Severe Weather

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy that was fun. I was up visiting some friends in Huntersville earlier. The lights went out a few times and their pets were flippin out. It was a great show. I didn't see any baseball sized hail, I'd call them quarter sized. I'm happy though because that means no dings in my car :tough:

We watched the storm from uptown on an upper floor -- intense. One of the local channels was showing a map of the storms, and we could literally see some of the areas they were showing and the very dark clouds with consistent, multiple lightening strikes everywhere. At one point the hail hit us and covered our balcony (covered balcony no less) with a single, but complete, layer of dime and quarter sized hail. Watching the parts of the storms that were far off was pretty amazing. First big storm since we moved in.

Not sure what time I fell asleep, long before midnight, and I thought it was done. Reawakened sometime around 1 or 2 to hear/see the rest of it.

Thanks for all the storm updates. Glad to see there was no baseball sized hail.

I was looking at the weather underground radar. They have this feature that shows the hail size within each T-storm. So I was curious to see if people were actually seeing baseball sized hail or not. You guys answered my question.

I guess the radar is a little over done....or maybe the baseball sized hail did happen but in very isolated spots. Let me know if you hear different stories from other people. Maybe someone did indeed have hail that large. Never know.

By the time the storms got to Raleigh area....they fell apart. We had one flash of lightning, and a very fast down pour. That was around midnight.

Oh boy that was fun. I was up visiting some friends in Huntersville earlier. The lights went out a few times and their pets were flippin out. It was a great show. I didn't see any baseball sized hail, I'd call them quarter sized. I'm happy though because that means no dings in my car :tough:

Weather Underground tends to over-emphasize things to get people to look at their website. True, there may be baseball size hail inside the cloud tops (20,000-30,000 ft.), however, the updrafts and such keep the hail in the cloud. It usually has to meet an accompanying downdraft or grow too heavy, for the hail to actually reach the ground. National Weather Service radio reported only quarter size hail reaching the ground in "isolated" spots. Not everyone saw hail. Also, some areas did get up to 2 inches of rain, though the actual reporting station for Charlotte (the airport ASOS) only received about a third of an inch from last night's and early this morning's storms. A far cry from what is needed.

Archived