Baton Rouge Entertainment Venues

drew6974

I passed by Blue Bayou today and was amazed at the people there. Both parking lots were full and it was wall to wall people in there. All the rides had people in long lines waiting to ride.

Seems like that should tell developers that BR needs more entertainment venues.

There are more people in the area than ever and they are looking for something to do.

People around here used to drive to New Orleans for entertainment but it's time for developers here in BR to step up and supply more entertainment right here.

What type of entertainment would you like to see here? Does Blue Bayou have room to continue to expand? What types of entertainment do other cities have that you would like to see here?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are coming to BlueBayou from miles around. I was there a couple of weeks ago and I spoke with people from N.O. to Lafayette. With Six Flags gone in Houston and New Orleans, people are now looking to BR for amusement park fun. This is a prime time for the owners of Blue Bayou to capitalize and expand. I don't know who owns the land just east of BlueBayou, but that would be the perfect direction for them to grow.

I would like to see them build a Six Flags here.Maybe in Gonzales, Walker, Livingston, or Zachary or Central. I love roller coasters so I would love to see one of their parks here. :D

Like this.I've actually been on this and talk about intense ride. :w00t:

sh0.jpg

Whats to become of the six flags in New Orleans?

What happened to it? Are they going to repoen it?

It would be awesome, If Six Flags came to Baton Rouge. The city has become more aggresive in promoting itself.

So you never know. You so right about houston six flags closing (which I cannot understand at all, as big as houston is?!) And if new orleans doesn't have six flags, well my Baton Rouge is an Open market with blue bayou!!

They should definately expand to the east, and double the size of the park.

I think BLue Bayou could cement itself as prime time If they built like 2 more coasters. A custom steel coaster, and a real big wooden coaster.

I think Baton Rouge needs a nightlife entertainment district, similar to Dallas Deep ellum district. Its a bit Gothic, which is a disposable qulaity, but there are many local acts who perform at the 20+ clubs on these few city blocks. Baton Rouge should develop a "club" district where people party, and also are exposed to local arts and talent.

I also think they could use some national chain entertainment venues like dave and busters, and main event (bowling arcade).

I can see them putting and D and B downtown. and a main event some where out on the south side, like Seigen or something, or burbank and bluebonnet.

I also think Downtown should have some type of monumental structure, thats is built simply to be monumental....

ex: the arch in st louis. We need something creative that brands downtown and sets it apart regardless of its lack of height... have you seen the st louis sky line?

Thanks for starting this thread drew :thumbsup:

Yeah Blue Bayou/Dixie Landing is in demand with all the closures in the Gulf South region. There should be room to expand. I was very suprised when Astroworld closed! What's up with that?? But WaterWorld stayed open, right?? Dallas, Birmingham and Atlanta are the closest theme parks now.

Downtown BR already has an Arts & Entertainment District "emerging" along Third Street. (Check-out the Entertainment District thread) The plans are being drafted up with several more meetings to come. There are many more venues set to open in the coming year too. A Jazz/Blues club will happen one day soon. I really like your D & B's idea; throw in the small cinema/bowling alley and we are set!!!

I am curious to see what downtown BR will look like 5 years from now!?!?

I totally agree BRPJ with your monumental structure for downtown too! Great idea!!! :w00t: At a Riverfront meeting two years ago I proposed a landmark "iconic" Red Stick observation tower(similar to Gatlinburg's); adjacent to the Old Municipal Dock just South of the I-10 bridge. I figured it would be around 330'ft tall and illuminate red at night! Part of the entertainment complex w/amphitheatre and possible minor-league baseball park.....well I saw a token version of an observation tower on the proposed batture along the river, not very impressed, better than nothing??

Hope I'm wrong, but I have a hard time ever seeing a minor-league team/park coming to downtown BR. It's simply too close to LSU; who is already starting to build a new ball-park.

Six Flags New Orleans isn't literally gone, the park, the rides, everything, is still there in New Orleans East. However, the park was ravaged by Katrina and sat in floodwaters of up to 10 feet for weeks. Six Flags is going through some serious financial problems right now, which is the reason they had to close one of their largest and most popular parks in Six Flags Astroworld in Houston, and have done nothing with Six Flags in New Orleans since Katrina. They have too many parks, and they're having problems supporting and maintaining all of them. Because of that, I wouldn't expect to see Six Flags in Baton Rouge anytime soon. If they're having problems in Houston, a metro of 5.6 million, to the point where they have to close the park, I can't see how they would find great success in Baton Rouge. Even some of their smaller parks around the nation are facing major problems, and it looks like Six Flags is looking to stick to their larger parks in places like Atlanta, Dallas, and L.A. that are still very popular.

As for Six Flags in New Orleans, I'm not too sure about the future. Something will happen to that park, possibly a private group will buy it and get it up and running again. It started out as Jazzland, a non-chain theme park, but was then bought by Six Flags and turned into Six Flags New Orleans. There has actually been some serious talk about bringing back Ponchartrain Beach on the lakefront in New Orleans. Either way, I expect to see a theme park up and running here within 5 years, as the demand is definately still there.

