IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

Took some pictures at Parcel 2 this afternoon. You can see they've put Jersey Barriers down the center of Exchange and along the sidewalk on Finance Way. Looks like they are taking a lane, and the parking lane on Exchange to use as a staging area. It's not closed off yet, you can see the poles in the Jersey Barriers set up for fencing though.

2005-0503-001.jpg

2005-0503-002.jpg

2005-0503-003.jpg

2005-0503-004.jpg

2005-0503-005.jpg

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to jinx it before the official ground breaking, so I'm not changing the thread title yet, but this thing is in-progress.

Bunch of guys and trucks on site this morning. Backhoe hoeing, dump truck dumping... The two lanes on Exchange are closed now, new lines have been painted on the open section.

More activity this morning: A surveyor on Exchange Street, fencing being set up along the Jersey Barriers on Exchange, and the guardrail along Finance Way was being removed.

There's a lot in this article - here's what I thought were the highlights:

Two towers will stand 17- and 19-stories tal, 193 luxury condominiums from $300,000 to more than $1 million and range in size from 750 to 2,500 square feet. Very Cool!

$1.8 billion in construction projects under way or in the pipeline in Providence.

Very Cool!

The developer sees the Westin condos as a compliment, not competition, to the Waterplace condominiums Very Cool!

Two years to complete, with the first 10 months mainly focused on building the underground garage! 10 months!! That's gonna be torture!

"Designers from GTECH and Intercontinental attended each other's design meetings in hopes of creating modern buildings that would complement each other" EXTREMELY Cool!

"Waterplace is the first residential project to break ground in the Capital Center District in since the apartments at Center Place opened 15 years ago." Very Cool! - Now... if only I could afford to live there!

Very Cool! - Now... if only I could afford to live there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buy your Powerball tickets, then go here :)

This was interesting:

The ground-breaking ceremony, held in a heated tent

Hello, spring!? I had the heat on yesterday! :(

Crews were putting up fencing on the Basin side of the parcel this morning, and they were in the process of blocking the stairs from the Waterplace Bridge to the riverwalk when I was walking by. I actually usually go over the Waterplace bridge and walk along that side of the river, I went up the ramp and had to head back down this morning.

While i was walking around w-p-p this afternoon, i chatted with some of the guys over at the Gtech site. A couple of guys were at the very top of the yellow ten story crane, anyway, as conversation went along they mentioned that the cran over at this site would 18-20 stories.

Just wait a year from now when there are probably at least 3 cranes in the downtown skyline: Waterplace, Gtech (might be down in a year?), Westin, Capital Cove (if it gets started soon), 110.

I'd love to go up that crane and snap a pic of Waterplace from up there.

Just wait a year from now when there are probably at least 3 cranes in the downtown skyline: Waterplace, Gtech (might be down in a year?), Westin, Capital Cove (if it gets started soon), 110.

I'd love to go up that crane and snap a pic of Waterplace from up there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

or bungy jump :w00t:

as conversation went along they mentioned that the cran over at this site would 18-20 stories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the crain at the GTECH site is the height that the buildings at Waterplace will be.

Lots of work at WaterPlace yesterday. The stairs from the Exchange Street and WaterPlace Bridges into the work site have been removed. The walkways and walls along the upper lever of the Basin have been removed. Paving along the riverwalk is being removed (bricks were being stacked on pallets for re-use). All the WaterPlace Park walkways along the site edge are closed, and in some process of being removed.

Im not excited about the whole side of the riverwalk closed off already. I cant see why the fence cant allow six feet worth of path width.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was hoping it would stay open longer as well, especially since they were saying work would focus on the garage first, which is away from the river.

I'm sure there are liability issues involved in closing down the riverwalk, and the fact that they got right to work on removing the stairs makes me hopefully that they will begin work there quickly and be able to partially reopen it sooner than later.

Isn't this a "kangaroo" crane that can build itself higher if need be? They are building the new towers in NYC with a similar crane. Check out this thread: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48262

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I was thinking it was going to be when they first started setting it up, but it is so much taller than the building is going to be, that I don't think that's necessary. I would expect to see a kangaroo crane at OneTen Westminster since they have no space for a free standing crane, and maybe we'll see them at WaterPlace.

That's what I was thinking it was going to be when they first started setting it up, but it is so much taller than the building is going to be, that I don't think that's necessary. I would expect to see a kangaroo crane at OneTen Westminster since they have no space for a free standing crane, and maybe we'll see them at WaterPlace.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like they're going to have to closed down Westminster & Weybosset Sts at times.

Archived