Miami 2027

noland123

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miami-Dade will have 9 million, South FL metro will have 11 million, if not more. Overtown will be part of Midtown Miami because the eastern part of the community hugs Midtown. Most importantly, NW Miami will no longer be inner-city ghetto.

I think of Miami does not change its tactics soon it will be far worse off than it is now.

On NPR they were talking about the "South Florida problem". Which basically means the people who planned Fort Lauderdale and Miami were idiots early on.

When people were flooding here in the 80s and 90s they should have built out a major mass transit project that tied the two counties together and had wide reaching coverage. They should have also built UP more than out as they did (urban sprawl).

So couple all that with the fact the jobs here suck and under pay and you have a not very good situation. They said on this NPR show, something like 20,000 more people leave South Florida each year than move here.

So in short IF Miami can get really big business here, bring down the housing cost and build out a good mass transit system (they should contract NYC's transportation engineers) then I think it could become HUGE. If not then it will remain a mediocre place with South Beach as its main draw (and that gets old after awhile)

I would say the city of Miami will probably hit 550,000, Miami-Dade will be close to or at 3,200,000. I think the county will actually be MORE diverse, meaning not a huge majority of just Cubans, but many other Hispanics and people from the Caribbean and even (dare I say it) from this country. As Miami becomes more of a world class city, more people will come here from other parts of the United States to live the unique Miami lifestyle. The white and black non-Hispanic population will be the made up of those who love Miami for its diversity not people who are here and hate it.

Broward will probably hit 2,300,000 million (it's 1.8 million now) and will become a more solidly minority majority county, it will probably be 35% Hispanic of all races, 30% black of all races, 30% white non-Hispanic, and 5% other. You'll also see much more interconnectivity between Miami-Dade and Broward counties as they function more and more like a consolidated metro area. Broward will continue to, in most parts, resemble Miami more than West Palm Beach.

Many of the WASPS in Palm Beach county will probably flip out at the transformation in Broward and head for the hills, so Palm Beach may start changing rather dramatically too.

I'd put the South Florida metro area in 2027 at 7,600,000. It's at around 5,500,000 now.

Hopefully real Transit will be a reality by then or welcome to LA! I'd much rather South Florida go the NYC way with transit than LA... But it looks like we're headed the other way.

I'll certainly agree that the lack of transportation planning is going to be a major problem for the area in the future. The existing systems are so underfunded and poorly located that they are rarely even thought of as a serious alternative to driving. In a nutshell, there is already so much sprawl that much of the area is starting to lose its appeal. When I'm in Fort Lauderdale, I almost have to look out at the beach to remind myself that I'm in Florida. Once away from the beach, the charms of South Florida are found in many places, but most of these aren't in the cities. So much of Fort Lauderdale and Miami has been poorly planned and built that it is depressing to behold. In truth, the same could be said for areas in most major cities, so it's not unique to South Florida. I'm not posting all of this to be negative or to disparage a place I have come to love. I just hope and pray that its future will be brighter than one built in the shade of a freeway interchange.

• 3 weeks later...
I think of Miami does not change its tactics soon it will be far worse off than it is now.

On NPR they were talking about the "South Florida problem". Which basically means the people who planned Fort Lauderdale and Miami were idiots early on.

When people were flooding here in the 80s and 90s they should have built out a major mass transit project that tied the two counties together and had wide reaching coverage. They should have also built UP more than out as they did (urban sprawl).

So couple all that with the fact the jobs here suck and under pay and you have a not very good situation. They said on this NPR show, something like 20,000 more people leave South Florida each year than move here.

So in short IF Miami can get really big business here, bring down the housing cost and build out a good mass transit system (they should contract NYC's transportation engineers) then I think it could become HUGE. If not then it will remain a mediocre place with South Beach as its main draw (and that gets old after awhile)

As someone that was offered a job down in Miami a few years ago, that offered me less than what the same type of job is paying me here in SC, I can see this as being a huge problem. How is Miami/S Florida able to grow so much and charge so much for it's real estate while the jobs don't pay that well?

Miami along with alot of other big cities have had a small domestic migration and huge international migration, for example LA and Boston. But in 2027 the domestic migration will most definetly pick up because hopefully by then the house market will even out, even in the last 3, 4 years domestic met has picked up with the real estate boom and the number of companies relocating ,by 2027 the demographic will still be a majority hispanic then the african americans and the anglos the samll asian comminity that has continued to grow steadily for years will probaly be a little more prominant and the already large european population will also be more prominant, but in 2027 Miamis population will probaly be in the 500K and Miami Dade will be over 3 Million if not 4. By then the transportation issue will probaly look a little better with the metro rail expansions, highways extended and widened, extended commuter lines and a new ommuter line.

And about the paying jobs its really not that bad but for everybody it doesnt always even out with the house market, But right now Miami has the fastest growing wages in the country witht the increased finacial activity employment, wages grew three times the national average so who knows in 2027.

• 2 weeks later...
As someone that was offered a job down in Miami a few years ago, that offered me less than what the same type of job is paying me here in SC, I can see this as being a huge problem. How is Miami/S Florida able to grow so much and charge so much for it's real estate while the jobs don't pay that well?

Thats a very vague statement, to say only old people stay here!?!? Most people stay here surely, I do know of people leaving, but its not transient like you said, stuff like that happens everywhere and to alot of people, I for one would never go back to live permenantly to Orlando, the biggest issue facing SoFlo is how expensive it is.

Dont know how true that NPR thing is since the population keeps rising, be it people from South America and Europe, or people from the US, the Popoulation is still growing.

And back on topic now, this city is really growing and alot of stuff happening, so in 2027, it can only get better along with the other things Ive already mentioned in the previous post.

Thats a very vague statement, to say only old people stay here!?!? Most people stay here surely, I do know of people leaving, but its not transient like you said, stuff like that happens everywhere and to alot of people, I for one would never go back to live permenantly to Orlando, the biggest issue facing SoFlo is how expensive it is.

Dont know how true that NPR thing is since the population keeps rising, be it people from South America and Europe, or people from the US, the Popoulation is still growing.

And back on topic now, this city is really growing and alot of stuff happening, so in 2027, it can only get better along with the other things Ive already mentioned in the previous post.

• 2 weeks later...
south florida is VERY transient. I don't know many people who stay here for very long besides the old people. At least this is what I have noticed in Fort Lauderdale. So people come here, figure out it isn't the best place in the world and end up leaving. This NPR thing I mentioned earlier said 20,000 more people leave south florida each year than actually come here. I will be one of those fleeing come December.

I left Hollywood in March 07. We were lucky to sell our house to a lady who wanted to move from Weston to be living in the North Lake district. We did very well. If we had waited we would still be waiting. My wife and I miss our friends but living in Newburyport Mass on the water is a wonderful change in life style.No worry of a cat 5 up here. The leaves will be changing in a couple of weeks and no more Joe Rose.

Archived