Here's a question about entertainment in Baton Rouge, mainly entertainment for families/kids.

Most of the families I know that live in New Orleans and travel to Baton Rouge go there for, in no paricular order, Blue Bayou, LSU games, the USS Kidd, and the Capitol. Is there anything else that is really drawing people from outside of the area?

I know many New Orleans venues are popular with Baton Rouge families, especially the aquarium, zoo, Louisiana Childrens Museum, Saints games, National WWII Museum, art museums, etc. And obviously the French Quarter.

When I was younger, I went to Baton Rouge (usually) for the USS Kidd and LSU games. Of course we had friends to visit and such, but as a kid, I always loved the USS Kidd and going to see the Tigers play. Has that changed at all? (apart from Blue Bayou?)

Thanks for starting this thread drew :thumbsup:

Yeah Blue Bayou/Dixie Landing is in demand with all the closures in the Gulf South region. There should be room to expand. I was very suprised when Astroworld closed! What's up with that?? But WaterWorld stayed open, right?? Dallas, Birmingham and Atlanta are the closest theme parks now.

Downtown BR already has an Arts & Entertainment District "emerging" along Third Street. (Check-out the Entertainment District thread) The plans are being drafted up with several more meetings to come. There are many more venues set to open in the coming year too. A Jazz/Blues club will happen one day soon. I really like your D & B's idea; throw in the small cinema/bowling alley and we are set!!!

I am curious to see what downtown BR will look like 5 years from now!?!?

I totally agree BRPJ with your monumental structure for downtown too! Great idea!!! :w00t: At a Riverfront meeting two years ago I proposed a landmark "iconic" Red Stick observation tower(similar to Gatlinburg's); adjacent to the Old Municipal Dock just South of the I-10 bridge. I figured it would be around 330'ft tall and illuminate red at night! Part of the entertainment complex w/amphitheatre and possible minor-league baseball park.....well I saw a token version of an observation tower on the proposed batture along the river, not very impressed, better than nothing??

Hope I'm wrong, but I have a hard time ever seeing a minor-league team/park coming to downtown BR. It's simply too close to LSU; who is already starting to build a new ball-park.

Most of the families I know that live in New Orleans and travel to Baton Rouge go there for, in no paricular order, Blue Bayou, LSU games, the USS Kidd, and the Capitol. Is there anything else that is really drawing people from outside of the area?

I like all of the ideas. I was kind of dissapointed with the riverfront development plan that was unveiled a while back. It was like there was no "there" there. I would like to see some type of entertainment park down by the river along with the "Red Stick Observation Tower." Some kind of destination attraction.

I wonder what the audobon institute is going to come up with?

I know that the river center and manship theater is drawing people from around the area. I passed by there yesterday. The "Dancing with the stars" was going on that night. That's not exactly my thing but I was amazed at the number of buses and cars from out of town parked in the area. I seriously think half the cars were from New Orleans going by the dealer decals.

I heard the head of the chamber say the other day that a "large entertainment venue" was looking at BR. I wonder what that is?

I think one attraction that is a hidded gem is the new state museum. That is a fantastic museum and I am dissapointed when I drive by and see so few people going in and out. Maybe some advertising in nearby cities would help.

I also think Blue Bayou/ Dixie Landing would do well to expand. I know they've been adding rides almost every year and I think the concerts is a good idea too. I've looked at the land to the east and also south that looks basically vacant. Hopefully they can acquire some more land and make it a truly great amusement park.

I know New Orleans is a great entertainment center and it always will be but I think it's time that Baton Rouge started developing it's own entertainment and taking it's place as the "South's next great city."

Wow, I like you Idea too. A red stick, thats makes the most sense. I was thinking about what it coule be.... but thats very fitting...

Now visualy though I have a hard time thinking about how to build it, and make it look modern and sleek and not like some big ugly structure...

But I think They should build it. It should be taller than any current structure.... Like 40 Stories tall at least. And have an observation deck at the top, The illuminating idea at night is perfect. A red light, hmm i wish i had the technology to design it myself... thats a really good idea!

I know New Orleans is a great entertainment center and it always will be but I think it's time that Baton Rouge started developing it's own entertainment and taking it's place as the "South's next great city."

I remember discussing this about a year ago here on UP, and I still think it would be very tough to establish Baton Rouge as a major entertainment center only an hour from New Orleans. I'm sure it's possible, but what would you do? What market would you try to corner? I guess those are some questions to keep this thread going atleast. :lol:

Baton Rouge will always have LSU and everything that it brings to the city, it will always have the Capitol, and the USS Kidd will always be an interesting mini-destination for many families, as it always was for mine. But what else would you do to establish the city as an entertainment center that's "different from New Orleans?"

