-plus square feet, will be offered at prices ranging from $300,000 to more than $1 million. Residents will have fitness and business centers and community rooms, but no swimming pool.

Intercontinental and other developers are riding a demographic wave in which baby-boomers whose children have grown up and left home are downsizing by selling their houses and, in some cases, moving to cities to enjoy the amenities.

Gardner said she senses a pent-up demand for expensive condominiums, having been a banker for 25 years catering to high-net-worth individuals. Recently retired, she said friends and former clients have told her, "We're really at a crossroads. We want to change where we're living but we really don't have a lot of options."

"Capital Center is now confident enough to build modern buildings. The architecture of the 21st century has begun to make itself felt," said Derek Bradford, a member of the commission's design review panel.

Wilfrid L. Gates Jr., panel chairman, calls it "a refreshing turn toward contemporary architecture."

The exterior will consist of a glass curtain wall framed by precast concrete and covered in part with synthetic limestone panels called Arriscraft that would be used in varying shades of buff, cream and gray and in rock-like or smooth textures.

The buildings will have a whitish cast, picking up the color of the State House and of the bridge and stairway abutments in Waterplace.

During the hiatus between phases one and two, much of the garage roof will remain exposed, leaving an unattractive sight for some condo buyers and anyone on higher ground.

The exposed ground-level roof will be designed to be temporary and will be covered by a rubber membrane of an undetermined color, according to Deborah Melino-Wender, commission executive director. An opaque fence will screen it from passersby.

As a temporary roof, she said, it won't be able to bear the weight of soil and grass.

FOR THE SAKE of public safety during construction, a 250-foot section of the Riverwalk and part of the amphitheater at Waterplace will be closed off with a 6-foot-high fence for 2 1/2 years, interfering with visitors' enjoyment of WaterFire and similar events. The project is scheduled to be completed in August 2007.

Continue reading at: ProJo.

A fascinating article on a number of fronts, including that apparently the Mayor's office is pushing them to make a future 3rd or 4th building office space but that the market just isn't there to support it. Interesting...

- Garris

Price we have to pay. Hopefully they'll do what they can to mitigate that. We'll probably see more of the partial WaterFires lit towards RISD for the next couple years. There's going to be construction at both sides of the Basin.

Hard to think they would have more partial lightings for the next two years i mean that would really take things away from waterfire. Maybe the the wall can be taken down for waterfire becasue you wont have people working on the building at night.

It would be a shame to affect something the draws 30,000-100,000 people downtown during summer nights.

Hard to think they would have more partial lightings for the next two years i mean that would really take things away from waterfire. Maybe the the wall can be taken down for waterfire becasue you wont have people working on the building at night.

It would be a shame to affect something the draws 30,000-100,000 people downtown during summer nights.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't mean that full WaterFires should now be partials. Just when people only want to pay for a partial, they will likely be at RISD instead of the Basin. Actually, I could imagine both GTECH and Intercontinental setting up special viewing platforms as space on their sites permit to sort of create a 'good neighbour' type of feeling.

I didn't mean that full WaterFires should now be partials. Just when people only want to pay for a partial, they will likely be at RISD instead of the Basin. Actually, I could imagine both GTECH and Intercontinental setting up special viewing platforms as space on their sites permit to sort of create a 'good neighbour' type of feeling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Finally I was able to figure out how to post replies on this board. :D Don't know why I had such a hard time navagating this site. I found this board last year while doing a google search on capital center and couldn't believe the amount of info here for a subject that I was obsessed with. Now I don't have to annoy David Brussat at projo for infomation :) And I'm very glad to finally see something happening at parcel 2. However, I'm still wondering whatever happened over at parcel 4. Last I heard Beacon Companies of Boston was doing "value engineering" which meant that they couldn't make the numbers work. As far as I know the Capital Center Comm hasen't re-advertised this parcel for proposals. Glad to be aboard with so many people who share my interests.

Finally I was able to figure out how to post replies on this board.  :D  Don't know why I had such a hard time navagating this site. I found this board last year while doing a google search on capital center and couldn't believe the amount of info here for a subject that I was obsessed with.  Now I don't have to annoy David Brussat at projo for infomation :) And I'm very glad to finally see something happening at parcel 2. However, I'm still wondering whatever happened over at parcel 4. Last I heard Beacon Companies of Boston was doing "value engineering" which meant that they couldn't make the numbers work. As far as I know the Capital Center Comm hasen't re-advertised this parcel for proposals. Glad to be aboard with so many people who share my interests.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH NO!!!!!!!!! Channel 12 just did a piece on parcel 2 and they said to expect MORE development news next week :rofl: I CAN'T WAIT ONE WEEK :rofl: I wish they haden't even said anything. This was from the mayor. Any guesses as to what this could be. Maybe a new Citizen's Bank building on parcel 4? :silly: Somebody pinch me.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!  Channel 12 just did a piece on parcel 2 and they said to expect MORE development news next week  :rofl:  I CAN'T WAIT ONE WEEK :rofl:  I wish they haden't even said anything. This was from the mayor. Any guesses as to what this could be. Maybe a new Citizen's Bank building on parcel 4? :silly:  Somebody pinch me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw the same report. I can't wait either. I'm all excited. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

It is pretty amazing.  Like the floodgates opened on Providence development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone know what Parcel 12 is? I have seen reports that a contract has been signed between the Providence Redevelopment Authority and the Maguire Group for that parcel, but I am not sure where that spot is and whether it might have something to do with this supposed announcment...interesting...

This is seriously outta control :w00t: !

Finally I was able to figure out how to post replies on this board.  :D  Don't know why I had such a hard time navagating this site. I found this board last year while doing a google search on capital center and couldn't believe the amount of info here for a subject that I was obsessed with. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only took you a year to figure it out, not bad! :P Welcome aboard!

OH NO!!!!!!!!!  Channel 12 just did a piece on parcel 2 and they said to expect MORE development news next week  :rofl:  I CAN'T WAIT ONE WEEK :rofl:  I wish they haden't even said anything. This was from the mayor. Any guesses as to what this could be. Maybe a new Citizen's Bank building on parcel 4? :silly:  Somebody pinch me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't wait either, why did you tell me!? It would be great to finally get some details on this Citizens rumour, that has been killing me. There's been talk about how the current market can't absorb new office space now, but Citizens doesn't actually occupy it's whole HQ now, a good bit is rented out. So what the hell do they need a new HQ for? Very interesting...

Anyone know what Parcel 12 is? I have seen reports that a contract has been signed between the Providence Redevelopment Authority and the Maguire Group for that parcel, but I am not sure where that spot is and whether it might have something to do with this supposed announcment...interesting...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is why I wish the city had more info online, there should be a Capital Centre website where the design review committee would send information onto the public. I have no idea which parcel is which, anyone have a map?

Archived