^Oh, I completely agree. I thought you were talking about making Baton Rouge a regional/national entertainment destination, and I was asking what would need to be done in order for that to happen. If you're talking about more options for the people of Baton Rouge and surrounding areas, I completely agree, I think there could be many more options and lots more to do. I just misunderstood your last post, my mistake. :thumbsup:

BTW, is the population of Baton Rouge still larger than New Orleans? I'm not sure about the latest numbers for Baton Rouge, but New Orleans' population as of April was around 288,000, and that is believed to have risen to around 300,000 in the 3 months.

^Oh, I completely agree. I thought you were talking about making Baton Rouge a regional/national entertainment destination, and I was asking what would need to be done in order for that to happen. If you're talking about more options for the people of Baton Rouge and surrounding areas, I completely agree, I think there could be many more options and lots more to do. I just misunderstood your last post, my mistake. :thumbsup:

BTW, is the population of Baton Rouge still larger than New Orleans? I'm not sure about the latest numbers for Baton Rouge, but New Orleans' population as of April was around 288,000, and that is believed to have risen to around 300,000 in the 3 months.

I definately think Baton Rouge can develop into a national hot bed of attraction.

Atlanta, Dallas, to name a few all pale in comparison to the rich heritage of new orleans,

But one way or another they succeeded in creating the image of being cultural and entertaining.

Baton Rouge even has more culture and uniqueness than these places. Its really about getting the vision and the money to make it work. I think there has to be a nightlife, there has to be arts, and something for the family...

one way or many ways get that in the city, and you can do anything.

Education is very important to get people to even take the city serious. But if we can create an atmosphere where people feel like they can come and be happy, and live a good life, then they will move here.

The first thing I think B.R. needs to do is get over it's inferiority complex and stop comparing itself so much to New Orleans, in the sense that if NO has so many of such restaurants then we have to have some too.You have to ask yourself, why would anybody come to Baton Rouge if they could get the same thing at a better quality in New Orleans? It's obvious that we can't copy the things that New Orleans is famous for(historic architecture,fine cuisine,music,etc.) so we need to find something different and identify what we are already good at.

When it comes to architecture Baton Rouge doesn't have many historic buildings, which is why we should try to invest more in modern/contemporary architecture, trying pulling in styles from across the US.

When it comes to entertainment in Baton Rouge the first thing that pops into my mind is shopping. B.R. seems to do that really well with what seems to me like a large amount a high profile retail establishments for a city our size and that's a good way to get regional/super-regonal/national recognition, so we definitely need to stick with that.

Excellent post, Dan! :thumbsup:

I'm about to hit the sack, but I've got a few ideas I'd like to share with you guys tommorow. I'm still really interested in everything going on in downtown Baton Rouge, as that area could change almost completely, and that's very compelling to me.

The first thing I think B.R. needs to do is get over it's inferiority complex and stop comparing itself so much to New Orleans, in the sense that if NO has so many of such restaurants then we have to have some too.You have to ask yourself, why would anybody come to Baton Rouge if they could get the same thing at a better quality in New Orleans? It's obvious that we can't copy the things that New Orleans is famous for(historic architecture,fine cuisine,music,etc.) so we need to find something different and identify what we are already good at.

When it comes to architecture Baton Rouge doesn't have many historic buildings, which is why we should try to invest more in modern/contemporary architecture, trying pulling in styles from across the US.

When it comes to entertainment in Baton Rouge the first thing that pops into my mind is shopping. B.R. seems to do that really well with what seems to me like a large amount a high profile retail establishments for a city our size and that's a good way to get regional/super-regonal/national recognition, so we definitely need to stick with that.

Wow, I like you Idea too. A red stick, thats makes the most sense. I was thinking about what it coule be.... but thats very fitting...

Now visualy though I have a hard time thinking about how to build it, and make it look modern and sleek and not like some big ugly structure...

But I think They should build it. It should be taller than any current structure.... Like 40 Stories tall at least. And have an observation deck at the top, The illuminating idea at night is perfect. A red light, hmm i wish i had the technology to design it myself... thats a really good idea!

The giant red stick with an observation tower and restarant on the top would be really cool. The bottom floor could be a massive museum showcasing music from all over the region.

I like the idea of an iconic red stick oberservation tower. Maybe some kind of glass incased tower that is illuminated from the interior with red light?

Maybe something similar to the architecture of the Bejing Olympic Stadium?

beijing1.jpg

It's great to see all the enthusiasm in the BR Forum :thumbsup: Thanks everybody!!! Great looking rendering.

When I get some extra time I'll take a pic of the "sketch" of the Red Stick observation tower and post it.

How cool would it be for Downtown BR?? to hang-out at the RiverArium, after catching a show at IMAX/Space Theatre(Planetarium). Then go to Dave & Buster's, walk a couple of blocks to a Jazz, Blues, or Zydeco music venue. Then after that, hang out at the Shaw Center's roof-top terrace or Red Stick observation tower.

^Well said Dan, you are ahead of your time!

Archived